Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Sauvies Route

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
mjc

Since 24 Mar 2007
101 Posts
Formerly Portland/Gresham, now VT
Stoked

PostMon May 14, 07 9:54 pm    Sauvies Route Reply with quote

Anyone have advice on the quickest route from Eastern Portland/Gresham to Sauvies during rush hour? Marine drive seems to be ok but curious about any other options. Thanks!

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4204 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon May 14, 07 10:08 pm     Reply with quote

If Marine drive is slow, cross the river at 205 and head west on 14. Use mapquest to find the best route from DT Vancouver to The Saint Johns bridge. Mapquest shows an odd route, but I've never run into traffic on that route either way, even during rush hour. I'd list the route, but I don't know it by name anymore. Good Luck!

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon May 14, 07 10:13 pm     Reply with quote

I live in Gresham and make that trip the same way as always, even during rush hour. From my house... Get on 205N, take 84W (can get slow, but isn't normally too bad), hop onto I-5N (normally the slowest part), cross over the Fremont, and follow the normal route. Usually takes 45 mins, and have had it take around an hour during those heavy traffic times. I dunno.

jimmyc

Since 04 Aug 2005
74 Posts
Cape Cod, MA

PostTue May 15, 07 9:31 am     Reply with quote

Curious where do you launch from?

http://www.sauvieisland.org/wp-content/uploads/sauvie_island_map_FIX.gif

I'll probably never ride there as I live on the east coast but I read this forum b/c the Gorge rules and I see "Sauvies" mentioned all the time...so was wondering where you ride...
(just some background info for the above question)

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostTue May 15, 07 9:35 am     Reply with quote

Honestly, I leave from Mall 205 all the time, and I have taken Lombard to St Johns bridge and just 84 to 405...

I think the traffic going into town is never that bad...just get in the fast lane and cruise... All the traffic is going the other way...and Lombard has tons of lights anyways.

So, I would say 84 to 405 to HWY 30/Vaughn St....that's what I stick with and it seems to be the quickest way for me. Unless I need to go home and get more gear..then I take St Johns cuz I live in NE.

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostTue May 15, 07 9:48 am     Reply with quote

http://www.nwkite.com/guides/sauvie_island/

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostTue May 15, 07 10:54 am     Reply with quote

I used to live in St. Johns and I would drive to Gresham everyday. It was always a toss between Marine dr and 84 some days it was faster to 84 than Marine dr and vs verses.

One way you could is Marine drive all the way down to North Portland Rd and you could follow the signs to the St. Johns bridge.

Map of st johns.png 

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostTue May 15, 07 5:48 pm     Reply with quote

Or just go to Woodland / Kalama

mjc

Since 24 Mar 2007
101 Posts
Stoked

PostTue May 15, 07 7:40 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for all the insight!!

Anyone get out there and ride tonight? Looks like the wind picked up after dinner...

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostWed May 16, 07 8:33 am     Reply with quote

Mike-didn't see you out there...?

Yeah,...I went home from work planning on going to the park to chill..and I figured, why not chill at Sauvies just in case....

So weirdo, on the way out (5:30)....no wind under the St. Johns, and no wind under Sauvies bridge....we get closer to the beach and the trees are blowing like crazy,....get to the harbor only to see major whitecaps on the river.

Crazy.

mjc

Since 24 Mar 2007
101 Posts
Stoked

PostWed May 16, 07 9:12 am     Reply with quote

Bummer.....had too many exams today to get out there. If it blows again tonight I'll be there for sure! Probably not until after 6pm though....will demos still be going on that late?

How's your wrist feeling Jake?

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostWed May 16, 07 9:30 am     Reply with quote

Dude, the skinny is: I am waiting for a CT Scan to confirm the screw movement....as of now it could just be a shadow....if it is, no big deal..

If the screw is moving...I might be fucked for a bit....bone graph to rebuild the scaphoid...then another sugery for a new screw...

I am just riding, not jumping, and crossing my fingers.... I might go out tonight too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: