Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

DO NOT LAUNCH AT THE EVENT SITE!!!!!!
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bandito

Since 07 May 2005
178 Posts

Photographer

PostSun Mar 18, 07 7:14 pm    DO NOT LAUNCH AT THE EVENT SITE!!!!!! Reply with quote

The newly acquired access to the spit from the Event Site has been a great blessing, but a few of us are launching and landing kites on Event Site Property. This is not allowed and is going to get the place shut down in a hurry. Let's try to self police this and keep the area open for all to enjoy. If we work together and enforce the no launching or landing rule we get a grassy area to hang out at and watch all of our buddies kite, a short walk to the spit, restrooms, a nice parking lot and no driving down a dusty bumpy road. Now let's not ruin it by launching and landing kites off the grass. Just walk the extra hundred feet and launch off the sand and we may be in for a great summer of hanging out together at the future hood river kite park!
Bandito

PoleVaulter

Since 18 Mar 2007
7 Posts
Gorge
Kook

PostSun Mar 18, 07 8:02 pm     Reply with quote

I saw it happen, there were 3 kiters who launched at the event site today, they were the first 3 folks on the water. These guys should cut it out. That windsurfer who was taking pics looked real pissed. Look out SherryB he probably already emailed them to you.

Everybody else at the event site was cool and walked to the bar. Even the guys who launched from the grass landed on the bar.

How about that grass and asphalt, beats the hell out of dirt and rocks... now we know how the other half lives. Lets keep it going.

Portland Pete

Since 08 Mar 2005
145 Posts
HR
Stoked

PostSun Mar 18, 07 8:05 pm     Reply with quote

Agreed

Any suggestions for Self-Policing guidelines ?

only pump/deflate kites on grass ?

lines strungout on grass might be a little too tempting for launch

other opinions ?

Pete

PoleVaulter

Since 18 Mar 2007
7 Posts
Gorge
Kook

PostSun Mar 18, 07 8:12 pm     Reply with quote

i would say...

pumping on grass = cool
lines on grass = bad

no reason for it anyway because you'd still need to wind them up and theres plenty of room on the bar.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Mar 18, 07 8:19 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah don't launch there... its not far to the sand anyway, and its safer for you and your gear.

I'm guessing by mid summer parking will run out at the event site, that's going to be a real stress point as well.

endoshred

Since 22 May 2006
232 Posts
HR
Stoked

PostSun Mar 18, 07 8:51 pm     Reply with quote

having kited there today (launched from the sand), it makes sense to wade out and rig on the sand. i could see why it could be nice to blow up or deflate kites on nice clean grass, but stringing lines on grass is not needed. this could for sure imply a launch from the grass. no need to escalate tensions. just wade out, string the lines on the sand and launch.

of course as soon as the water levels rise, the current waist deep wading will turn into an interesting swim for those daring enough to try. seems that in that situation we will return to making the usual long walk from the sandspit parking lot. im sure the windsurfers will now not only be praying for high wind but for high water. high water will probably be the major obsticle preventing kiters access to the spit through the event site lot.

hmmmm.... could be a money making opportunity running the new event site to sandspit ferry service. now who has those wave runners?

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostSun Mar 18, 07 10:55 pm     Reply with quote

Endo your comments are spot on for keeping the safety and happiness at the Event Site.

Jim Grady was originally responsible for posting a note to the NW Kite forum, but apparently did not have the chance to post any details after our last meeting, so I'll try to fill you guys in on the current situation with the CGKA, CGWA and the Port of Hood River.

After the most recent Port of Hood River community meeting to discuss the new Delta issue, I spoke with Cory Roeseler, Kirsten Andrews, Jim Grady(all 3 are CGKA representatives) and some key representatives from the Columbia Gorge Windsurfing Association about our forming an alliance to work together in creating some standards for safety requirements between kiters and windsurfers as well as establishing segregated launch and landing zones for windsurfers and kiters at the Event Site and Sandbar.

We felt that we had a good core representation from the kite contingent in having Cory, Kirsten and Jim as the kite representatives to speak for the needs of the kite community (both recreational and schools). For the windsurf representation, we have Katie Crafts (Exec Dir of CGWA) and 2 key board of director representatives from the CGWA (including myself).

At this moment, the committee is working to put together a solid list of safety recommendations/rules to have posted on signage at both the Sandbar and Event Site, as well as an aerial photo/map of the Sandbar/Event Site with designated kiteing and windsurfing launch zones.
The Port of Hood River has expressed a solid amount of support for our pursuing this course of action.

Endoshred and Sheri are both correct in that we really need to keep things running smoothly around here by following all the currently established rules.
This does not mean that Kiters cannot access the Sandbar via the Event Site, there are no issues there.
What we really need to see is those kiters accessing via the Event Site to not be pumping up their kites, setting lines, or launching off the Event Site. This is a definitely not tolerated by either the Port of hood River or the greater Hood River Community (Don't worry about the Windsurfers, the greater community is who you definitely don't want to piss off).

Stay posted, and we'll keep the info coming back to you guys.

Jim if you are out there, please feel free to add any comments from the CGKA that I may have not covered.

Thanks
Pepi

www.Purestokesports.com

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Mar 18, 07 11:05 pm     Reply with quote

Pepi,

I understand the need for leaving line rigging and launching off of the event site. Is pumping up and deflating kites on the grass really unobtainable? There should be no safety concerns as long as lines remain wrapped on the bar. This would be a great help to a lot of kiters... If there's space on the grass, what would be the harm? Is there any chance the port might allow something like this? Perhaps limit it during peak periods... (Summer weekends, 9 to 6?) Maybe even limit Kite inflation/deflation to a specific area of the grass?

Just a few thoughts.
Nak

kitezilla

Since 22 Jun 2006
453 Posts
gorge
Obsessed

PostMon Mar 19, 07 6:00 am     Reply with quote

Nak wrote:
Pepi,

There should be no safety concerns as long as lines remain wrapped on the bar.
Nak

Be prepared to counter this kind of argument from anti-kiterites:

(1) A curious child may lift up the leading edge of a kite to see what's under it... wind flips up the kite....childs' neck gets caught in the bridle ...etc.

(2) Running dog's foot or trailing leash catches in unsecured kite's bridle...wind flips over kite...kite takes off...or, loose bridle line loops around someone's foot...snags on the buckle of their Chaco...

(3) A not uncommon wind shift gets behind the unattended kite and blows the loose and tumbling kite out into the water, where an innocent windsurfer is standing and waiting for wind, and BAM ...gets slammed into the mast...knocking out teeth, etc.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostMon Mar 19, 07 8:03 am     Reply with quote

Kitezilla is correct.

The Event Site also is already so over crowded with windsurfers, that it is very hard to even set down your windsurf rig without getting a panel ripped out by a fin from an upside down windsurf board.

Kids, dogs and overcrowding at the Event Site are primary reasons for why it needs to stay as only a windsurfing site and the Sandbar stays as only a kiteboarding site.

The launch and safety zones will help to protect and preserve launch access for not only windsurfer, but kiters as well.

Think about this - Since the windsurfers outnumber the kiters, probably around 25-to-1 across the Gorge, the Event Site likely averages dou ble this number(accounting for families with kids and friends). When all these Event Site sailors hit the beach this summer with that nice new, large sandy beach just off the Event Site, where do you think most of those sailors, kids, dogs and friends will all end up at? The Sandbar.

Did I even remember to mention all the tourists that come down to sit on the beach, or the 200,000 kids that come through in June/July to park down on Port Property for the Thomas the Train event held each year?

The Windsurfers will pile up on the Sandbar like lemmings, since many of the East Event Site sailors usually cannot sail upwind.
Kids will be loving the shallow wading water.
Dogs will be cut loose to poop and run losse far away from all the crowds and rigged sails at the Event Site (plus their being somewhat of a leash law there).

So, my point being, that we need to get some safety rules and requirements in place, as well as some very well established and visible launch and landing safety zones set up to protect and preserve both the kiteboard launch area and windsurf launch area.

Once we get into the hot summer season, I think that there will be more than a few kiters frustrated this summer with the pile up of windsurfers ending up on their nice, large, and formerly secluded Sandbar.

Rules are good for everyone involved. Sometimes they suck, but unfortunately most times they are necessary.
When 2-3 people choose to break these rules, they ruin it for the 30-40 others that have been cordially abiding by those rules that we all agreed upon to ensure our continued access.

The dialogue on this subject has been good and important for us all to keep public so as to keep the information as open and widely shared as possible.

Hopefully Jim or one of the CGKA reps will chime in on this dialogue.

Thanks
Pepi

www.Purestokesports.com

Portland Pete

Since 08 Mar 2005
145 Posts
HR
Stoked

PostMon Mar 19, 07 8:51 am     Reply with quote

- Kitezilla

Good point about bridles

-Pepi

Thanks for all your much appreciated insight to the larger picture at hand

Distance and separation from un-informed public is a good idea

The grass for spectating is a huge improvement for kiter families

Let's keep it safe

Pete

EdG

Since 19 Dec 2005
424 Posts
Just a Kook that's
Obsessed

PostMon Mar 19, 07 11:14 am     Reply with quote

Pepi wrote:

Kids, dogs and overcrowding at the Event Site are primary reasons for why it needs to stay as only a windsurfing site and the Sandbar stays as only a kiteboarding site.

Do you mean windsurfer can't launch from the Sandbar/Delta? I'm half kidding. Last year kiting was only allowed at the Sandbar, and it was very small. This year the Sandbar is crowding Event Site, but Windsurfers can launch on the Sandbar/Delta. Seems like a double standard.

I have been keeping this in for a while and needed to vent.

I also look forward to the signage Laughing That should help greatly..

boredbrain

Since 16 Feb 2006
352 Posts
Hood River
Obsessed

PostMon Mar 19, 07 12:07 pm    Dangerous kiters caused this in the first place! Reply with quote

Let's look back on why kites were banned from the event site.

Because of very dangerous events taking place and disrespect of others.

Kites are ALWAYS going to be considered dangerous.

Now I see a lot of LAZY people who are afraid of a little sand. It was bad enough to see people pumping kites and then layout lines, and then to LAND one, never saw anyone launch.

I'm a convert, but I was windsurfing around here since early 80's when I used to sleep in my van by the river.

As soon as Kites have been around for 25+ years and actually provide an INCREASE in revenue over and above what the tourist are doing now, you may get a little symphathy and a plot of lawn to rig on.

Before windsurfing, the community was extremly poor, and the new buisnesses where accepted with a grain of salt, they paved the way and still have exclusive right to the event site. The site was built for them, not us.

It will be up to the windsurfing community as to share the lawn or not.

So follow the rules, or expect some one to tell you them.

Only use the "DELTA".

my 2 cents

BK

PoleVaulter

Since 18 Mar 2007
7 Posts
Gorge
Kook

PostMon Mar 19, 07 12:20 pm     Reply with quote

The sandbar on a crowded July day is a kookfest, I would be scared to death if I saw signs of that kookfest setting up shop right in front of my grassy eden.

But hey, that's what's going to happen.

Pumping on the grass or not, is not going to be the biggest problem for the windsurfers... but it is one of the few things that could be legally regulated. They have no say over what we do in the water or the sand. You could hang out 10 feet offshore with your kite straight up in the air no problem. Are they going to start changing marine laws too? probably not.

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostMon Mar 19, 07 12:58 pm     Reply with quote

In The water is going to be the biggest problem. There used to be a crowded line of kiteers rideing right above the sand bar and then a 100 yards up a crowded line of windsurfers right above the event sight. now they will be in the same spot.

Teague

Since 10 Jul 2005
114 Posts
Really Windy Places
Stoked

PostMon Mar 19, 07 2:25 pm     Reply with quote

Keep um separated...Keep the peace! Same rules should apply as always. I don't see any reason to change access points other than the nicer bathrooms anyways. Idealy if we tread lightly and remain cooporative we may someday be blessed with a nicer parking area and facilities. If we don't and we start intruding west then they may just shut the whole thing down.

I still dream about a foot-bridge to Wells Is. and a little debris clearing. Wink nicer wind there too...yum. Very Happy

All-n-All just get to the sand, rig and launch quick with your buddies, up-wind west out of the BeeHive via the Washington side, ride up there till your done, come back down-wind to the sand via the Washington side, cross into Sandbar, land, de-rig and go drink beer. That has been the majority of my Sandbar sessions and tend to be the best ones.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostMon Mar 19, 07 3:08 pm     Reply with quote

We kiteboarders will always be the snowboarder punks. Like it, or leave it. Lets just continue to turn the other cheek so we can at least ride in Hood River.

Our revenge will be the smiles on our faces as we pass yet another unhappy windsurfer in the gorge.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: