Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Waterfront Recreation Meeting 2/13/07 6PM - Update: Report ?
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostThu Feb 15, 07 9:50 am     Reply with quote

Hi Endo :

No zones or restrictions were immediately discusses and the consensus was fairly united throughout all user groups and the governing agencies, in that we need to work on a zoning plan that focuses on safety for all the recreational users, kiters, windsurfers, and swimmers.

The CGWA and CGKA will be working on a proposal to hopefully have ready in time for the next meeting, which will happen in 3-4 weeks.
I think that it will be very important for both the windsurf and kite community to work together on this matter to ensure that we are covering all safety and liability issues. These issues are what is most important in protecting all of our access to the Columbia River and helping the Port avoid any potential injury or shut down issues this season.

Long walks and parking issues aside, the most important way for us to prove to the Port that our recreational activities are worth their dollars and have a relevence in the Hood River Community is for us all to work and play nice together.

Pepi

www.Purestokesports.com

EdG

Since 19 Dec 2005
424 Posts
Just a Kook that's
Obsessed

PostThu Feb 15, 07 11:05 am     Reply with quote

endoshred wrote:
i am so psyched all the leaders are working together proposing early solutions before the winds start up!

That is another thing I got from the meeting. I thought it went well.

Not too much windsurfer vs. kiters drama. As someone said "we're athletes" and as I might be upset about last year, it looks like this year might be a 'joint' year Laughing Laughing

endoshred

Since 22 May 2006
232 Posts
HR
Stoked

PostThu Feb 15, 07 12:15 pm     Reply with quote

i personally have no problem on long walks..... longer walks will weed out the weak (not to mean windsurfers are weak). just not knowing if there will be a rigid plan for segregation or a "lets all just get along" approach. the real estate at the east cape sure looks prime. great bridge view!

Yardsale

Since 29 Mar 2005
387 Posts
Portlanastan
Obsessed

PostFri Feb 16, 07 9:20 am     Reply with quote

Hey Hood River has been having meetings like this for years and nothing productive ever gets done. The sandbar is a joke as far as access and safety and the waterfront is a ugly industrial blythe on the landscape. Hood River and the Port have been fighting over development /access issues for years and it is never clear who is responsible for what-and nothing, I mean nothing has really changed. Maybe things are different now that more activist peeps (like Pepe) are involved, I hope so. I've never been an advocate of access improvements outside of town-we shouldn't make it easier just because a bunch of kiters and windsurfers are getting blisters on their feet-if ya can't deal with the conditions don't go. As far as town however, it is clear that change is long overdue. Thanks for tolerating my rant. Shocked Very Happy

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostFri Feb 16, 07 11:40 am     Reply with quote

Hein :

You might want to do some more homework before you get on a public forum and begin making uninformed statements such as the one you just have.

Go to this website to learn more information about what the Port of Hood River is, what it represents, how it works for the Hood River and surrounding communities, as well as what responsibilities is performs in supporting and enhancing the economic communities in the immediate and surrounding Hood River communities.

www.portofhoodriver.com/

The Port of Hood River is not just an authorative body that's primary role is to play the bad cop.

Being educated on the organizations (be it government, public, non-profit, or federal) will help represent the intelligence of the kite community much better and help strengthen our relationships in the Hood River community and help open doors for long range goals that the kite community may eventually develop.

The organizers of SKA and all the other kiting associations around the country can verify the above comments as legit and valid.

Thanks for your understanding.

Pepi[/url]

www.Purestokesports.com

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostFri Feb 16, 07 12:34 pm     Reply with quote

Port Authority
So where's the port?
I got the authority part.

type fast, pepi, my
mouse is on the X
button.

Portland Pete

Since 08 Mar 2005
145 Posts
HR
Stoked

PostFri Feb 16, 07 1:01 pm    mistaken identity Reply with quote

Pepi

What comments did Hein make ?

Hein is not Yardsale as far as I know

Pete

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostFri Feb 16, 07 1:07 pm    Re: mistaken identity Reply with quote

Portland Pete wrote:
Pepi

What comments did Hein make ?

Hein is not Yardsale as far as I know

Pete

I am wondering the same thing

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostFri Feb 16, 07 1:16 pm     Reply with quote

I think it got deleted.

NateDogg

Since 05 Mar 2005
627 Posts
I caught your mom on
cineaptic.com

PostFri Feb 16, 07 1:25 pm     Reply with quote

hahaha, LETS GET IT ON!

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostFri Feb 16, 07 2:23 pm     Reply with quote

I deleted it Cool

Pepi is right:
I'm not intelligent
I shouldn't bash the Port
and I should do my research....

Port Mission Statement
Quote:
6) Develop industrial or research and development parks and construct and operate facilities (sports, recreation, convention, trade show facilities and water, sewage, power, etc., incidental to the development of a site);

Ok then....

Can I get an R&D slick?

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostFri Feb 16, 07 5:37 pm     Reply with quote

Hey Hein:

Your comments weren't really bad.
It was just that those comments just might have opened up the gates for the peanut gallery to take the discussions down a road that wouldn't have been that constructive.

I'm definitely not perfect, by far, so Hein, I didn't mean to jump on you, just in case my post sounded like that.
Emails and forum postings are sometimes hard to read when determining someones emotions or intents.

I think that with Cory and Jim on board with a group of like-minded windsurf representatives, we are on track to make some good headway with the Port.

BTW - I just got back from walking the sandbar, and it made me really crave getting out on the water soon.

Pepi

www.Purestokesports.com

Yardsale

Since 29 Mar 2005
387 Posts
Portlanastan
Obsessed

PostSun Feb 18, 07 12:21 pm     Reply with quote

Pepi, apparently I should have pie on my face. Hey my point was......Hood River needs to get something done as far as the waterfront. I've been around a while and have observed alot and heard alot so my opinion is not without some credibility. Sometimes ya just gotta say what ya feel, I hope most people around here have thick enough skin to understand. Keep up the good work, Stephan Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: