Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

04 fuels?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostTue Feb 27, 07 9:25 pm    04 fuels? Reply with quote

how are the 04 fuels? slow? bad depower? etc?

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4204 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Feb 27, 07 9:53 pm     Reply with quote

I like my 04 Fuels. I like the larger ones more since I modified them with both the SS oneline and a KPO-like bridle on the wingtips. The biggest problem they do have is that the larger ones tend to fall leading edge first and tumble if you get a lull of less than about 7 or 8 knots. I have a big bow that just sits back further in the window in lulls, much preferable. However, once the wind picks up, I like the feel of the Fuel a lot better. Dive the kite and you get a much bigger surge of power.

I've not flown many other C kites, so I can't really comment on the de-power, at least using just the bar & depower trim. However, using a sheetable fifth line they have plenty of depower. I can ride my 19 from about 11 knots up to 22 or so. Just reef in on the fifth line and you're good.

For the price you can pick up an 04 Fuel for, they're great. If you're going to buy one, check the bladders. if they have black nipples, they will fail. The bladders with the clear nipples are the warranty replacements. if you see one with the black, plan on buying a new set of bladders.

Nak

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Feb 27, 07 10:23 pm     Reply with quote

why go 04 when you can go 05 or 06... ? Very Happy

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-3894.html
http://www.nwkite.com/forums/f-2.html

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4204 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Feb 27, 07 10:36 pm     Reply with quote

Hey, definately get the 05 or 06 if you can get the deal! Very Happy

Nak

EdG

Since 19 Dec 2005
424 Posts
Just a Kook that's
Obsessed

PostTue Feb 27, 07 10:52 pm     Reply with quote

If you can get newer gear I think it would be best. With all the advancements the past years I can see why a lot of people sell their gear at the end of each season. I say that after I sold my 04 kites this year and bought 06 Kites for last season and this coming season. just my opinion Very Happy Very Happy

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed Feb 28, 07 7:56 am     Reply with quote

i hear you on newer.... but I was looking for a bigass kite to keep out at the beach. there's days where my 12 waroo just isn't quite enough.... even with a 6' surfboard. i found a 19 fuel for $100. Seemed like a steal if it flew at all. Does anyone know the windrange of a kite that size?

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Feb 28, 07 8:39 am     Reply with quote

I guess the best way to find out what big kites are all about is to own one, so you could call it a $100 learning experience. Very Happy

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostWed Feb 28, 07 8:40 am     Reply with quote

FlyinElvis wrote:
i found a 19 fuel for $100. Seemed like a steal if it flew at all. Does anyone know the windrange of a kite that size?

Somewhere between 10-20mph and 12-22mph depending on board size, maybe 8-20mph with a bigger board and steady winds.

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostWed Feb 28, 07 8:54 am     Reply with quote

magicmaker wrote:
FlyinElvis wrote:
i found a 19 fuel for $100. Seemed like a steal if it flew at all. Does anyone know the windrange of a kite that size?

Somewhere between 10-20mph and 12-22mph depending on board size, maybe 8-20mph with a bigger board and steady winds.

I ride an '04 19 meter fuel out at Sauvie's island (I am actually trying to sell it so I can upgrade to an 06). But Generally I start getting over powered around 20 MPH. I weight 180. It has been a really good kite - so if you can steal one for $100 and it works - I would say go for it!

MEwing5000

Since 14 Nov 2005
34 Posts
Seattle

PostWed Feb 28, 07 9:15 am     Reply with quote

I have only owned '04 Fuels. I own 7 through 17, my favorite is the 11, I have also converted to a fifth line that does help the range a bit but I think it kills your jump hight. Also the bigger ones are great if you have exactly the right wind speed for your weight but if its up and down at all they turn into pigs for me. I like to do other stuff than just jump huge and quickly lose confidence to try other stuff when I get tea bagged a couple of times. I'd go with some new technology, I can't wait to get my hands on something new. That being said I have learned everything I know on these kites. The nipples are a major problem if they haven't been replaced also you'll need to put zip ties on the one pump hoses. good luck.

hamlindp

Since 09 Feb 2007
358 Posts
I aint no lawnmowin' pump kite parker, I'm that dadgum
Channel Marker

PostWed Feb 28, 07 10:04 am    KPO like wing tip bridle system Reply with quote

Yo NAK,

I also added a fifth line to my 16M 04 Fuel. It was the only way I could relaunch that beast Embarassed I might mention here that if you don't dive the kite when you jump, the kite turns and falls leading edge first out of the sky. You mentioned a KPO type bridle retrofit to the wing tips. This is the first time I've heard of such an animal. Could you explain how it works and were to buy the mod?

I'm a Sauvies Island old schooler. I've sailed there since '81!

I also own 20M Cabrihna that I'm still trying to learn to reverse-relaunch using their Recon System. Very difficult with low windage. Someone told me once, "If you can't relaunch it, don't crash it". Good advice.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4204 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed Feb 28, 07 10:08 am     Reply with quote

$100 for a 19 is a great deal. Make sure it has the clear nipples or you'll have to buy a set of bladders. The 19 definitely flys better with the fifth line and the KPO type wingtip bridle. If anyone is interested I can post how to do that mod. The fifth line won't limit your jumps if you rig it to be just a little loose. Then just trim in the fifth for higher winds.

If you aren't going to buy it, and if it has the clear nipples, let me know. I'd be interested in that kite to leave in Honolulu for that price. (I have a car there.)

Do be aware that in very light lulls it will tumble out of the sky. (About 7 knots.) A better solution for light wind is the Machine. Real has new Machines complete with bar for $500 right now.

http://www.realkiteboarding.com/index.cfm?page=detail&catID=475&productID=7710

That's a pretty good deal!

Nak

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Feb 28, 07 10:17 am     Reply with quote

$100 bucks is a good deal, but you still got to pump the thing up and fly it... if you really want something that works really well I'd spend a little more get a modern 14m-17m. The Machine is a good kite, and for $500 complete I'd opt for it over the $100 fuel even. Get a 17.5m machine, don't go bigger than that... for your weight you don't need it.

Also a surfboard isn't really a lightwind board like a Glide. Maybe a huge long board that's so bouyant you can stand on it without even moving... but really the glide or something similar is better because it has zero rocker, sharp edges, and the right shape for getting upwind.

I know a lot of people say they have a surfboard as a lightwind board and think its the ultimate, but its really not. A surfboard is cool because you can ride waves with it and on a downwinder in lightwinds I'd take a surfboard over a glide... but for staying upwind and absolute low end the glide or something similar is still better.

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostWed Feb 28, 07 10:40 am     Reply with quote

imho my 04 19 was as good of a kite as my machines. the machine has less air in it because of the rigid battens. I wouldn't buy bigger than a 17.5 machine my 20 rarely produces more power than my 17.5 but will hang in the sky at a lower wind speed but not pull much more.

get a big board for light wind and a big kite you can turn to try and keep things from stalling .

04s were great kites and I only replaced 1 L.E. bladder ever out of my 4 04 kites it was an issue for most however.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4204 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed Feb 28, 07 10:46 am     Reply with quote

Hi Hamlindp!

Before I knew there was a KPO I was playing around with the idea. It works really well on my larger 04 fuels, so much so I'm going to try it on my smaller ones.

Benefits:
1. Turns faster with less bar input. It doesn't make the kite turn faster technically. But it does require less bar input and less bar pressure to turn the kite. The result is it feels like the kite turns faster. My 19 felt like a pig to me before, now its pretty decent for a big kite. Still a lot slower than smaller kites though...

2. Significantly less bar pressure. Like 70% - 80% less.

3. Handles gusts easier. You get more depower for the same bar movement. Total depower remains unchanged, you just need less bar movement to get it. the depower strap really just becomes a trim strap. Full depower is available just by moving the bar out. (NOT bow-like depower!!!)

4. Relaunch is easier. My feeling anyway.

CONS:
1. You have two pulleys on the kite.

2. DANGER. If you place the bridle wrong, the kite can power up completely with no way to control it!!! Steering can be lost in this situation. Placement of the bridle attachment points is CRITICAL!!!

The bridle is very simple. All it really is is one extra pigtail on the wingtip. Airtime can add this for pretty cheap. (I forget exactly how much it was.) the placement of that pigtail is what is critical. I'll post pics later, but the bridle is just one line (1/8" Amsteel) hooked to the front pigtail and the new pigtail, creating a "V". A pulley rides on that line. The front pigtail in turn is attached to the pulley. Rear attachment is unchanged, although you do need a long pigtail to make up for the length of the bridle. One bridle for each wingtip.

Once done, you really need to test it while it is hooked up to an immovable object, like a truck. (I didn't do it this way initially, not fun at all. I could have been killed.) Check that the kite still is controllable. Check that the kite powers and depowers with control bar movement. Check it in at least the highest winds you'll fly this kite.

Compared to new technology you might not be impressed. Compared to how the old kite flys before and after though...

Last is the new pigtail placement. There are a couple of ways to calculate this. If anyone is still interested I'll post pics of the mod and how to calculate the pigtail placement. If I've scared everyone off then no need! Very Happy

DANGER: PLEASE REMEMBER! If you do not place the new pigtail properly, the kite WILL NOT be controllable!!!

NAK

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Feb 28, 07 2:24 pm     Reply with quote

registered wrote:
imho my 04 19 was as good of a kite as my machines.

the machines in my experience turn quite a bit quicker and built-in 5th line is nice. old school relaunching a 19m fuel in 10mph winds... Shocked

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed Feb 28, 07 2:28 pm     Reply with quote

i found pretty cheap machines on real's site (I think it was)... 17.5 or a 20 for 300. that doesn't seem too bad... .but really, for 300, i may just keep looking for a big bow...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: