Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Respect the Event Site please.
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
DownStream

Since 18 Apr 2007
381 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Apr 19, 07 1:35 pm     Reply with quote

someone getting pissed off for some reason? i dont think thats necessary

what do i (we) want, you inquire...
first i ask, who wants a big sandbar? we cant ride on sand. that thing is a perennial frustration that the town should be responsible for maintaining, just like the thousands of towns up and down our coasts maintain their beaches. with a budget and a plan.

who wants a lot of space for hanging out at the waterfront and kiteboarding and windsurfing??

HR's entire waterfront should be rescued from the 'port authority' and their ever failing industrial-development designs (that produce nothing and benefit no one) and reconfigured into a usable, more natural, shoreline that benefits everyone.

plow down the levees. restore the river.

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostThu Apr 19, 07 1:41 pm     Reply with quote

we're getting screwed no matter what. Think about it, what if next year there is no sandbar? do you really think they will open up the event site to kite launching? or the marina? HA! trust me, if there is no sandbar, we'll either be going renegade at the marina or pulling parking lot launches at the sand spit. period. the event site is a windsurfing launch and it will remain that way for a long time to come.

thats not to say, we shouldn't respect the rules that the CGWA and CGKA have set forth and agreed upon. I personally love rolling my kite up on the event site grass, and i also like the much much shorter walk to our launching area from the event site. Those are the two reasons we should respect the rules. We should just show good will towards windsurfers simply because we are good & accepting people.

DownStream

Since 18 Apr 2007
381 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Apr 19, 07 1:58 pm     Reply with quote

its time to move beyond 'the event site' and 'the sandbar' (those issues have had their debates and been dealt with, for better or worse we'll find out). its time to start talking about the entire waterfront, as a whole. this town has a lot of growing up to do and although having a proper waterfront will happen eventually, the process can only gain and be speeded up from our collective influence and momentum (kiters and windsurfers, and anyone who wants more waterfront)

just think about it. then talk about. then....

sewage plants gonna have to move too. (and on another note: why is there no downtown parking structure.? no ones answered that one for me yet)

DownStream

Since 18 Apr 2007
381 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Apr 19, 07 2:05 pm     Reply with quote

why do you guys like the sandbar, anyway? its a huge area that we can no longer ride.

i thought last year was really good, a nice long bar acting as a wave break, a long gradual grade to deeper water upwind from that bar so beginners could walk upwind and learn without the risk of being drug downwind into deep water and into trouble, the pond could have been deeper, but it was almost an ideal design.

how is the huge sandbar good?

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostThu Apr 19, 07 2:11 pm     Reply with quote

DownStream wrote:
how is the huge sandbar good?

shorter walk from the event site Laughing

i've never stated the new sand bar was good. Frankly, i liked last years sandbar way better. Even when there wasn't high water, i still launched from the sand spit parkign lot and walked my kite out, then rode in on the little stream that came all the way in and generally self landed behind the trees down in the little hole there.

It doesn't really matter if it is good or bad, everyone will have an opinion on that. The bottom line is, what you see is what you get, and we're stuck with it.

some people claim, that having a bigger sandbar gives us more realestate near and on the water. I agree with you downstream, more sandbar == less room to kite.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3678 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostThu Apr 19, 07 2:36 pm     Reply with quote

more sandbar == less room to kite

How many more people are going to learn to kite this year? Next year? With the new restrictions where is everyone going to go?

Lets start talking about how to make more launches. What is the process? How much money are we talking? How much red tape? Where do we start?
~M

www.naishkites.com

cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Apr 19, 07 7:57 pm     Reply with quote

Guys -- Its easy enough to follow the rules and not pump up kites and lay out lines on the grass.

Signs are on the way which will outline the situation.

The windsurfing community worked hard to build up the event site, so we all need to respect it!

The primary Goal and Function of the CGKA is to preserve and expand access for kiters in the gorge. Progress however does not happen overnight and its important to have the right people on board.

Living in the now, everyone can do their part by respecting the situation at the Event Site and making sure others do as well.

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1315 Posts

Possessed

PostThu Apr 19, 07 9:25 pm     Reply with quote

Here's a sign that should cover it Smile

This is a private park owned by the Windsurfers
ALL TRESSPASSERS WILL BE PROSECUTED

Seriously though....

I appreciate all the hard work the windsurfers have
done to convince the port to build a PARK. One that
everyone should be allowed to enjoy equally.

I agree that launching and landing kites on the grass
would be unsafe and needs to be done out on the
sand bar. But pumping up and deflating/rolling
up kites and generally just hanging out on the grass
by my kite should not be a problem.

CGKA needs to take a stronger stance in negotiations
with the port. Don't let your willingness to work
together obscure the need to stand up for our equal
rights as park users.

This my casual opinion based only on what I've read
here. I"m not sure if there exists a more up to date
source of information and opinions on this matter.

-Hein

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostFri Apr 20, 07 9:57 am     Reply with quote

I totally agree with Hein! Very well said!! This is a fair compromise. ~Dano

PS As far as the compromise, how about no kites on the grass west of the bathroom building? Then there will be a clear separation of kites and windsurf rigs.

Hein wrote:
... I agree that launching and landing kites on the grass

rights as park users... -Hein

Last edited by Onad on Fri Apr 20, 07 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total

cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Apr 20, 07 10:16 am     Reply with quote

Guys the CGKA appreciates and needs feedback from kiters. If you think you have ideas about what needs to go down please make it a point to show up at our next meeting which will be announced in the next couple of days.

Put a little sweat equity behind your words and do your part.

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostFri Apr 20, 07 10:28 am     Reply with quote

CGKA, I would love to attend a meeting. How about scheduling one for a weekend evening so those who live outside of Hood River can attend?

Tx, Dano

PS this is not the first time many of us have made this request.

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostFri Apr 20, 07 10:35 am     Reply with quote

The last meeting was on a Saturday. I live in PDX too but getting to the gorge on a spring evening usually is just a good excuse to go ride.

shredjim

Since 07 Jun 2006
186 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Apr 20, 07 10:38 am     Reply with quote

Onad Rednaxela wrote:
I totally agree with Hein! Very well said!! This is a fair compromise. ~Dano

Hein wrote:
... I agree that launching and landing kites on the grass

rights as park users... -Hein

Why don't you guys become active CGKA members and take part in the negotiations, instead of making complaints about decisions you chose to not participate in? You guys are smart enough to figure out that if kite pumping and anything to do with lines is allowed on the event site grass, it will lead to launching and landing there as well - just like what is happening now. Be cool and support what you know is the right thing. We all will benefit from it.

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostFri Apr 20, 07 11:00 am     Reply with quote

Hey Jim, I’m not looking to complain, just offering ideas. I thought you guys in the CGKA were the representatives for the kite community and taking the issues to the Port?

If you need some specific support in the negotiations or preparing the proposal please let us all know what that is?

Perhaps you could post a document with the CGKA’s proposal and current meeting minutes so everyone can be on the same page?

~D

PS Please don’t get the wrong idea. The efforts of the CGKA are much appreciated!

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostFri Apr 20, 07 12:39 pm     Reply with quote

shredjim wrote:

Why don't you guys become active CGKA members and take part in the negotiations, .

I recently signed up for CGKA membership. I suggest anyone who has a concern with the direction of the association to sign up. Thats the first step. If that is inadequate, I would also suggest proactively talking directly to the associations' representatives to find out what you can do to resolve matters.

shredjim wrote:

if kite pumping and anything to do with lines is allowed on the event site grass, it will lead to launching and landing there as well - just like what is happening now. Be cool and support what you know is the right thing. We all will benefit from it.

Even though intially many might not see the problem with setting up gear on the grass, I understand that if others, less informed on the sensitivity of the relationship with CGWA, CGKA, and the port, may see the kites on the grass and assume it is ok to start rigging, launching whatever. There are probably many kiters that visit this area from out of town, that may not be up to date on the happenings around the sandbar/event site issues.

stringy

scooter

Since 23 Apr 2005
99 Posts
hood River

PostFri Apr 20, 07 1:34 pm     Reply with quote

I saw an add on Hood River News for a new park host at the event site. Did you guys scare away the old one? Shocked
If anyone needs a cheap place to live this summer, there you go.

h2olm

Since 07 Jun 2006
124 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Apr 20, 07 3:38 pm     Reply with quote

Wow, finally someone with some good sense and an open mind (Stringy)! For months I have been reading posts about the sand bar and the Event site, and, I must say that the "us against them" mentality seems so disheartening! I can understand it when it comes from some of the young ones, but from the "more mature" kiters, it really disturbs me. As a windsurfer, I have rescued many kiters who have gotten in the River and were way over there heads. As a kiter, I have been helped by windsurfers as well as other kiters. I don't get the them against us attitude when I'm with the windsurfing crowd. Of course there are always some bad apples in every bunch. What difference does it make whether you windsurf, kitesurf, whatever. As a kiter, you should know that it can be a dangerous sport for the people around you who know nothing about the sport. There will be many people out swimming and playing with their children at the Event Site, sand bar, marina and so on. If you have your kite laying around these areas and one of the novices gets slammed by an over turned kite due to some freak gust, kiteboarding would be the one to get a black eye (and the kiter would get the big doctor bill). When has any one ever heard of a windsurfer slamming in to an innocent by stander? NEVER! How many time have you heard about a kiteboarder taking out some poor by stander? OFTEN!
I don't sail at the Event Site and I hardly kite at the sand bar much either, but I live in HR, and it would be nice to have it remain open as a convenient option.
I'm with Stringy and I will rig my kite on sand and leave the grass to the landlocked masses.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: