Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Harness (again)
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostTue Mar 20, 07 6:33 am    Harness (again) Reply with quote

i see this thread all the time, but i'm in the market for a new harness...
i've been looking at (waist harness):
Naish - Diamond
Best
LF - luxury
DaKine-pyro
Mystic Warrior

anything anyone can tell me about some of the cool things you like about them (more than what I can read online) would be greatly appreciated!

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostTue Mar 20, 07 7:29 am     Reply with quote

Dakine - Pyro

I like that the whole harness hook will move toward your leading hip when you ride toe side. Another words, the harness hook moves from one side to the other about 3 or 4 inches if you want it to. Not sure if they designed it to do this, or it was an accident, but it's rad.

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostTue Mar 20, 07 10:17 am     Reply with quote

I come from a Dakine Fusion seat harness (have used them for years due to comfort and back support). I recently wanted to go to a harness with more freedom and demoed my friend's Mystic Warrior from last year. I have to say it was surprisingly nice for a waist harness. The support was fairly good, it rode up a lot less than a Dakine waist harness I demoed a couple years ago (Mystic has a cool strap along the bottom of the spreader bar that holds the bar down and prevents it from pushing up on your ribs and sliding up). The freedom was great too (which I'm sure most waist harnesses have). I was able to ride blind for over 5 seconds for the first time and grabs, etc were great. I also didn't feel as sore as I thought I would after switching to a waist harness from a seat for an entire session. It was also great for toeside riding as Forrest said about the Pyro, but I don't think it moved over as much.

I can't compare it too well with other new waist harnesses, but I've always heard good reviews about it NOT riding up and felt that it was pretty accurate. I just ordered a Mystic Firestarter waist harness (top of the line addition for this year above the Warrior) that's supposed to have even more back support and freedom of movement compared to the Warrior. If you're willing to wait 1.5 weeks I'll be testing this baby down at San Carlos and can give you a much better report about the performance of the Mystic harnesses. The only downside is the premium they charge for these, but at least you get a spreader bar, bar pad, and handlepass leash with it.

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostTue Mar 20, 07 10:59 am     Reply with quote

their is a thread on kiteforum about this the mystic warrior wins hands down.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostTue Mar 20, 07 11:09 am     Reply with quote

What about Mystic's new harness? It's more expensive than the Warrior. I'm probably just going to go with the '07 Warrior though.

Firestarter!

EDITED: because I can't spell... Crying or Very sad

Last edited by Kataku2k3 on Tue Mar 20, 07 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostTue Mar 20, 07 11:25 am     Reply with quote

I love my Da Kine Pyro!!

And the bonus is the Da Kine office is local (downtown Hood River) if you ever have warranty questions/issues…

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6549 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Mar 20, 07 12:22 pm     Reply with quote

are there any local mystic dealers?

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostTue Mar 20, 07 12:40 pm     Reply with quote

Local as in the US, or local here in Oregon? I'm probably going to order mine through Live2Kite.com. Not sure where JW go his.

TWIN-FIN

Since 24 May 2006
805 Posts
Portland, OR
Hot Monkey

PostTue Mar 20, 07 12:52 pm     Reply with quote

Dude,
I have a 06 pyro (black/red) for sale. Its in very good condition.
If you are interested PM me.
Later
jP

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostTue Mar 20, 07 12:58 pm     Reply with quote

Kataku2k3 wrote:
Local as in the US, or local here in Oregon? I'm probably going to order mine through Live2Kite.com. Not sure where JW go his.

Adam, I just got done ordering mine just the other day...I got an '07 Warrior...I'm also getting my through live2kite.com
If you call them, they will waive the shipping charges (12.00)
They also offer price match...
But Adam, call 'em...Just to make sure they have an extra small on stock. Wink
I have also been told that the Mystic already come with the bar and pad...I guess we'll see...

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostTue Mar 20, 07 5:12 pm     Reply with quote

i HAVE (2) dAkINE pYRO'S , and last years LF

Da Kine Pyro (2005/2006 models)- Nice fit and feel. The webbing ripped out on both Harneses. I had it re-stitched at Gorge Surf - the guy told me this happens alot with this model of harness. I should have looked into Warranty.

LF (2006) - Still a nice harness - Handlepass leash (across the back) included - no knife included - Buckle is plastic, unlike the pyro which is metal - no problems yet. Bar included - paid 85$ new.

It looks as if the Mystic has a plastic buckle too - That seems like it could be a weak link.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostTue Mar 20, 07 6:03 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Tony! And in regard to its construction. If Ruben can do everything he does in it, I'll never be able to break one... Laughing

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6549 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Mar 20, 07 7:13 pm     Reply with quote

Ha - yeah Adam, Ruben's loops are good for load testing I'd imagine.

Teague

Since 10 Jul 2005
114 Posts
Really Windy Places
Stoked

PostTue Mar 20, 07 8:24 pm     Reply with quote

Ive always stuck with Pyros and been happy with them so far. I had one blow some stitching out on the spreader bar straps last year, sent it in to Dakine and they bomb-proofed it for free. No probs from there. I have been looking at the new Mystics. They look real comfortable and pretty solid. I'll get a chance and test one of these out soon and form an opinion. Talk to Jason, he's a new dealer for Mystic. Seattle Kiteboarding Center @ 206-779-3272

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostWed Mar 21, 07 12:39 am     Reply with quote

I haven't heard a complaint yet from a Mystic harness owner, and they all seem to love 'em. I'll post a review of the Firestarter after my trip to San Carlos as I mentioned. Should be money.

DaKine warranty is amazing for sure! They stand behind their product like no other company I've known.

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostWed Mar 21, 07 6:25 am     Reply with quote

Kataku2k3 wrote:
Thanks for the info Tony! And in regard to its construction. If Ruben can do everything he does in it, I'll never be able to break one... Laughing

No Shit, Ruben's the man...Prime example of load testing...
I actually been using an '05 Pyro...I like 'em - Nice harness and like everyone else says, they're bomb proof....So next to the cockroach, they seem to last...
But that pyro I got seems to get loose a little on me during the longer sessions in the water, and I tend to feel a little lack of mobility when trying new tricks....Maybe it's me - I'm not sure...
What I do know - as I'm getting better, I'm looking for more mobility and I want that harness to stay strapped tight during the longer periods in the water. I'm hoping the Mystic might work better - for me...
I have also been thinking that maybe the newer '07 pyros might also offer soomething better than the older '05 Pyro that I have...I might be able to save money getting a pyro than the mystic. But I think I'll stick with the mystic...From a visual perspective, they look pretty killer.

JW

Since 28 Jan 2006
227 Posts
portland
Stoked

PostWed Mar 21, 07 7:12 am    mystic Reply with quote

I HAVE A MYSTIC HARNESS AND IT IS HANDS DOWN THE BEST.THEY RUN A LITTLE SMALL .THERE WETSUITS ARE REALLY NICE AND MADE FOR KITEING NO JELLO LEAG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: