Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Respect!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tekko

Since 20 Feb 2006
376 Posts
White Salmon
Liquid Force

PostWed Mar 21, 07 7:18 am    Respect! Reply with quote

Just wanted to throw out a couple shout outs of respect for some things I saw yesterday.

#1- Respect to the Rufus Blade Man!

I arrived at Rufus midday yesterday after driving east from the overcast Gorge. ( I really wanted to ride my 8m ) When I arrived no one was out, and it looked windy. I set up and just before I launched, saw a Flexifoil Blade launch from behind the rock pile... seconds later he was out on the water.

I got out a few minutes later and rode for about an hour with just the two of us out. At times, I would have to say that it was like 15-35... and the current was nuking. I even crashed my kite a few times.

For those who have come after the Blade.. the Blade is a 2 line open cell foil traction kite... in fact the one that all open cell trainer kites hvae been based on since. No depower.. no relaunch. If it goes down.. you swim...

This guy rode the challenging conditions and did so with style. Expertly piloting the kite in difficult conditions.

Respect!

#2- Respect for dedication to learning.

After Rufus I went back to my Gorge office for a few hours. Seeing that there was still breeze around 5pm and sunshine east, I went off to Lyle to try and grab another sesh.

When I arrived I saw a young kayaker learning with a windwing kite. Flying it, relaunching it, etc. As I made my way into the water.. he had just done so as well.

For the entire hour plus session I rode, this guy was in the water, body dragging upwind both ways, relaunching his kite, etc. Putting in serious water time and becoming more comfortable with the kite and progressing significantly.

Way to put in the time and get it! It is obvious that this guys wants to be ripping by the time it's warm and so is practicing his basics now, while it is still cold.

Respect for the dedication dude!
(note: the kayaker was in cold water gear, with pfd and helmet.. so being safe about what he was doing in the conditions)

I have been fortunate enough to work with some of the top riders in the sport over the years and have seen some amazing things and yet, I am always thrilled when I see some new riders charging it, or guys riding difficult gear in difficult conditions...

Thanks for making me smile guys! Keep Charging it!!

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Mar 21, 07 7:53 am     Reply with quote

man, what a cool post! i mean it. way to share the props. makes me proud to be one of the pack.

about repsect: you got to show it to know it.

i do not care how good a rider you are (young-uns do ya feel me here?), the sport is bigger than any one of us.

we are all brothers-in-arms.

jimmi

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Mar 21, 07 8:36 am     Reply with quote

i have seen blade man out almost every nuking day that i have been in the gorge. he is on incredibly long lines. would be interesting to trade gear for 30 minutes.

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostWed Mar 21, 07 10:02 am     Reply with quote

Yea, I caught his kite one very windy East wind day at Stevenson. I couln't figure out why he was body dragging in. He walked up and told me that his harness gave way and he had to come in un-hooked.
Talk about respect.....un-hooked in strong winds and a very unforgiving kite.... Exclamation

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostWed Mar 21, 07 3:17 pm     Reply with quote

Brad rules on that blade, and has been on it since the dawn of kiteboarding. Respect fo sure!

Bam

Reaper356

Since 10 Dec 2006
781 Posts
Salem / LC Oregon
Opinionated

PostWed Mar 21, 07 4:57 pm     Reply with quote

Any clue on the size?

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1744 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostWed Mar 21, 07 11:24 pm     Reply with quote

thats zack on the blade foils, I also kited that day at rufus and it was UGLY. Zack was on a 4m blade and kited for 2 hours. he is part polar bear.

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostThu Mar 22, 07 12:40 am     Reply with quote

Hey Mark,

Too much sun and freaking salt in the ears lately... Duh, Zack... of course! Anyway, R.E.S.P.E.C.T. to him for ripping all these years on the foils.

Jon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: