Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Be aware in the shallow water flats!! Sandbar/Lyle
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostThu Jun 14, 07 9:09 am     Reply with quote

What you need is a huge ring or arc of video
cameras suspended from a helicopter.

Then fly it out over some wave riding

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostThu Jun 14, 07 9:10 am     Reply with quote

If you build it, I'll come write the software...

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jun 14, 07 9:51 am     Reply with quote

tekko wrote:

Stringy- Was planning on some lens time anyways. I've got the Liquid Force Team coming through in the next couple weeks. Julie arrives tonight, Davey Blair Tommorrow and Slezak and Moe later next week.

Planning to do some video (from the tripod) and would love a second angle. Let me know if you might be in the Gorge, or willing to shoot a few frames when we make it up to the Jetty next week.

tekko,
i can't wait to see what you can do behind the lens!
i am going to try and stay put in seattle until the first week of july. i would be happy to provide a second angle if they either come up to seattle or are still there in july.
keep in mind I am still learning how to film so its a progression. that being said, here's a video of my latest movie i made from a session a couple weeks back from jetty island...

http://www.youkiteboard.com/view_video.php?viewkey=fcba7cda0cf54a2e802f

better quality quicktime file :

http://www.livewireprototyping.com/kite/ji0601.mov

cosmodog

Since 06 Oct 2005
201 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Jun 14, 07 9:56 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
some Matrix style videography

Wrote some code to interpolate between cameras to cut down on the number of cameras needed. Worked ok - but then HD hit and the camera costs got crazy.
Check out the 3 camera test of my pooch:

http://flysim.com/data/cossmall.avi

-J.R.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostThu Jun 14, 07 10:07 am     Reply with quote

Bummer for sure, at least I never even got in the water before I blew my Achilles out.

My advice, get a netflix subscription. I have seen almost every movie ever made now. (and I'm 20lbs heavier).

time heals all wounds. (well not all, but your's it will Smile )

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jun 14, 07 10:13 am     Reply with quote

cosmodog wrote:
Quote:
some Matrix style videography

Wrote some code to interpolate between cameras to cut down on the number of cameras needed. Worked ok - but then HD hit and the camera costs got crazy.
Check out the 3 camera test of my pooch:

http://flysim.com/data/cossmall.avi

-J.R.

sickness! only 3 cameras? wow.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostThu Jul 26, 07 10:08 am     Reply with quote

Two incidents to add to this:

One was about 2 weeks ago, dislocated my left FU finger in the shallows at Lyle. Was a simple fall where my habit falling into a body drag position didn't work out so well. Can't give people the finger with my left hand even two weeks later. Sad

Yesterday hit my head on the sand at the Sandbar after a botched raley. Lost the board when I left the water so I kicked my feet out in front of me to get parallel with the water surface. Landed on my back trying to distribute the fall across my body so I don't hit bottom like I normally do but it didn't work in 4 inches of water. Nothing to bad, maybe a minor concussion but it didn't stop me from riding more.

None of this will really stop me from riding in shallow water (I'm to addicted to the flats), but I just think if you're going to do it, just be aware of what can happen.

For Reference the water was really low and there was nearly no kiddie pools on the Sandbar. I should have gone down and rode in the Hood River.

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostThu Jul 26, 07 10:45 am     Reply with quote

rideing in shallows, rideing without a helmet, hiting sliders, jumping land, rideing with a leash these are all added risks that everyone should evaluate on their own sometimes fun is worth the risk sometimes not. besides chicks dig scars

bleighty

Since 17 Apr 2006
86 Posts
St. Petersburg, FL

PostThu Jul 26, 07 12:30 pm     Reply with quote

I'll be staying at wishbone campground for a number of days soon.. are the shallows at lyle spread out or in one general area? pretty obvious when you are on the water?

I ride at a lot of shallow water launches and tides are a constant factor in choosing where to go. We've got some hidden shallows that can sneak up on ya.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostThu Jul 26, 07 12:37 pm     Reply with quote

It's really obvious, it won't sneak up on you.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: