Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Some adwise what video camera to get...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
weegi

Since 05 Jul 2006
37 Posts
Bend, Oregon

PostSat Feb 10, 07 6:14 pm    Some adwise what video camera to get... Reply with quote

Looking to by a camra that would be good for kiting and snowboard etc.. any good suggestions? planing on spending around $700'ish..
Thanks... Very Happy

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSun Feb 11, 07 12:34 am     Reply with quote

Just make sure that for 700 anything that you are getting is 3 chip. or hd?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
NateDogg

Since 05 Mar 2005
627 Posts
I caught your mom on
cineaptic.com

PostSun Feb 11, 07 1:02 am     Reply with quote

If you do go HD though make sure you have a burly ass computer. It'd suck not to be able to use all those extra pixels cuz your computer can't handle it

Sol-flyer

Since 21 Mar 2006
1280 Posts
Dude, where's my Bus?
Otto Mann

PostSun Feb 11, 07 9:40 am     Reply with quote

another couple of key features to look for:

A/V in/out,
DV, or firewire
external mic input

for $700 your options are gonna be vast, ty to narrow it down by finding comparison websites,...

i have a panasonic SD-51, pretty sweet camcorder for the price Cool

edit: another thing to look for is a CMOS sensor, instead of CCD

Last edited by Sol-flyer on Sun Feb 11, 07 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSun Feb 11, 07 10:51 am     Reply with quote

I pretty much only like Sony (for a standard single chip cam, they've got the best picture), and if you're planning on editing, etc. then I'd look for a miniDV cam with Firewire (IEEE 1394). Like Nate said, screw HD unless you've got a psycho-ass computer and video editing proggy...

There's a bunch of new cams with hard drives, and if they've got the right computer upload features, could be pretty cool. Normal magnetic heads (like on any miniDV cam) will wear out over time (video playback kills) and have to be replaced. So being that there's no tape on these hard drive cams, most likely this wouldn't be something to worry about.

For editing, definately couldn't go wrong with this.
DCR-HC96

New, but it looks like it could be pretty cool.
DCR-SR82

NateDogg

Since 05 Mar 2005
627 Posts
I caught your mom on
cineaptic.com

PostSun Feb 11, 07 12:36 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah, sony's are pretty good for sure. I hear Canon has a good model out in that price range too though. Check out http://www.camcorderinfo.com for a good comparison over a ton of different models. That's where (among other sources) I ultimately decided on a Sony VX2100 over a Canon GL2, and I definitely found the review spot on.

weegi

Since 05 Jul 2006
37 Posts
Bend, Oregon

PostMon Feb 12, 07 12:14 am     Reply with quote

thanks you all...
have to look into it more, but should get one soon, its some nice snow coming to bachelor now.. Razz

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostMon Feb 12, 07 12:28 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
Yeah, sony's are pretty good for sure. I hear Canon has a good model out in that price range too though. Check out http://www.camcorderinfo.com for a good comparison over a ton of different models. That's where (among other sources) I ultimately decided on a Sony VX2100 over a Canon GL2, and I definitely found the review spot on.

I have been considering a video cam also. Can you guys give me some feedback on a used GL-1? I was thinking of something like this instead of the other cams you listed. I found a pretty good deal on this unit ($750).

jim

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon Feb 12, 07 1:52 pm     Reply with quote

The GL's are decent, but for a 3 chip cam, I don't think they've got that great of picture. The footage from JP's first, single chip TRV-18 always looked better to us than the GL's. Then again, I don't think most Canon's have that great of picture... Maybe it's just me? I did a raw footage comparison for Nate awhile back when he was debating between the GL2 and VX, but I never got to show it to him before he ultimately decided on the VX... Either way, I think anyone would see the difference. Then if you're getting it used, I'd be very careful as the 2 friends I have running GL's, are going to shit (the heads).

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostWed Feb 14, 07 7:03 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
I ultimately decided on a Sony VX2100 over a Canon GL2, and I definitely found the review spot on.

I too ultimately decided on a VX 2100. Thanks for the feedback, I look forward to learning how to use this new toy. I purchased this mainly for action footage on the beach but will use it on the hill this weekend at the Rodeo.
Can anyone recommend a low end (beginner) software for both Mac and Windows? Please feel free to send a pm as this thread is going a little away from kiting.

Jim

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostWed Feb 14, 07 7:40 pm     Reply with quote

Sony Vegas! JP and I both use it, but we're both on PCs. It'll do anything that the high end progs will do, but it's a lot more user friendly.

NateDogg

Since 05 Mar 2005
627 Posts
I caught your mom on
cineaptic.com

PostWed Feb 14, 07 10:17 pm     Reply with quote

Sick! You're gonna be stoked with the VX

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: