Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

how far can u swim in 41 deg
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
kss

Since 24 Apr 2006
613 Posts
pdx
Addicted

PostThu Mar 08, 07 9:09 am     Reply with quote

well said tekko. and a topic well worth a good rant from time to time.... as the sport continues to evolve.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Mar 08, 07 9:10 am     Reply with quote

for sure tekko, I am grateful to those who have pulled me in and try to put my own karma points in whenever possible by helping do the same for others.

dragging in a kite is one thing, its not easy and potentially very dangerous... but pulling in a kiter is no problem, that's why we got handles on our harnesses. you don't have to try to be cool and get both guys planning on their boards, just body drag in together, keep your board on your feet or hold onto it in front of you.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostThu Mar 08, 07 9:29 am     Reply with quote

i can vouch for phil...swimming in for my kite on a hydrofoil attempt day! Embarassed (thanks again phillip!)

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostThu Mar 08, 07 11:07 am     Reply with quote

Well put...

When I got into kiting, it was on hand-me-down 2-4 liners from freinds for cheap and probably for a reason.

I remember when I moved out here from the Midwest and went to Stevenson for the first time. Granted it was summer, but I was almost half-way out and just learning to jump. Was on a 02 fuel with RRD bar. The RRD chicken loop had a quick release that could and would eject pretty easily or on accident. Well, for whatever reason, I wasn't using a lease and I crashed my kite after a jump.
I knew how to relaunch but for some reason it wasn't going back up. Supermaned it and when I was donig the front crawl to the kite somehow the quick release came undone, and my kite started rolling downwind.
At this point I thought I could catch up with it....yeah right,
Then I look behind to see my board 30 feet upwind cuz the current.
Keep in mind I am a great swimmer and grew up on lakes....but with a 4ft river swell and current I was getting winded pretty quick. So, decided to go for the board, swam with current to board to catch my breath.

In comes the karma...some local kiter(grey hair) comes by and tells me to grab his harness...he tows me and him(both riding) to shore.. !!
Then, I look for kite way downwind...find a guy on a waverunner at the boat launch and he gives me a ride.

Now some more karma....when I get to my kite....there is a kiter with his kite in neutral....hanging on to mine...deflated the leading edge and had my kite all rolled up for me to grab the taco and head to shore on the waverunner.!!!

I have and will be there for other kiters in the future and you guys said it well..although it is a bit of a solo sport....everyone needs to be there for the next guy.

Props to grey-haired local and LF rider at Stevenson back in 2003. Thumb's Up

endoshred

Since 22 May 2006
232 Posts
HR
Stoked

PostThu Mar 08, 07 2:21 pm     Reply with quote

great post tekko. kiting is a truely a team sport in this way and you need your bro's. we just need to always keep an eye on those around us. at one time or another we will all need to give or receive a helping hand.

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1744 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostThu Mar 08, 07 2:36 pm     Reply with quote

Props to grey-haired local and LF rider at Stevenson back in 2003.

was that grey haired guy flying a Wipika?

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostThu Mar 08, 07 2:48 pm     Reply with quote

actually yes, Wipika for sure!

I was going to put that in the original post, but didn't/.
I was on a blu/white 11m fuel...and a hybrid-LF wakeboard turned kiteboard.

Thanks a lot...that was an eye-opener in teh sport for me. Very Happy

tekko

Since 20 Feb 2006
376 Posts
White Salmon
Liquid Force

PostThu Mar 08, 07 2:56 pm     Reply with quote

Was the guy who pulled in and deflated your kite a short, bald, south african, on a 2 line Wipi Inferno and wake bindings visiting from Cape Hatteras for the Wipi photoshoot?

It seams as if I have heard this story before... or one just like it...

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostThu Mar 08, 07 3:08 pm     Reply with quote

I was also saved by the mystery grey hair man from Stevenson.... Got a lift back to shore. He Dangled in out of the sky. Using his Dangle powers he towed me back to shore. Then Dangled off into the sunset. Wish I knew his Dangle name Wink
Thanks again.

Ps thanks to Amery for saving my kite. It took him nearly 30 min. to get it to shore.

www.naishkites.com

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostFri Mar 09, 07 7:54 am    maybe Reply with quote

perhaps there is no expierence with gear failure . Rolling Eyes
but as was said earlier dress for the crash , Shocked
and if you are not a strong swimmer don't go Cool
I kite most of time by myself Razz
one time I was in an easterly (offshore) and dropped my board Rolling Eyes
now I never go out past my waist on easterlies Wink
there are many things to consider and most will not think about them until a situation is upon them (too late)
SAFETY FIRST
I don't even consider 40 degree water
growing up on the Mckenzie River my friends have pulled me out twice (hypothermia)
and that is something I will NOT repeat(hopefully)
the ocean is WARMER in the winter

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostFri Mar 09, 07 8:53 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
Was the guy who pulled in and deflated your kite a short, bald, south african, on a 2 line Wipi Inferno and wake bindings visiting from Cape Hatteras for the Wipi photoshoot?

It seams as if I have heard this story before... or one just like it...

Um....good question...but I am pretty sure he was on a LF. but weren't they almost the same bak then anyways?

shredbarbie

Since 17 Sep 2005
97 Posts
Hood River, OR

PostFri Mar 09, 07 6:02 pm    cold water gear Reply with quote

Here are a couple things I carry from having kited in cold, Seattle winter waters with currents. All items actually fit nicely in my Airush PFD which has a front zipper pocket and a back zipper pocket.

1 pair of short swim fins.
You can buy trainer fins (that you find at a pool), or cut down a pair of reg ones. Make sure they're big enough to fit over booties so you can slip them on easily. Also, if they do not float, attach something to them so you don't incidentally drop them if you are shivering and can't work your hands right. Buy online from specialty swim shop, or cut some regular ones down.

I can't stress enough how much carrying swim fins rocks.

I cut them small enough to fit in the back pocket of the Airush vest and can reach up over my back, unzip it, and get the fins out. (or carry a mesh backpack)

2 small personal flares -- in case one doesn't work. Buy at a Marine store.

1 big orange plastic boaters distress flag. Light, flat and very visible. Can't beat it. Buy at a Marine store.

Lastly, I only kite in cold waters with other kiters out so you can all keep an eye on each other.

-Shredbarbie
[/list]

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Mar 11, 07 7:35 pm     Reply with quote

last april i spent a cold hour in the columbia aften the wind went a bit south at the spit and then died, kite down, couldnt relauch , the current taking me to portland like a freight train. i was in my steamer, so my core stayed warm but by the time i got to my kite my hands were in full parkinson-mode. also, i was pretty disoriented, by the time i got out i was pretty far down-river, got a timely lift from a passing jet-boat, just luck, thanks again to the mystery boater.

the real concern here is the stoke. fokiten, god rest his kiteforum soul, used to say as much. its the stoke that makes us launch when everyone else is coming in, even considering going out when the water and air temps are below 100 in tandem, jumping near shore, all that shite we learned in kiter-kindergarten.

as neil young said, what brings you life can kill you in the end.

great post, good points tekko about our community and our obligations to each other, realized or not. lets all try to look out for each other out there this year.

jimmi

Reaper356

Since 10 Dec 2006
781 Posts
Salem / LC Oregon
Opinionated

PostSun Mar 11, 07 9:21 pm     Reply with quote

Safety is a good post.
I definately like the swim fins idea. Flares w/ pack is good too. PFD is must in cold temps. Maybe throw in a flask of Wild Turkey for extra energy! Wink

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1744 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostMon Dec 08, 14 7:17 pm    pretty good cold water thread Reply with quote

Some good cold water, and general advice, particularly like Tecco's thoughts.

krazedkiter

Since 08 Jun 2009
183 Posts
Florida
Stoked

PostMon Dec 08, 14 10:00 pm     Reply with quote

OK no laughing.

A few years back we had record lows for a week straight. Low 30's at night solid all week. It actually dropped the water temp to 51 degrees in Islamorada (Middle Florida keys). You know what it takes to lower the temp of an entire ocean area so you know it was cold for us. It caused the biggest fish kill I have ever seen. All the local shallow water fish were floating on the surface. Dead! Couldn't handle the water temp. It was so nasty for the following weeks with all the dead fish.

Well, during that week it was blowing like a mother. I went out two days in 51 water temp and 40 air temp blowing close to 30 knots. Plus, I was kiting on top of fish. Do you know how hard fish really are when you land on them?

Anyway, all I had was a full 3/2 with no gloves and no booties. Don't need that down here. I was really (no kidding) blue each time I came in. Had to kite for 1 hour then go sit in car with heat on. You guys may have been able to handle that better.

Moral of the story is you should also be acclimated to that stuff before you try it and not just throw on some rubber and hope for the best (damn that reminds me of college).

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostTue Dec 09, 14 11:04 am     Reply with quote

big wave surfers used to bring one body surfing fin with them for self rescue before jet skis were available. Having even one fin can propel you much faster than without. When one leg gets tired, you can switch. Early season I was wearing a fin on my back. Almost had to use it once.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: