Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

First trip to Oregon, where to go?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
aviento

Since 17 Mar 2007
3 Posts

Kook

PostSat Mar 17, 07 9:47 am    First trip to Oregon, where to go? Reply with quote

Hoping to get some help here, I recently moved to BC and am taking a trip into oregon in late april, and I just really know nothing about the kiting in the Gorge or the coast. I've been kiting for a summer, been to hatteras a few times to kite/surf, margarita/coche for 6 weeks and all through Lake Huron, Erie and Ontario. I've a half decent rider by now, big boosts, grabs, spins, rolls, carves, but have little experience, so obviously I'm not great. I love wave riding, although I've only been on max head high lake waves which have about the same power as a knee slapper ocean wave. Anyway, I'm pretty worried about kooking out as soon as I step foot in Oregon. With this experience and bringing an 8+12, what spots would be best to hit in the 4 days I have?

tonyb

Since 09 Oct 2006
973 Posts
Stevenson in the summer & SPI in the winter
Bolstad Clan

PostSat Mar 17, 07 10:03 am     Reply with quote

Hello aviento! Late April might be a little early for the gorge. The winds are still a little flukey going back and forth between easterlies and westerlies and the water is pretty cold. There will be some kitable days in April but it's hard to forecast very far out.

The coast might be the ticket or even Floras Lake down in southern Oregon. Wait for the guys who know these areas to chime in.

Good luck with your trip and have fun! Come back to the gorge in the summer though as that is the best time to be here.

Tony

aviento

Since 17 Mar 2007
3 Posts

Kook

PostWed Mar 21, 07 10:01 am     Reply with quote

Sounds good, I've always wanted to kite the ocean, I just hope I'm ready for it, I know that it can get pretty gnarly out out there.

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostWed Mar 21, 07 11:03 am     Reply with quote

April is definatly A time of year were you need to look at forcast and be prepared to chase the wind. July is much more predictable for both the coast and gorge.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed Mar 21, 07 11:26 am     Reply with quote

finally a chance for me to pimp my rental at the coast! Very Happy
Pacific City is central coast...good for heading north or south!

http://www.beachbugalow.com

we're not right on the water, but it's a very close walk.

aviento

Since 17 Mar 2007
3 Posts

Kook

PostThu Mar 22, 07 2:10 pm     Reply with quote

FlyinElvis wrote:
finally a chance for me to pimp my rental at the coast! Very Happy
Pacific City is central coast...good for heading north or south!

http://www.beachbugalow.com

we're not right on the water, but it's a very close walk.

That place looks cool, if I were coming with a group, I'd be interested, though a little much for one guy with low standards.

So the impression I get from everyone for April is to wear thick rubber and chase the wind, I can dig it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: