Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

US NPS seeks comments on whether or not to allow kiting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
capekiter

Since 16 Aug 2014
19 Posts

PostMon Oct 24, 16 6:17 pm    US NPS seeks comments on whether or not to allow kiting Reply with quote

Dear fellow kiteboarding enthusiasts,

I first wrote back in May about the kitesurfing ban on Cape Cod, Massachusetts here: http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-38960.html

As a direct result of our lawsuit, the National Park Service (NPS) is requesting comments from the public over the next couple of weeks as to whether or not to allow kitesurfing at Cape Cod National Seashore (CACO). This is a blatant acknowledgement that, in its haste to ban kitesurfing, CACO did not follow proper procedure. However they are still up to their usual tricks in presenting the background on this ban in a clearly unfavorable manner meant to elicit outrage against kiters and support for the kitesurfing ban. They begin by stating that kiting has had a negative impact on Cape Cod National Seashore since 2006. That year the staff saw kiters out at one particular beach where there were no plovers nesting, so they conveniently blamed it on the kiters without investigating if there was any link. That was the first beach to see a ban in 2008. 6 yrs later there were still no plovers nesting at that particular beach, so were the kiters really to blame? From there the ban grew to include the entire 35 miles of Atlantic coastline, all without having to prove any real negative impact by kitesurfers. They say kiteboarders deny having an impact on shorebirds, whereas most of us would readily admit kiting disturbs shorebirds, same as any other human activity. But I wholeheartedly deny ever having hurt or killed a shorebird, unlike some of the other activities sanctioned by CACO (oversand vehicles, dogs, fishing, pedestrians). CACO further states that kitesurfers want all restrictions lifted, when in fact the goal of the lawsuit is simply to have the 7 month, park wide ban lifted and a few areas of access granted away from the most sensitive shorebird areas and outside the summer crowds. If the NPS were to factually and accurately state the real background to this case, the public would see that we are being respectful of CACO's conservation goals and reasonable about management goals, which may garner us approval that the NPS doesn't want.

The NPS controls the dialogue for the public comment period, so it is more important than ever for kiting enthusiasts to make their voices heard. Please submit a comment, let them know that kitesurfing is a wind-propelled watersport and as such is not harmful to the environment. That all future recreational activities should strive to be as environmentally benign. If you have examples where the bird-advocates were shown to be misguided in their assumptions about kiting's harmful affects, please, please share them here and with the NPS.

Please share this link with your friends, family, other local kite chatboards, and on Facebook and social media. It's our opportunity to tell the US National Park Service, and the US Government, our kitesurfing story. https://parkplanning.nps.gov/document.cfm?parkID=217&projectID=67769&documentID=75613[url][/url]

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostWed Oct 26, 16 7:46 am     Reply with quote

This actually is a very serious discussion for us all to pay attention to.

Regionally, when kiteboarding faces possible access issues, it remains a regional issue, but when it involves a National or Federal governing body or agency, then any changes or decisions tend to spread on a national level to other regions who had no idea about what was going on and why sudden changes might be occurring.

I'm trying to follow this from afar, as a CGKA representative, via a fellow shop owner on Cape Cod, Phil Mann, has been involved with the issues out on the Cape for around 14 years now.

The engaged involvement of the National Parks Service is an interesting and possibly concerning angle.

www.Purestokesports.com

capekiter

Since 16 Aug 2014
19 Posts

PostThu Oct 27, 16 6:26 am    Thanks Pepi, you are correct Reply with quote

I did my best to indicate that this is not a Cape Cod issue, but rather a United States National Park Service issue, and the stakes are national not simply local. I hope the lack of responses here does not mean kiters have not been submitting comments to the NPS as we only have a couple weeks left to set precedence for the entire country for the future of kitesurfing. So please share and promote the NPS link as much as possible. Thank you!

Holly

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Oct 27, 16 8:13 am     Reply with quote

I think this is a good point.

It is reasonable to assume that any precedence set in this case might directly affect some of the parks we kiters use locally. Granted many of our parks are state parks rather than federal, however precedence is still precedence.

To name a few parks that might potentially see impact some day:

-Rooster Rock
-Sunset Beach
-Rowena (Mayer state park) (owns land all the way to the discover center)
-South Beach state park
-Pistol River
-Beverley Beach
- many many more

This is an opportunity to let our voices be heard. Let's do so in a professional and plentiful manner.

brass

Since 15 Jul 2006
152 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Oct 27, 16 10:29 am     Reply with quote

Am I the only one that doesn't see kiting as a right but rather a privilege? Kiting is an awesome activity but like so many other sports I do I feel like there is a time and a place. I don't need to take my mountain bike into a wilderness area because it is the last vestige of roadless, machine-less space where some species maintain a tiny hold, beaten back by humans' appetite for resources. Of course it is also illegal- for a reason. I also don't want to see ski lifts all the way around Mt Hood.

You could argue that National Parks aren't that sweet in furthering the cause of wildlife but they exist and have some impact. Do we need to kite everywhere?

I'm not coming down on one side or the other necessarily as this is a complex situation and there are few spots on the planet that truly do not feel the impact of human beings. I do think, however, it's worth putting in the discussion that there is a need to leave some parts of world feeling as little human impact as possible.

Kmun

Since 05 Jul 2009
250 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Oct 27, 16 12:43 pm     Reply with quote

brass wrote:
Of course it is also illegal- for a reason. I also don't want to see ski lifts all the way around Mt Hood.

You could argue that National Parks aren't that sweet in furthering the cause of wildlife but they exist and have some impact. Do we need to kite everywhere?

I'm not coming down on one side or the other necessarily as this is a complex situation and there are few spots on the planet that truly do not feel the impact of human beings. I do think, however, it's worth putting in the discussion that there is a need to leave some parts of world feeling as little human impact as possible.

1. Ski lifts all around Mt. Hood? "Wilderness areas" are very different than "National Parks".

2. You might have a point if this location in fact barred motorized vehicles (ORVs/ATV's) along with kiters. Recreational activities to be allowed are: ORV"s/ATV's, walking, hunting, fishing, dogs, single-line kites, and bonfires.

It is not a difficult argument to assure that kitesurfers do not spread far down the dry shoreline from where they launched.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Oct 27, 16 1:39 pm     Reply with quote

brass wrote:
Am I the only one that doesn't see kiting as a right but rather a privilege? Kiting is an awesome activity but like so many other sports I do I feel like there is a time and a place. I don't need to take my mountain bike into a wilderness area because it is the last vestige of roadless, machine-less space where some species maintain a tiny hold, beaten back by humans' appetite for resources. Of course it is also illegal- for a reason. I also don't want to see ski lifts all the way around Mt Hood.

I doubt you are the only person with such opinions. Kiters are a mixture of all sorts of people and opinions. That's what makes this forum great.

I hope you comment on the NPS website. They need to hear from all of us.

However, I would ask that you consider in your comments (and opinions) that in light of the fact kiting is a privledge, kiting is a privledge that can be taken away.

If I understand your position, you enjoy kiting however you do not feel entitled to kite everywhere on the planet. This infers that you believe kiting should be allowed / designated in some areas.

Please present that factor as well when communicating your opinions with NPS.

capekiter

Since 16 Aug 2014
19 Posts

PostThu Oct 27, 16 2:13 pm    Kmun makes the important point Reply with quote

Yes kiting is a privilege not a right and people should conduct themselves accordingly. However in this case the NPS is allowing vehicles, walkers, dogs, fishing & hunting, beach fires, even hand held kites flown on the beach, but singles out kitesurfing as having the greatest negative impact thus bans it across the entirety of Cape Cod's Atlantic shoreline which is comprised of 6 towns and 35+ miles. All without actually having to prove that kiting harms shorebirds. So even if you believe kiting is not a right, you have to agree that singling out kiteboarding in this case is hardly fair, rational, or justified.

Windstoked

Since 21 May 2013
43 Posts
Norcal

PostThu Oct 27, 16 10:05 pm     Reply with quote

It's sad to see the mindset that has overtaken Americans where freedom has become a privilege to be granted from government rather than a right that the government must prove beyond all reasonable doubt is a danger to society and therefore must be banned.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostFri Oct 28, 16 8:33 am     Reply with quote

Seems like the best solution is just to bring assault rifles and "occupy" the beach ala the Bundys.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostFri Oct 28, 16 11:11 am     Reply with quote

user124 wrote:
Seems like the best solution is just to bring assault rifles and "occupy" the beach ala the Bundys.

Ha. Well played.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostSat Oct 29, 16 6:59 pm     Reply with quote

Insert conservative/liberal politics with extreme tones, and Viola!, the Gov't is successful getting us to divide ourselves, and the public looses another green activity that is deemed bad by those who seem to be in the business of deeming things they have no experience or data on.

Windstoked, user124, Sella....... Lets focus on the fact that this stuff affects an environmentally sound sport. Lets focus on the fact that the NPS is not taking a scientific approach to wildlife management with regards to kiteboarding. Lets focus on the cards that the NPS has laid down to show their bias. Lets call them out. Lets make sure kiting is open in some public parks so kiting continues to exist as a viable sport. Lets show our concern for the environment by having a give and take attitude.

Lets not divide ourselves no matter who you would vote for. We all want to kite to some extent and have our wildlife protected to some extent. We could have it both ways if we work together.

This issue is more important than our individual views. The NPS is the problem and we have the evidence for that. For kiteboarding and future "green" sports not yet developed, we should fight together to right the wrongs, especially when they are this obvious.

And, Windstoked, user124, Sella, your opinion is always welcome. But see if you can do something to help.

capekiter

Since 16 Aug 2014
19 Posts

PostWed Nov 09, 16 9:33 am    only 5 days left, so please don't delay! Reply with quote

Only 5 days left for us to flood the NPS mailbox with letters supporting kitesurfing at National Seashores and disputing the Park Service's lack of evidence that kitesurfing harms shorebirds. Please don't delay or put it off 'til this weekend (especially with wind in the forecast). Even a brief comment of support helps! And please share the link with your friends, family, and other green-sports enthusiasts. Thank you to everybody for your attention to this matter and for your continued support!

https://parkplanning.nps.gov/document.cfm?parkID=217&projectID=67769&documentID=75613

capekiter

Since 16 Aug 2014
19 Posts

PostSat Nov 12, 16 8:23 am    only 2 days left! Reply with quote

Only 2 days left, so please don't delay! Submit your comments today! Here's an example of a great one, although yours doesn't have to be as long or detailed:

Dear Superintendent Price,

I strongly urge and request the National Seashore to reconsider the park-wide 7 month ban on kitesurfing and allow our community some well regulated year-round access in designated areas. I think you will find that the majority of the members in our community are strong conservationists and willing to work with you to craft a reasonable but well regulated and enforced policy that represents a middle ground, protecting the birds where necessary and with evidence-based measures, but also allowing the access that was mandated by the original founding seashore legislation. We have a strong, well organized community and can get the word out about whatever reasonable compromise restrictions are put in place in critical habitats. We would also assist you in clearly posting the regulations at all access points so that all kiters can see and understand the regulations. I and many of my fellow kiters strongly feel that the regulations as written are extremely over-broad. We cannot possibly need all 40 miles of seashore to be shut down to this sport for 7 months of the year in order to put reasonable protections in place for the plovers and other threatened species.

One argument I've seen presented in support of the ban is that kiters can go to other areas such as Hyannis. While this might not be an easy thing for a non-kiter to understand, there really is a fundamental difference between the experience and practice of the sport in sheltered bays and sounds such as Hyannis versus on the open ocean in the surf. In the rare cases when the conditions are right, the Outer Cape ocean beaches present a completely unique combination of sailing and surfing which cannot be replicated anywhere else in the area. I know of a number of fellow kiters that live on Cape Cod largely because they so treasure the few days of the season where conditions (wind direction, swell, etc) are ideal to be practicing the sport on the ocean.

Much of the evidence for the disturbing of birds by kites seems to stem from either the old non-peer reviewed thesis study on hand-held kites from more than 20 years ago (before kitesurfing was invented), or anecdotal evidence collected by Seashore staff. Neither one seems solid enough to use as the basis for such a broad and long duration ban. On the contrary, based on reported numbers, plover communities in beaches like Revere with few regulations on kiting seem to be doing better than those where kiting is banned. We understand that this link is obviously not causational, but certainly it argues against the thesis conclusions and the anecdotal evidence of the harm it is supposedly causing. We all agree that species are worth preserving, and we understand that you are obligated to do what is reasonable to do so for the piping plover under Federal law. And I think you would find that if the Seashore presented strong, peer reviewed scientific evidence that birds were actually consequentially proven to be disturbed by kites in a way that really did affect their breeding success, that we kiters would be the first to want to avoid those areas and change our behavior to avoid having this effect. But as it is, the evidence just has not reasonably met this bar. In addition, there are many other factors, many of them outside of human control- - like storms and predation that have a real consequential impact.

We the kiting community really do want to work with the Seashore, but so far, we've found no willingness on your part to compromise or work with us towards a shared solution. We do not consider Duck Harbor and/or oceanside access for the very coldest winter months to be a compromise. I sincerely hope that this can change soon and that we are able to open a productive dialog towards real compromise.

JH

AKkiter

Since 31 Aug 2008
181 Posts
Montavilla
Stoked

PostMon Nov 14, 16 8:33 am     Reply with quote

I have done my part and made a public comment.
I urge all of you to do the same. Today is the last day.
This is important.... even more so now that we have a president who doesn't give a shit about the environment. Shit trickles downhill.

This whole Cape Cod issue is total bullshit:
the agenda is to allow engine powered vehicles, beach fires, single line kites, etc. etc. but are singling out kiteboarders- its total bullshit from a government agency that is quick to ban but slow to prove scientifically that there is an issue.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: