Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Corpus or SPI?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
FunShui

Since 16 Jul 2006
146 Posts
Really, really
Stoked

PostMon Feb 12, 07 9:03 am    Corpus or SPI? Reply with quote

Want to go the last week of March and teach my 15 yr. old niece to kite. I have been to SPI to kite but never to CC. It is a little easier to get to but wondering where the conditions are likely to be better.

Looks like the surf would be about the same?

Thanks.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostMon Feb 12, 07 9:27 am     Reply with quote

I've been to both, Corpus over SPI.

-They have pretty much the same wind, corpus is most likely windier.
-There are only a couple places to kite in SPI, the flats and the beach (beach is 11 miles long).
-Corpus has many places to kite that make any wind direction work:
http://www.prokitesurf.com/kitingcorpus.htm
-Corpus is SUPER DUPER cheap.
-Packery Channel would be best place to teach as there is nothing downwind by flat shallow water for miles. Plus there are some sliders if you get brave.
-Most launches are nice green soft grass.
-Corpus kiters are very friendly and helpful. Never met a rude kiter there.

On the other hand:
-If you want any type of nightlife at all, goto SPI.
-SPI has nicer beaches, whiter sand, less oil rigs on the horizon.
-SPI has other stuff for the family to do, shop, water park, go karts, bungee jumping, that kind of touristy stuff.
-Talk to Jeff Hoxtel at airpadrekiteboarding.com he's the man at SPI.

Either way, you'll have fun at both, and they're only 2 hours away from each other if you feel like you've made a mistake.

FunShui

Since 16 Jul 2006
146 Posts
Really, really
Stoked

PostMon Feb 12, 07 10:00 am     Reply with quote

Thanks, Forrest.

That is just info I was looking for. I was going to call Jeff for his opinion and set my niece up with lessons from them if we went to SPI.

Looks like CC to me! Now all I have to do is find her a good instructor for the beginner stuff.

Rick

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostMon Feb 12, 07 10:25 am     Reply with quote

man, i agree with everything forrest said, except i have to disagree a little on the 'things to do'. I lived on SPI for a few years, if you're not there during spring break, or mid summer, there's not really much at all to do (which was fine for me)... if you go to corpus at least you have a town of 200K or so people that you can go visit, restaurants, shopping, etc.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostMon Feb 12, 07 12:13 pm     Reply with quote

Actually, FlyinElvis is right. There isn't much to do in SPI either unless it's a holiday weekend or spring break. It's pretty much deserted otherwise.

If you're planning on going during spring break, and like the party scene, then goto SPI. Louie's is always fun, I once got mistaken for Kid Rock there and got to sign some girl's boobies with a pen. Had long hair at the time and I was drunk off my ass wearking sun glasses at night like a retard.

I hope I'm not making this any harder, but: All my friends and I have taken lessons with Jeff Hoxtell from Airpadre and he is definitely the man! I would recommend him over anyone in South Texas. He was patient and encouraging with my wife, encouraging with me (not that I needed it, I knew I was going to be addicted to this sport the minute I got up on the board), and treated us all like family. Give him a call first, I know he has a condo he rents to his students and might be able to give a nice package deal.

My orignal advise about Corpus/Packery Channel was based on my assumption that you're as dumb as me and teach your friends yourself.

(BTW, I grew up in San Antonio, TX if you're wondering why I know so much about this area.)

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostMon Feb 12, 07 4:12 pm     Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:

(BTW, I grew up in San Antonio, TX if you're wondering why I know so much about this area.)

NW! Culebra Road... spent most of my time on Medina Lake! you?

FunShui

Since 16 Jul 2006
146 Posts
Really, really
Stoked

PostTue Feb 13, 07 7:19 am     Reply with quote

Thanks guys. It is great to have you locals give me the dopejavascript:emoticon('Very Happy').

Forrest, I can so see you being Kid Rock for a nite, especially when it leads to signing breasts.javascript:emoticon('Laughing')

Elvis, I agree with you about SPI's nite life. I was there over a Memorial day weekend and it was still pretty dead. Doesn't matter much to me, I plan on wearing us out during the day so it will be a Ben Franklin kinda week.

Jeff is a great guy and I will take your word for his teaching ability. Patience and safety orientation are the best traits for a kite instructor, I'll call him up and see what we can do.

Pray for wind!

Rick

marina c

Since 03 Apr 2006
    318 Posts
    California/Gorge Summer
    Obsessed

PostTue Feb 13, 07 9:48 am    Corpus Reply with quote

If you plan on going to Corpus, the two schools are:

Jeff/Prokitesurf
    Ryan/SouthCoastKiteboarding

SCK is based right at launch at Packery. Instructors are Ben Chambers (from your area:-), Zach Kleppe (slingshot rider from FL), Ian Hutchinson (Neil's bro from SS) and Ryan Riccitelli (The Kiteboarder Mag).

Jeff Howard also runs a great school:-)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: