Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

DO NOT LAUNCH AT THE EVENT SITE!!!!!!
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Mar 20, 07 7:03 pm     Reply with quote

Lets be sure we are respectful to Sherry, as she is here trying to help bring info to the site.

I think the frustration originates with the lack of CGKA organization on the matter. Since I joined I know of only one public meeting (when we elected the leaders.) Except for the cleanup party last summer, I can't recall any other times everyone was called together. Now would be a good time, we have a couple weeks before the Port meeting on the 2nd.

Teague

Since 10 Jul 2005
114 Posts
Really Windy Places
Stoked

PostTue Mar 20, 07 8:54 pm     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
Lets be sure we are respectful to Sherry, as she is here trying to help bring info to the site.

I think the frustration originates with the lack of CGKA organization on the matter. Since I joined I know of only one public meeting (when we elected the leaders.) Except for the cleanup party last summer, I can't recall any other times everyone was called together. Now would be a good time, we have a couple weeks before the Port meeting on the 2nd.

Agree 100%! Sherry seems to be patient and very helpfull so far and open to everyone's suggestions/comments. A CGKA meeting sounds really important before they attend the Port meeting. I'm all for the CGKA membership. The more people that join the better. Power in #'s.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostTue Mar 20, 07 8:57 pm     Reply with quote

Sorry for not posting a reply sooner Endo.

If you read some of my older posts, you'll find the answer regarding the Event Site. This was a location that was created, fundraised and completed by a local windsurfer volunteer organization.

Tekko - You are spot on with your comments!!
Attending meetings, listening to the facts and paying attention to what matters is what can make a difference.
Thank you.

Bandito - if you either sabotage or ignore the buoy markers, you will have your ass handed to you by the local kiters and windsufers that worked together to raise the money and volunteer efforts to put those buoys and markers in the water, seriously!
If you see new signs and buoys sitting out on the water this spring, read the rules and pay attention, because if you see these sorts of changes, it will because your local kiter and windsurfer representative took the time to create them and put them there.

As for trying to organize mass support through the internet and offering this via a representative to the governing organizations, you will be wasting some valuable energy and getting yourselves frustrated as a result of not feeling like you are being taken seriously. Because you likely will not.

You need to step away from your computer and attend an organized CGKA meeting, a Port of Hood River meeting, or a community waterfront meeting, then you are unfortunately not proving that you care about your sport or your waterfront access rights.

The CGKA should be a board of directors (no less than 9 and no more than 15), with at least 9 available for year-round (in person) meetings to attend to legal, public, local and government issues regarding the safety, liability, growth, promotion and protection of the sport of kiteboarding in the Columbia River Gorge.
One spokesperson should attend all important local, government, and public meetings that involve waterfront recreation access in the greater Columbia River Gorge (not just The Port of Hood River meetings).
This spokesperson should speak on behalf of the 15 board of directors, and report back to these board of directors.
Since the board directors are well chosen and educated individuals, they will be trusted to make the best and most benevolent decisions on behalf of the greater kiteboading community in the Columbia River Gorge.

I'll apologize again if I rub anyone the wrong way on this, but if you feel like I rubbed you wrong, then please take the time to attend a local waterfront recreation meeting, become more active in your local community (in person), learn more about water recreation access rights and the support that you receive from your State, local government and local Port authority, or just support more growth and strength in your local CGKA.

Pepi

www.Purestokesports.com

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostTue Mar 20, 07 9:16 pm     Reply with quote

Jeez, I need to stop posting on these threads.
I am starting to sound like a pissed off, blow hard.

I desperately need to get a session in on my new T2's.

Come on wind and sun!!!!!!

www.Purestokesports.com

sherrybohn

Since 16 Jun 2006
71 Posts

PostTue Mar 20, 07 9:17 pm     Reply with quote

Pepi....Wow !!! What a thoughtful and logical post. He does it all. Windsurfer, Kiteboarder, Racer, Business Owner, Great Dad and.....

By the way.....It was great to see the faces of all the various kiteboarders and windsurfers in the audience this evening at our port meeting. I hope "everyone" enjoyed the simulated "water level" on the sand bar presentation. I would loved to have had "everyone" introduce themselves but that isn't our standard meeting procedures..... so PM me or stop by Sage's Cafe and with your "future" ideas. Let's brainstorm how we can make this work for the best advantage for everyone.

Now let's work together to get throught the season of 07

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostTue Mar 20, 07 9:21 pm     Reply with quote

Pepi wrote:
Bandito - if you either sabotage or ignore the buoy markers, you will have your ass handed to you by the local kiters and windsufers that worked together to raise the money and volunteer efforts to put those buoys and markers in the water, seriously!
If you see new signs and buoys sitting out on the water this spring, read the rules and pay attention, because if you see these sorts of changes, it will because your local kiter and windsurfer representative took the time to create them and put them there.

I think Bandito raises interesting questions about who legally controls the area. It's our duty as citizens to always question the legality of a governing body.

Pepi wrote:
As for trying to organize mass support through the internet and offering this via a representative to the governing organizations, you will be wasting some valuable energy and getting yourselves frustrated as a result of not feeling like you are being taken seriously. Because you likely will not.

The Internet is a great place to organize and if used properly, could make us very powerful. I would say that the use of the Internet by CGKA has been mediocre at best.

Pepi wrote:
You need to step away from your computer and attend an organized CGKA meeting, a Port of Hood River meeting, or a community waterfront meeting, then you are unfortunately not proving that you care about your sport or your waterfront access rights.

It's a little hard to make it out to HR when we have jobs that keep us in front of the "computer" in PDX and the Port Commission meetings are 6pm. This is why I joined the CGKA, though I haven't heard of any "organized" CGKA meetings in PDX.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Mar 21, 07 6:25 am     Reply with quote

I found this page:

http://www.portofhoodriver.com/Commission%20Info/Meeting%20Info.htm

Good one to keep an eye on so we know when these meetings are happening.

Pepi - don't worry we always know where your coming from, I appreciate the experience you bring to the table (CGWA president.)

Speaking of CGWA, I also found this page:

http://windsurf.gorge.net/cgwa/members.htm

That seems like a great way to raise some serious cash.

kitezilla

Since 22 Jun 2006
453 Posts
gorge
Obsessed

PostWed Mar 21, 07 7:48 am     Reply with quote

The subject of “markers”, and signs may deserve more discussion and planning than is immediately apparent. Three issues need to be well thought out in advance of any actions:

(1) Boundary Marking Buoys
(2) Hazard Marking Buoys
(3) Signage

Precautions concerning buoy construction and placement:

(A) Follow the administrative rulings and codes
(B) Avoid making a bad situation worse by creating an additional hazard

As far as (A) goes, I think we will quickly find that there will be at least one governmental body or administrative authority which will jealously guard its right to control signage and marker placement. This is a common bureaucratic problem, stemming from liability and responsibility issues, and is not all bad, but does present expense and delay problems. We need to identify the administrative body immediately, and start working with that authority, in order to present the unique problems that pertain to the recreational activity of kiteboarding. For instance, consider the international character of kiting…so, do the signs need to be tri-lingual? Do we need signs actually located on the water, or just on dry land? Will the markers be colored properly, so as not to confuse commercial navigation, or Native American fishermen, or other water sport recreationalists?

As far as (B) goes, I think we could do everyone a big service by helping to plan the construction of the (1) and (2) buoys, so that they are kite-line-friendly. This may be a challenge! I have some ideas, and hopefully others will have some even better ideas. The overriding principle should be to have a buoy safely constructed in such a way that a kite line will slip off the buoy, rather than snag on some feature or the buoy…and to have the buoy constructed of a soft and forgiving material, which will harmlessly absorb human impact, and move out of the way.

Consider:

A smurf-like buoy

A foam wand style buoy

A buoy shaped larger at the bottom than at the top, with smooth curves, to shed kite line, and fishing line

A UV resistant buoy durable enough for the wind, waves, floating debris, boats and free floating fishing line and lures of the Columbia River

A design that can be serviced by a designated authority, and who the authority should be

The (2) hazard marking buoys as well as the (1) boundary buoys should incorporate the above safety principles. The (2) buoys will be needed to mark the submerged “deadhead” hazards, such as the sand imbedded logs. These buoys will always be located in shallow water, and will have the deadhead as an anchoring device. These markers should be designed so that they definitely do not capture a kite line. Imagine a snagged rear line throwing a kite into power-zone loops and towing a kiter head-first straight into the deadhead.

Anyways, lets put some thought into this, and avoid placing “riverside IBDs” into our little war zone.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostWed Mar 21, 07 8:30 am     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
Pepi - don't worry we always know where your coming from, I appreciate the experience you bring to the table (CGWA president.)

Wow! He's the president of the Windsurfer's association? GET HIM!!!! Just Kidding. Smile

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostWed Mar 21, 07 8:46 am     Reply with quote

Well, I'm actually no longer the president of the CGWA, Jim Haines is now the residing president (the website still needs to be updated from January).

I am a member of the Board of Directors and am also the designated Kiteboarding laisson, as well as on the CGWA/CGKA sandbar alliance committee .
As for Sheri's comments, I think that she was hinting to the fact that Katie Crafts and I were the only windsurf and kite representatives that chose to attend the latest Port meeting to view the updated hydrologist data of the Sandbar (size, growth, shape and effects of different water levels on the shape and size of the sandbar).

Being a local kite (and windsurf) shop owner, I definitely have a lot of personal investment in seeing both the kiters and the windsurfers co-exist on our immediate waterfront launches. It definitely keeps my beliefs and interests either in a constant compromise or a narrow balance.

Thanks Philip for the positive comments, it is very much appreciated, as well as maintaining one of the absolute best forum groups in the world (nice pic/article in the latest Kiteboarder magazine!).

Pepi

www.Purestokesports.com

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed Mar 21, 07 12:09 pm     Reply with quote

Does this mean that we have more to worry about than windsurfers? I couldn't tell from the photos/map/plan. where exactly is the hood river water front park going?

http://www.hoodriverwaterfront.com/

bandito

Since 07 May 2005
178 Posts

Photographer

PostWed Mar 21, 07 12:56 pm     Reply with quote

"Bandito - if you either sabotage or ignore the buoy markers, you will have your ass handed to you by the local kiters and windsufers that worked together to raise the money and volunteer efforts to put those buoys and markers in the water, seriously! "

Pepi,
If you read back through my previous post you will not find the word "sabotage" or "ignore" anywhere in any of my posts. My comments are about our rights and our right to question authority so that unfair rules are placed on us.

Back to the quote:

Does this also hold true for you my friend? If you break any of the rules do we have permission to hand you your ass? If you responded with a yes, then the next time you cross the street you better make sure it's at the corner and that you're not "J" walking. I might just have to hand you your ass! Maybe the next time you roll through a stop sign without coming to a complete stop you'll find a couple of guys pulling you out of your car and handing you your ass! We don't all always follow all of the rules now do we Pepi?

As for the getting my ass handed to me, feel free, but do remember that you made that threat on a public forum.

Bandito

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostWed Mar 21, 07 12:57 pm     Reply with quote

Simmer down everyone--- no need to piss on fire hydrants

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Mar 21, 07 1:27 pm     Reply with quote

Ya, everybody needs to take a sesh and then come back on this. We can hash this out at April 2nd meeting (3:30pm), or hopefully before then at a CGKA meeting.

http://www.portofhoodriver.com/Commission%20Info/Meeting%20Info.htm

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: