Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kiteboarding 4 Cancer: Sign-up Now!
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Garret

Since 07 Sep 2006
254 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostThu May 31, 07 6:26 am    Kiteboarding 4 Cancer: Sign-up Now! Reply with quote

Attention all PNW kiteboarders! Kiteboarding 4 Cancer is on!

We all share a love for the wind and water. We also share a common thread through our own personal experience or relationships with family, friends, and others in our communities: We have all somehow been touched by Cancer. Founded from these personal experiences with cancer and the passionate drive to do something about it, a group of us saw an untouched opportunity to unite the diverse and enthusiastic kiteboarding community to do something good.

Kiteboarding 4 Cancer (KB4C) is sponsoring an event formed to unite the passions of kiteboarders with the willingness and drive to find the cause and a cure for this disease that is diagnosed in 1.4 million people every year. KB4C is excited to partner with the following Cancer-benefit organizations including: The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, The John Wayne Cancer Foundation, CureSearch - National Children's Cancer Foundation, and The Children's Cancer Association

The 1st Annual KB4C will take place on Saturday, Aug. 25, 2007 at the Hood River Event Site! Events of the day include…

KB4C Kite Derby ~ Hood River Event Site
Kiteboarding participants raise pledge money prior to the event for the partnering cancer organization of their choice. Set on the Columbia River, kiteboarders ride for prizes in kiteboarding and fundraising: Most money raised, Longest distance kiteboarded, and Best freestyle expression.

Silent Auction and Awards Party & Raffle that evening.

For complete details and registration and fundraising information, go to www.kb4c.org.

Go to the KB4C blog (www.kb4c.wordpress.com) for up-to-date news and information on the event and to share stories of motivation, struggle, support, and survival.

We are organizing this event very grass-roots, but we need your help to make this the biggest event in kiteboarding!

We are seeking volunteers!
- Boat/jetski support and water staff
- Silent Auction Coordinator & staff
- Registration staff
- Beach and kite marshals
- Photographer and Videographer

We are also in need of service/product donations for the event and silent auction including:
- Screenprinting & t-shirts for the event
- Sign & banner printing
- Large event tents, flags, and booth supplies
- Silent Auction items!

You can PM or email Garret or Tonia for more information on KB4C!

p.s.- You get to pump up and launch from the event site!

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu May 31, 07 6:46 am     Reply with quote

Sounds like a great event for a great cause!

I have connections with a local television news/talk show... PM me about posssible TV coverage if you guys are interested.

Nak

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu May 31, 07 8:44 am     Reply with quote

This is a great cause and I think everyone should try to participate! Start your own page and get donations from friends and family, I think it shouldn't be too hard to get some real money together. If you post on other forums/myspace/etc. make sure to update your signature with a link to your page to get even more donations!

Encourage your local industry/shop reps to get on board, you know its going to make all the mags and its going to be great exposure for sponsors.

Not to mention it will be awesome publicity for our sport and go a long ways towards gaining real respect with the Hood River / Northwest community.

As far as how I can help, we got a jetski we could bring. I'd like to participate in the event too though so I might need a co-pilot for the jetski.

Thanks Garret, Tonia, and Tekko for organizing this event!!!

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostThu May 31, 07 8:52 am     Reply with quote

Put my wife and I down as volunteers.

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostThu May 31, 07 8:58 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
I might need a co-pilot for the jetski.

You can count me in as co-pilot for the ski.

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu May 31, 07 9:09 am     Reply with quote

Yeah this sounds awesome, Ill be down there kiting, gotta help raise funds for people who need them most.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1744 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostThu May 31, 07 9:43 am    CSTK Reply with quote

Great idea, great cause. You have the support of the CSTK (Cancer Survivors That Kite) So far we have only two members, and with events like this and funding and research, we're kinda hoping to keep membership limited.

Hey, does anyone have Lance Armstrong's number?

Live Long and Dangle On!

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostThu May 31, 07 9:58 am     Reply with quote

This is a great event that Garret and Tonia are bringing to our kiteboard community.

You can definitely count on the 2nd Wind crew to help out in volunteer support and/or participation in the kiteboard event.

Pepi and the 2nd Wind Crew

www.Purestokesports.com

NERDSKI

Since 03 Mar 2006
31 Posts
THE DITCH

PostThu May 31, 07 11:37 am    20 FOOT HEWES CRAFT BOAT Reply with quote

MY BOAT IS AVAILABLE FOR YOU FOLKS! RESCUE, COMMITTEE BOAT, BOUY DROPPER, WHATEVER ALL DAY! IT'S SUITABLE FOR ALL KITEABLE CONDITIONS THE GORGE HAS TO OFFER! JUST PM ME AND WE'LL GET IT ORGANIZED.

kitekid

Since 15 Apr 2007
170 Posts

Stoked

PostThu May 31, 07 8:09 pm     Reply with quote

im in ill help with what ever or ill be rideing

Garret

Since 07 Sep 2006
254 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 01, 07 8:40 am     Reply with quote

Thanks every one for at the interest-- So far I have recieved some great offers for volunteer help and appreciate all of it. But the registration and donations are only sitting at $35-- a little short of the $30,000 we are shooting for-- so everyone get online and register. It is really easy.

As many of you may know Tonia's Brother is fighting for his life, battling cancer and what an awesome gift for both Tonia and Scott then to give everything we can to cure this disease!

Thanks and keep it coming--

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jun 01, 07 9:09 am     Reply with quote

Garret
I sent you an private email.
Why not contact DIMITRI MARAMENIDES of Eclipse Kites/Skywalker Boards? He donates a percentage of proceeds toward john wayne cancer foundation. He might have interest in helping the cause.

http://www.seattlekitesurfing.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6389&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=skywalker

http://www.skywalkerkiteboards.com/skywalker/contact/

stringy

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Jun 01, 07 9:29 am     Reply with quote

Garret - maybe we need a break down of how to sign-up? Also it seems like there are 4 different money pools? I actually signed up and donated to the Leukemia one, not the KB4C pool... I wonder if I should switch?

Garret

Since 07 Sep 2006
254 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 01, 07 11:43 am     Reply with quote

Just to clarify to everyone about donations. We (KB4C) are seeking donations to help us put on the event. You can donate funds for the KB4C event here: http://active.com/donate/kb4c. These donations will be used to cover the costs for the event- tents, DJ, tables, food etc. Unfortunately these are not tax deductible as we are not yet a non-profit organization. We are in the process of this, but wanted to put the event on this year and the application process takes a while. To donate auction items, email kb4c@hotmail.com or toniafarman@hotmail.com . Money from the silent auction will be donated to the charities

But to register for the event and as a KB4C kiteboarding fundraiser to donate to our partnering organizations, go to each of these pages:

Fundraising for, or donating to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society:
http://active.com/donate/kb4c-leukemia

Fundraising for, or donating to The John Wayne Cancer Foundation:
http://active.com/donate/kb4c-JWCF

Fundraising for, or donating to The National Children's Cancer Foundation:
http://active.com/donate/kb4c-curesearch

Thanks for your support and if you have any questions please email or PM me.

Finally your thoughts and prayers for Scott, Tonia's brother. He is currently in a fight for his life with his cancer.

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostSun Jun 03, 07 8:39 pm     Reply with quote

I hope to ride in this. janet will be there for jetski support. I have a personal interest in this as a cancer survivor, so lets raise some serious dough!

Teague

Since 10 Jul 2005
114 Posts
Really Windy Places
Stoked

PostTue Jun 05, 07 7:02 am     Reply with quote

This has got to be the coolest thing to hit kiteboarding!! I would love to see a huge turnout for this event making a great success for a great cause!

Nice work Tonia & Garret for putting this together!! Kim & I will enter & funraise for sure!

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Jun 05, 07 9:13 am     Reply with quote

Everybody should start posting their pages on this thread. As they come in we can update the original post with a list of all the participants.

Creating a page is pretty fast, only takes about 5-10 minutes. So go do it and send it email blast style to your friends and family.

Thumb's Up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: