Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

fuels for beginners

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
hobbsla

Since 28 Jan 2006
389 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Feb 14, 07 9:33 am    fuels for beginners Reply with quote

How many of you went through your beginner stages on fuels? I can get a great deal on a quiver of '04s but not sure if its worth it.

Thanks, Jeremy

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostWed Feb 14, 07 9:45 am     Reply with quote

learned on 02 in 03 and wouldn't recommend them , but the 04s are good. I would get some used 05 or 06s though, or warroooos?

Those 02 had plenty of power and like not much in the depower dept. Laughing I am still scared. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostWed Feb 14, 07 9:55 am     Reply with quote

i learned in 05 on 05's and never looked back. definately convert to 5th line if you get them.

hobbsla

Since 28 Jan 2006
389 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Feb 14, 07 10:30 am     Reply with quote

I was getting ready to buy a waroo when I found out I was going to be a daddy! Very Happy

So now I have to rethink the budget.

The kites are used, in mint condition, and I can get 3 kites for what I was gonna spend on the waroo.

I dont mind used kites as I'll probably thrash'em a bit this year anyway!

I have an '05 bar with oneline already so financially it seems like a winner deal....

But will my progress be held back by getting to advanced a kite? (low/med aspect vs. high aspect)

I think I'd be okay on the fuels but just wanted to hear opinions from others who had learned on em too!

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostWed Feb 14, 07 10:45 am     Reply with quote

hobbsla wrote:

But will my progress be held back by getting to advanced a kite? (low/med aspect vs. high aspect)

I think I'd be okay on the fuels but just wanted to hear opinions from others who had learned on em too!

These kites are great - not the depower/range of the newer kites - probably the best deal for the money - the bladders did have an issue with leaking at the valves on the 04 (make sure the valves are clear? - means they fixed-em) I still use my 04 fuels for snow kites - like that 5th line (miss that with the Waroos).

Got an 01 10m fuel I learned on - for a real bargain - now that is a scary piece of crap -though JK survived learing on it.

Last edited by Gman on Wed Feb 14, 07 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostWed Feb 14, 07 10:49 am     Reply with quote

I have a 19 meter '04 fuel and love it. I bought it when I was still pretty new to the sport. I only use it out at Sauvie's island. It was pretty easy to use - but I did upgrade it to 5th line. I wouldn't have had a lot of fun without the 5th line - because I did crash it a lot and it would have been very difficult for a beginner to get a 4th line 19 meter '04 fuel back up.

I don't know if I would have had the same experience if I had used a 9 meter fuel in the gorge. So - with my limited experience on an '04 fuel I would say that I loved the kite and it was pretty easy to learn on (but this is coming from a guy who used a 19 meter out at Sauvie's where I generally didn't have to worry about getting too over-powered).

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostWed Feb 14, 07 10:52 am     Reply with quote

hobbsla wrote:

The kites are used, in mint condition, and I can get 3 kites for what I was gonna spend on the waroo.

if you can get a 3 kite quiver, then you wont need the super depower range of the newer kites, just learn which kite to ride in what conditions.
what sizes are you getting?

Also if you have the 5th line, you can always pull the 5th line in, spill tons of wind/power off the trailing edge of the kite and they depower pretty darn good.

It is true, it might be a little steeper learning curve on a more advanced kite, but if you can already get up on the board and ride then you're past that point. If you ask me, having the more advanced kite will be a blessing once you are totally proficient at going upwind, because then you wont be looking or wanting more advanced gear.

The only problem i had learning on the 05 fuels, was that they weren't 5th line and i had lots of trouble with deep water relaunch, which held my progress back because i was afraid of crashing the kite out in the channel and having to self rescue if i couldn't relaunch.

hobbsla

Since 28 Jan 2006
389 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Feb 14, 07 11:00 am     Reply with quote

I'd be getting a 9, 13, and 17. I live in a pretty lightwind area and think I'll be on the 17 alot.

This all makes me feel alot better. Smile

Thanks everybody!

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostWed Feb 14, 07 3:49 pm     Reply with quote

Go to caution they are selling 06s complete starting at 300(4m).. 399.00 for 8m complete. . I can sell you some fuels cheap and maybe I will buy some cautions. I have flown with a spitfire 1 and 2 mixed in for two years now and I can say they are awesome and only lack 1 pump. I have 7- 20 slingys only missing 13 and several sling bars. Little higher aspect than fuels.

Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostWed Feb 14, 07 6:21 pm     Reply with quote

I learned on a 12m 2002 fuel then quickly bought a 13m 2004 fuel and a 9m 2005 fuel...I loved them. Although I have to say that after trying a 7m and an 11 meter waroo that SLEs would be nice to learn on. I flew the fuels fifth line so you can depower quite a bit. I've made mine look flat quite a few times.

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostWed Feb 14, 07 6:48 pm     Reply with quote

One of my buddies learned on '05 Fuels last year (w/ 5th line). His progression was real fast. Maybe take a lesson from Will at Floras Lake. He uses Fuels to teach with, and could let you try the new TurboD, which, I understand, is alot like a Waroo.

boredbrain

Since 16 Feb 2006
352 Posts
Hood River
Obsessed

PostThu Feb 15, 07 9:50 am    Depends on your attitude Reply with quote

I learned on the 05 Fuels and upgrading to the 5th line really helped.

The Fuels will definately accelerate your learning curve, if it doesn't, the beatings just continue.

I would not go cheap in this sport, nor would I buy more than a year old, the equipment is definately still making large improvements. And the best gear today will still be pretty good the following year.

Enjoy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: