Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

how to get out of work to go kiting?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostThu Apr 19, 07 12:30 pm    how to get out of work to go kiting? Reply with quote

I'm wondering if anyone has any great ideas on how to convince your work supervisor to let you get off work early to get your session going around 2 or 3'ish instead of just skipping lunch and getting to leave at 4:30?

Currently, the only one i know of is offereing to come in and work twice the amount of time on my day off that i take off. IE, i leave at 2pm on wendesday and come in and work from 8-2pm on my day off. which actually works pretty good during spring time wind, cause the wind doesn't really stabilize to later afternoon and i end up getting more work hours. I end up playing more days per week, but i also end up working 6 and sometimes 7 days a week Exclamation

I know there are some other tech heads out there on this forum who sit behind a computer all day. How do you convince the man to let you leave work early?

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostThu Apr 19, 07 12:35 pm     Reply with quote

My boss is kind of a turd, so, I can trick him....

Just give him a little verbal-jerk-off about how good we are doing, and how awesome the next day is going to be cuz we are all going to work real hard to find deals, etc.

And, he is a big fan of video games, so we get him talking about the new game he is playing and when he gets in a good mood...we're off! Cool

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostThu Apr 19, 07 12:50 pm     Reply with quote

i go in early... 6:30 usually.

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostThu Apr 19, 07 12:54 pm     Reply with quote

Here's something that always works....Come noon'ish...go to the bathroom - splash some real cold ass water in your face (make sure your eyes look kinda watery) - mess up the hair - walk up to him - look all sad - and tell 'em you got a bitchen head-ache that wont go away....
Dude, it always works for me....
Here's option #2 - another good one...(always work).
Have a kiting buddy call your manager...Tell 'em "you need to talk to so and so....asap".....
when you get off the phone with your buddy, tell your manager you got to split....your buddies car just broke down on the freeway...He needs help...

The boss is easy...It's the girlfriend (non-kiter) who I have the most trouble with....It's like being stuck in two worlds... Mad
The little devil on my left side says "wind is blowing-must go kiting"
and that angel on the right side says "don't listen to that prick, remember, your suppose to go have dinner @ 5 with the girlfriend and her mom"
huuumm....what to do....

ansarha

Since 01 Jul 2006
112 Posts
Redmond Oregon
Stoked

PostThu Apr 19, 07 2:50 pm    how to get out of work to go kiting? Reply with quote

what i did was had my boss go and watch and he took lessons and now watches the wind and always wants to go....
so what you should do is ask if he wants to go and you will never have a problem with going again.... Cool

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostThu Apr 19, 07 2:55 pm    Re: how to get out of work to go kiting? Reply with quote

one boss is a windsurfer, so he can relate for the need to get out on good windy days. The other boss has tried kiting, and doesn't really do it anymore, so, well.... no love on that front. He's got a wife, and two little kids, no time for kiting.

I find the best excuse is to be tell my windsurfer boss that the forecast is no good for this weekend and thats why i need to get out now.

BigR

Since 05 Jul 2005
372 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostFri Apr 20, 07 2:56 am     Reply with quote

I can go whenever I want to go and its windy, but then again my boss is a kiter and usually wants to go kiting as well, my boss is also my wife Shocked

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostFri Apr 20, 07 1:38 pm     Reply with quote

BigR wrote:
I can go whenever I want to go and its windy, but then again my boss is a kiter and usually wants to go kiting as well, my boss is also my wife Shocked

Umm...not to pry, but how and where did you find someone to be awesome at three of the most important roles in your life (wife, boss, kiting buddy in no particular order Wink)??? Or if this arrangement was created from the ground up could you post some notes on getting your girlfriend/wife to get into kiting and also become your boss?

Thanks! I think we'd all appreciate that Smile

BigR

Since 05 Jul 2005
372 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostSat Apr 21, 07 2:11 am     Reply with quote

First, she's gotta be really smart , ( like a doctor or something like that otherwise she could never boss a kiter around ) this happens before you meet her.
Second, She's gotta be a windsurfer or other watersports nut, then all you gotta do is TURN HER, ( teaching kitesurfing to your girlfriend takes alot of time/ patience ) to the bright side of the road.
Third, I guess you have to have a talent/ education she thinks she can use!

Heck, combine the three and its easy from there!

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostSat Apr 21, 07 10:09 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I got two of the three, but am missing the second one. I got her to body drag a couple times, but she felt too out of control. Of course I did teach her to snowboard last year so maybe eventually she'll warm up to kiting as well...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: