Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

SS Fuel '05 vs '06

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Reaper356

Since 10 Dec 2006
781 Posts
Salem / LC Oregon
Opinionated

PostSun Feb 11, 07 11:41 am    SS Fuel '05 vs '06 Reply with quote

Hey for all you slingy guys out there,

How much better are the SS 06 Fuel's than the 05's (5 line setup)? I've heard the bag sucks on the '05 and the fifth line config is a little different? But is the difference night and day. Debating if it's worth about another $200 for the '06 gear.

btw: I'll probably go for a 13m.

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostSun Feb 11, 07 11:56 am     Reply with quote

the 06 is a ton better if you ask me. I owned an 05 11m and still own an 06 11m, so i've been able to do a side by side comparison can also offer some insight on the 5th line setup.

the 06 is higher aspect than the 05. The center strut on the 05 11m was prolly 8 inches longer than on 06.

the 06 has wider wingtips making for a faster turning kite.

the 06 bar has a dugout where the chicken loop rope comes through, again making for a faster kite and very little bar pressure.

5th line setup: if you convert the 05 to a 5th line with their one-line kite, the housing where the chicken loop attaches to the rope is kinda funky and if you ever disengage the chicken loop out in the water it is very unlikely you'll be able to put it back together while having to swim/tread water. You might be able to if you're wearing a life jacket and can just float. The 06 lock'n'load is fairly easy to put back together while out in the water, as i've had to do this on a couple occasions where for some frigging reason the lock'n'load just released on accident.

you can of course get an 06 lock'n'load chicken loop & rope and upgrade the bar. Also a note on the 05 one-line chicken loop release, my buddy on two different occasions disengaged the chicken loop when he really meant to pull in and cleat off the 5th line. I fail to comprehend how he could futz that, but he did it twice so i thought i'd just throw that out there for ya.

and the 06 has the wave grenade, but i only used that once all last summer, its a nifty device, but doesn't get much use.

I think that about covers it, i love my 06 11m and can't wait for the next shipment of 07 fuels to come into slingshot so i can get my 07 11m.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSun Feb 11, 07 1:33 pm     Reply with quote

I have '05s, and I hate them (mine don't depower worth a shit - ask Jeff, Tucker, Nate), even though I love Slingshot... '06s! Thumb's Up

Definately am getting '07s this year though.

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSun Feb 11, 07 6:12 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah, te 05s are good i think, but the 06s are the best C kites ive ever been on. Havent gotten a chance to ride my 07 yet tho Twisted Evil

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostSun Feb 11, 07 8:01 pm     Reply with quote

I just got done with 5 days in a row on a 9m 2007 Fuel. I can honestly say this is the best c-kite I have ever used. It has lots of range, amazing lift and is totally predictale. Even when you mess up a jump and the kite gets low in the window, it doesn't kick your ass like the old days. It handles gusts like nothing else. It does all this while maintaining the great construction details the Fuel is known for.
If I was you save your money for an 07 and skip the 05 and 06.

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostSun Feb 11, 07 8:15 pm     Reply with quote

I was under the impression that the '05 and '06
5, 7 & 9 m sizes were essentially the same shape.
I'm looking forward to riding the '07s but still wish
ss made a 6m Fuel. Naish has got every size in
their Torch line.

I'm also wondering if the '07 kites gained or lost
weight compared to the '05's. My '05 9m weighs
6lbs 2oz kite only The 7m right at 6lbs. Anyone
care to weigh their '07s ?

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostSun Feb 11, 07 9:21 pm     Reply with quote

Hein, the 7m weighs 5lbs 6 oz
and the 9m wiehs 6 lbs 4 oz

My scale is fairly accurate, The airlines scale said the same as mine at check-in for my "golf" bag.

I didn't get the try out the 7m because it never got quite windy enough. I never felt over powered on the 9m and the kite turns so well and has good low end so the lulls were not an issue.

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostSun Feb 11, 07 9:25 pm     Reply with quote

Hein, I know you like small kites....
The 2007s have such good range. the 5m-7m gap will probably not bother you this year.......

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSun Feb 11, 07 9:29 pm     Reply with quote

They really need the '06 Link/'07 bar to depower to their full potential though...

And as far as the weight, even though they pulled the (S)ATL system, I guess the new, wider wingtips add some..?

Teague

Since 10 Jul 2005
114 Posts
Really Windy Places
Stoked

PostMon Feb 12, 07 8:52 am     Reply with quote

05's = pretty standard C-kite depower

06's = very good C-kite depower

and the 07's = incredible C-kite depower and even better power response

A very hard to beat kite hands down!

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostMon Feb 12, 07 12:40 pm     Reply with quote

The '06s and '07s are the same EXCEPT the 9m and smaller. The 7 and 9m kites actually have a similar (or same??? someone at SS can correct me) aspect and shape as '05s. I just got my '07s and laid 'em out and the '07s are higher aspect being shorter at the middle strut and wider at the wingtips. Haven't flyed them yet so can't comment on the performance but I've heard the '07 9s and 7s are a big improvement.

Reaper356

Since 10 Dec 2006
781 Posts
Salem / LC Oregon
Opinionated

PostTue Feb 13, 07 7:59 pm     Reply with quote

From what I've heard it sounds mostly like a bar issue. And apparently the '07 bar kicks ass on depower?

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostTue Feb 13, 07 10:21 pm     Reply with quote

its not really the bar, the 06 on the 07 bar doesn't gain depower. the 07s need a lot more throw to access all the depower they are capable of. from when i have been on them it seems like all the sizes have slightly harder bar pressure more depower and swing bigger loops. although the difference is definitely biggest on the smaller kites.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: