Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

weatherflow/ikitesurf dropping features

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostTue Oct 20, 15 10:33 am    weatherflow/ikitesurf dropping features Reply with quote

I've been trying to get my head round the ikitesurf android app and the new version of the web site. Specifically how to view pressure gradient info and forecasting. I couldn't figure it out so i tried chatting with Weatherflow. The dialog is below. I think this is so lame, I've been supporting these guys for 20 years and now they seem more interested in a flashy website over substance. The first rep didn't even know what Windbow was! We all know gradients are everything for the Gorge yet Windflow can't be bothered to continue supporting the information in site and app updates.

****chat with Windflow*****

paul
how do i view windbow from the android mobile app

Chat started
Maureen Sanders joined the chat

Maureen Sanders
Hello. What do you mean by windbow?
paul
http://www.ikitesurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=218&Isection=Windbow&short=0

Raya Maday joined the chat
Maureen Sanders left the chat

Raya Maday
Hi Paul, We are in the middle of switching shifts and I am taking over for Maureen. Unfortunately, we do not have the windbow option for andriod app since this is a classic feature. It is available via browser on your device if you were to type in the url
Raya Maday left the chat
paul
It is an extremely important feature especially when you stop meteorologist forecasts. Where do i find it in the new version of the website?

Raya Maday joined the chat

Raya Maday
It is only avaliable on the classic sight as of right now. We are still working on incorperating some of the neat classic features into the new version
paul
I hope you add it quickly and also into the mobile app. It seems your updates provide pretty graphics at the expense of forecasting tools.

Where are pressure gradients in the new website and android mobile app

Raya Maday
Those features are also exclusively on the classic sight as well.
paul
You guys have been providing pressure reports to windsurfers and now kiters since we used to have dialin to an 800 number and rent pagers pre cell phones and pre internet - it is very, very disappointing you are not extending them to mobile and website updates

Raya Maday left the chat
Rate This Chat

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostTue Oct 20, 15 10:40 am     Reply with quote

I guess that is why I still mostly use the classic site - even on my phone. I will use the mobile app for getting a quick glance of winds and tides. But if I want the information I normally use to make a decision about whether to drive an hour or three to go kite - I have never stopped using the classic site. At least the classic site still works well and seems to be supported.

bmmiller

Since 20 Oct 2015
5 Posts

Kook

PostTue Oct 20, 15 12:36 pm     Reply with quote

Guys and gals,

You don't have to worry about WeatherFlow pulling the plug on products that you know and love. The new iKitesurf interface (also for iWindsurf and other WeatherFlow products) is a completely different system. Our programming staff upgraded everything from the old system, where everything was manually coded, to the new database, where products are geo-based. This means that, on the new interface, it is a lot easier to add new weather stations to the maps and charts. It's also easier to add computer model information. Unfortunately, some of the region specific tools, such as the Windbow (which I personally love and use as a reference when I'm on duty for the meteorologist forecasts), are cumbersome to ingest into the new database since they need to be paired to a certain lat/long grid. As a result, such products have yet to be integrated into the new interface. However, that does NOT mean that they will not be added. In time, our team will incorporate all of these valuable tools. Rest assured that you can access both the classic and new interfaces for the products that you love.

If you have any questions contact support and ask for it to be passed to Benjamin Miller and I'll be happy to help! -Ben

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Oct 20, 15 1:42 pm     Reply with quote

Blazeheliski wrote:
I guess that is why I still mostly use the classic site - even on my phone.

Thanks Blazeheliski, I didn't even know I could access the site directly from my phone. I guess I just assumed it would automatically forward me to the app.

I have always missed having access to pressure reports and other classic features while on the road.

Regarding old vs new... I would be mad if IK removed the Classic, but they haven't. So, I just find myself not using windalert anymore, and replacing it's functionality with newIK. I still use Classic 95% of the time however. There was/is some good stuff in there.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Oct 20, 15 1:57 pm     Reply with quote

Hey benjamin, since we're already complaining online in an alternate bulletin board....

When is IK going to get WRF 2.5k resolution? I see you list 5k on newIK but it doesn't seem to work yet.

If you don't hurry up... Someone may beat you to the punch... Heck I've even looked into what it might take to build a model.

Just Sayin???

bmmiller

Since 20 Oct 2015
5 Posts

Kook

PostTue Oct 20, 15 2:26 pm     Reply with quote

bigjohn,

The WRF 5km that you're referring to does work. However, it seems to have time steps of 3 hours. We need to see if the programmers can correct this, because on new iK it wants to show 1 hour time steps ... hence 2 out of every three time steps are blank. I'll ask about that. We re ingesting this WRF 5km from an outside source. I'd really like to work with UW to ingest their models into the database. As for us running our own model for the Gorge, we currently don't. We have found that we need to dedicate additional efforts to a much higher resolution model than 2.5km. Probably something around 1km or 500m. However, this is not on the docket for the immediate term, but I'll pester the powers that be to see if we can bump up this project. Thanks for the suggestions! -Ben

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Oct 20, 15 3:01 pm     Reply with quote

Benjamin,

That is great news. The current source I'm utilizing (I'm sure it's no surprise to you where I look) has even 1.33k resolution, however the information is slow to update and only in graphical format (difficult to read).

I look forward to at least using 5k resolution on IK.

I have been extremely impressed with the accuracy of WRF at 1.33k during my (non scientific) comparisons throughout this summer. If IK could match that, in my opinion you would be golden.

Just out of curiosity... Is it cost of processing power or lack of access to high resolution topography that is limiting IK from providing WRF at better resolution?

I only ask because if it is topography, perhaps there are other kiters out there who can help with this...

bmmiller

Since 20 Oct 2015
5 Posts

Kook

PostWed Oct 21, 15 9:08 am     Reply with quote

bigjohn,

Currently, the biggest challenge is for our modelling team to find the time. They are heavily involved in tropical weather modelling as well (for other WeatherFlow projects). Computing power is a secondary issue, which could always be solved by renting cloud servers (though that comes at a cost). High-resolution topography data is vital, but I think we can get access to that. (Though the modellers know for sure.) Thanks for your interest! I'll try to correspond more with you directly.

-Ben

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: