Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Safety Fail - Any Ideas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
proletariat

Since 22 Feb 2013
102 Posts
Denver, CO
Stoked

PostFri Jul 08, 16 6:41 pm    Safety Fail - Any Ideas? Reply with quote

Soooo... I was out on my 12m on a pretty dodgy day, and had come into shore to switch boards when a gnarly gust hit. I'm guessing it was about 35 mph, but I dunno. It was sketchballs, and I was getting drug out towards the lake pretty fast so I popped the safety and... NOTHING. Bar just went out to the length of the leash and sat there and kite kept flying as if I had just depowered.... still dragging towards lake. I cursed a lot. I tug like crazy on the safety line like 5 times and am still dragging towards lake. I curse a LOT more and finally throw all my strength into hauling myself up to the bar, where I grab the little red handle and start shaking it like crazy... it finally pops and flags out and I'm in about chest deep water.

I've had slingshot bars stick after safety release before, but a couple of tugs will get them to shake loose. This is a new bar, but I took the donkey dick off to fit better on my RE Harness. I can't see how this could've been caused by that, but I'm obviously reconsidering the wisdom of doing so. Do you think this is just a case of a bad-idea-mod or has anyone else had a slingshot guardian not release under serious tension?

Thanks in advance.

swimmer

Since 08 Jul 2016
7 Posts

Kook

PostFri Jul 08, 16 9:36 pm     Reply with quote

So the bungee safety rope connects to the front line with a larks head knot, and that knot gets pushed into a hole on the swivel. Essentially that knot is what keeps the front line attached to the swivel and not slip through the hole. You say this bar is new and I'm guessing this is the first time you activated the safety? Lines are generally a little thicker when they are new and that knot can really get pressed into the hole from jerks, jumping, high wind, etc...

My first assumption is the knot got stuck in the hole more than usual. I have had this happen when i was playing around with my kite unhooked and i forgot to suicide attach my leash but when i accidentally let go of the bar the kite just stayed flying at zenith. Worked out well in this story as I reeled the kite back in without getting it wet. This was in about 17mph wind.

Another place that knot got stuck on me was on the release butter box but only for a second. Any time you have knots/connection points it increases the chances of things getting caught or stuck. Despite this I still love the SS compstick, it is super durable, serviceable and easy to modify. My fav Bar!

What you can do is add a tad of silicone grease (like for rubber O-rings) to the knot and hole to prevent it from getting stuck. Don't use WD-40, mineral oil or any petroleum based oil as it potentially to damage plastics (lines).

proletariat

Since 22 Feb 2013
102 Posts
Denver, CO
Stoked

PostSat Jul 09, 16 6:30 am     Reply with quote

Yeah, new bar, but not the first time I popped the safety while powered. First time was here:

https://youtu.be/7bNZ5gZxafo

It definitely felt like the knot getting stuck like I've seen on my other compsticks, but never THIS stuck. Thanks for the grease recommendation. I'll definitely try that. And yeah, I agree; definitely my favorite bar.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: