Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

More launches needed.
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostMon Aug 08, 16 6:30 pm    More launches needed. Reply with quote

I am sure I am not the only one who thinks we need more launches in the gorge.
The last month or so has been crazy. All the sites are now crowded. On sunday I saw over fifty people at one place that usually has twenty. I know its hard with the rail road tracks on both sides of the river but there must be something we as a group can do. Rowena seems like the most realistic place if only the launch area could be improved. Ideas? Please no just "DEAL WITH IT COMMENTS' Very Happy

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostMon Aug 08, 16 7:20 pm     Reply with quote

with water level low, I see plenty of spots where its launchable.
stevenson always seems to be busy at the launch spot, but never that busy once on the water.
just west of stevenson is rock creek. its a huge sandbar begging to be used.
when I do upwinders to sauvies from frenchmans, I can see so much potential for kiting beaches on both sides of the river and the wind has been good in these spots.
whats wrong with the rowena launch? I kite there usually in the winter. seems legit to me.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostMon Aug 08, 16 7:52 pm    Rowena Reply with quote

Had a great 7m day Sunday at Rowena. Always a little sketched out by the slippery rocks and tales of injuries so I launch from the cove. I put the kite out of the wind next to the line of bushes and run my lines out then pull the kite into the water while I am standing in the water close to the point. In high water, you can do the same but pre-roll lines up at the parking. The wind shadow of the bushes keeps the kite from moving.

I was told that the Park was going to allow us to cut a trail to the end of that cove and remove the blackberries, but I haven't seen any movement on it. More round gravel west of the point could make it safer to launch and land kites while in the water. Someone told me that the existing gravel was brought in long ago for the windsurfers?

Pretty awesome Sunday to have tons of boosting room. Across the river and 2 miles west, I counted 30 kites in the air and the entire sandbar covered with kites. Super secret fight club...

bobgatpdx

Since 04 Oct 2008
218 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Aug 08, 16 7:59 pm     Reply with quote

More kite launches are badly needed. As a recent kiting convert, I really miss being able to access more spots on the river. The Event Site is such a shit show on weekends - I won't go near that mess. So lame that we can't even mention some of the good spots. Back in the day, CGWA helped turn Dougs Beach into a legit spot.
What's CGKA up to these days?
- Bob

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 09, 16 6:40 am     Reply with quote

Everyone clusters at HR sandbar

On Saturday, it was absolute craziness at the HR sandbar

Went to Viento - not one person out
Went to Butters - one person on the water
Went to Stevenson - only a handful of people out

There certainly are even more opportunities for places launch now that the water is low

Explore, and if you find something good - share. It's unlikely to get crowded.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Aug 09, 16 7:03 am     Reply with quote

boardrider wrote:

There certainly are even more opportunities for places launch now that the water is low

Does anyone have access to recent statistics for kiteboarding industry growth rates? The best I could find was outdated from 2008: https://enginekites.wordpress.com/2012/01/30/researching-market-size/ which referenced an article suggesting a growth rate of 35-50%

Food for thought...

-The Craziness is just going to continue to get Crazier.

-Perhaps as a community we should consider developing (and enforcing) a more structured practice for launches and landing (I'm thinking rufus here)

-If you find something good... Perhaps you might want limit who you share to...

Just my perspective

Wink

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 09, 16 7:33 am     Reply with quote

I'm not seeing the craziness that is often referenced. Mostly I see a lot of folks enjoying the bounty of fun that is the Hood River waterfront. Many of these folks do not yet have the local knowledge and know how of the local population. I see clean green lawn, big expanse of sand, bathrooms, ample parking with overflow, friendly site hosts, packed waterfront venues, and a thriving summer recreation spot.

Crazy? No. Crowded? Yes. 100 yards in any direction from the launch and everything opens up nicely.

If I were visiting from out of town with family this is where I would want to be. Our "low wind" 10m day is epic for those from many other kiting spots in the country. Post kiting food, brew, parks for kids, movies, kids day camps for water sports. The list goes on.

I'm all for more access. But, I just don't see the "crazy." I think we run the risk of limiting the access that we have, devalue the work of the CGKA, CGWA, The Port, and several volunteers if we, in my mind, confuse crowded with crazy.

Eric
Hood River

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 09, 16 7:56 am     Reply with quote

Semantics Wink

I don't usually have a problem with the number of people, and I love hanging out in HR.

With newbs learning, people throwing tricks in shallow water, people launching and landing, families wading and swimming, observers taking pics, dogs playing, people flying trainer kites and jet skis zipping around, the HR sandbar can get a little " crowded " at times.

Last edited by boardrider on Tue Aug 09, 16 8:18 am; edited 2 times in total

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Aug 09, 16 7:57 am     Reply with quote

eric wrote:

Crazy? No. Crowded? Yes.
Hood River

Eric - well stated and point taken.

Which kind of adds to my second point regarding more structure. Realizing that as a community we have no real authority, I think it is important that each of us individually realize that there will only continue to be more and more kiters on the river. The sport is just too darn good.

If we want to continue enjoying our sport I think we need to make extra efforts to allow for the extra crowds... Which in my mind means more structure within the launch and landing zones of primary locations.

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Aug 09, 16 9:14 am     Reply with quote

I think what people want is easy convenient launches. Lots of beach, no obstacles, consistent wind and places where everyone wants to be cuz it's cool and there is safety in numbers. HR is convenient so that's where people go. There are lots of launches but they aren't convenient. All you need is a kite buddy with an adventurous spirit and you'll find great launches from Astoria well into the eastern desert. Sounds like it's time for exploration....

Just my perspective....

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Aug 09, 16 9:25 am     Reply with quote

pollywog wrote:
I think what people want is easy convenient launches. Lots of beach, no obstacles, consistent wind and places where everyone wants to be cuz it's cool and there is safety in numbers. HR is convenient so that's where people go. There are lots of launches but they aren't convenient. All you need is a kite buddy with an adventurous spirit and you'll find great launches from Astoria well into the eastern desert. Sounds like it's time for exploration....

Just my perspective....

My thoughts exactly. If you are willing to drive and have the ability to self launch (drift/tether/hot) there are a good number of less crowded launches. Anything close or convenient will be crowded.

FYI - A few years ago there was a good effort to clear blackberry beach that is located across from Stevenson. Alot of work was put into clearing the beach however the last time I checked that launch was not used much and is over grown again. There was also efforts to make viento and Rowen more usable. Neither of these places seem crowded.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostTue Aug 09, 16 11:22 am     Reply with quote

All spot on input.

Congestion is beginner based. If you're a beginner you're going to ride Hood River so to keep it fun take your lessons in the Fall or Spring. Hone your upwind and self launch skills in May/June so you can ride wherever you want July/ August and beat the crowds. If you have buddy support no other part of the globe has it as good as we do when it comes to inland kiting options.

The average river width is 1 mile, peaking to 3 miles and 75 miles make up the National Scenic Area. There's enough room for kiting to significantly grow and since only 3 of the 8 recognized launches (not counting secret spots) are used consistently there is no need to pump funds and effort into finding new launches.

The CGKA and Port need to continually communicate how to best manage new kiters who will always ride from the Sandbar. HR has everything a family wants to enjoy so no other launch can compete. Beginners, thankfully, will always be a part of the mix. Maybe in the future buoys designate a teaching area and launch and landing zones like the Event Site grass during spring/fall to spread the beginners further out? Difficult when the wind is pushing them towards the Sandbar but those are the discussions taking place. CGKA is small, donor time, unlike the more funded CGWA so don't expect a lot out of action from them. Ideally for the future growth they should contemplate a merger.

I've kited the ES/Sandbar practically daily for a decade and it never feels chaotic and always a great vibe. So many good people helping and the congestion is not so much kite students as it is newly graduated kiters that hover. If they could ride away from the Sandbar and quit mowing the lawn by the shoreline it would be ideal but they are still learning to ride upwind so they all end up bunched together. They also cannot fly blind yet so it's a place you don't want to be around if the wind is dirty. It can be stressful which is why the "shit show" phrase surfaces every year about this time. The good news is the first minute of your HR session threading the needle can be the trickiest and then it's wide open as far as you can see....even in July. The bad news is if you can only ride in that 100 yard square area.....it's about the worst place to push through your learning curve. Go to Jones and work it out.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1471 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 09, 16 12:45 pm     Reply with quote

It would be nice to have a legit user friendly launch in the Rowena - Doug's corridor.

If any of you are interested in helping out by volunteering your time to work on the Rowena park access - pm me and I'll make sure you get invited to the next CGKA meeting.

It was a work in progress but the manager of the park retired and the new guy was not easy to work with. That was a couple of years ago - the time may be ripe.

One issue at Rowena is that it's a designated native American historical site. For any further improvements like dumping pea gravel on the beach - an archaeology inspection must first take place and the rumor is that there's a multi-year waiting list for the state inspector. Just a rumor and I don't know if it's true.

Anyway - that's the type of issues a volunteer needs to work thru.

bobgatpdx

Since 04 Oct 2008
218 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Aug 09, 16 1:51 pm     Reply with quote

boardrider wrote:

I've been looking for other good launch spots.
To me Viento seemed sketchy - have to drift launch?
Not sure where "Butters" is - is that one we are allowed to talk about?
I've seen all kinds of posts about how you better know what you're doing at Stevenson - which is off-putting. Haven't tried it yet.
I also scoped out Blackberry Beach - very overgrown, no place to launch that I could see.

I have no problem self launching/landing, though I haven't tried drift launching. Open to suggestions.
- Bob

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostTue Aug 09, 16 2:17 pm     Reply with quote

bobgatpdx wrote:
I have no problem self launching/landing, though I haven't tried drift launching. Open to suggestions.Bob

Bob, check out Stevenson so you see how it's laid out. Very supportive scene and if Dangler is there he'll get you dialed in nicely. Or, in about 6-10 days you'll have all the room you want in HR and the season is steady through October so plenty of time to get your time on the water. Good luck. Thumb's Up

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1471 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 09, 16 3:25 pm     Reply with quote

Bob,
Regarding Viento.
First - it's mostly a place to launch for a downwinder to the Event Site.
It's a gusty section of the river with dirty wind and not that great of a place to kite at the beach.
Quite often there will be other kiters there to help launch your kite.
Wear booties!
Most people do it with the kiter standing in chest deep water and the person holding the kite on the beach. You have to go out to chest deep water to get away from the trees on the beach.
If you want to self launch it's sketchy because the beach is full of rocks that will snag your lines. And slippery rocks. Did i mention booties?
I usually wade out into waist deep water and drift launch.
There is also a log on the beach that you can tie a strap to and walk your kite out onto the water.

unbob

Since 31 Aug 2008
260 Posts
'da Gorge/LaV
Obsessed

PostTue Aug 09, 16 7:18 pm     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
It would be nice to have a legit user friendly launch in the Rowena - Doug's corridor.
Agreed, need more launch spots!

So, whatever happened to the rumored new Oregon SP that was "under study" some years ago? Located just NW of the Columbia Gorge Discovery Center & Museum. Beautiful sand beach. Haven't explored the spot myself but others have. And people do launch there now. Looking across the river from the WA side it appears to be a fantastic spot with much potential. Of course, the RR tracks would have to be crossed to gain access and that's always a major project to achieve (how long did it take to get a crossing at Viento?).

Anyone know anything re this spot possibly being developed?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: