Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Slingshot 2016 SST compared to SS 2012 Rally - Madison, Wi.
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostSun Sep 06, 15 1:33 pm     Reply with quote

Finally got a solid 2 1/2 hour first session on my SST 10M yesterday at Rufus. Everyone else was on 6 & 7's and the beach feedback was saying "it's holey". iKite said it was blowing 28 - 37, gusting to 45+. I rigged my 17x20 bar and knew I was going to be tea-bagging lit. (I'm 195 lbs. Strapped hybrid board) After reading on this post the kite flies small for it's size I figured...."ah fu%$ it....let's see how it performs with some juice to it." Smile
docwild wrote:
I've notices The SST Wave kites fly very rough when overpowered/depowered. So rough I feel vibration in the bar, which I think is the bungee flexing in the bridle. The kite changes position in the window when depowered, which is why they don't go upwind well. I don't notice this with the Rally, even when depowered. Anyone else have similar experiences?

The kite flew perfect. Turns like an 8. No vibration, nothing funky at all, did not flutter once. Ate gusts like a champ. I agree it runs small for it's size considering the wind conditions. It's fast so it brings on apparent wind and board speed quickly but it doesn't slack lines as you're going into warp drive so you're in and out of big smooth rollers and basically have the throttle on tap whenever you want it. It was easy. If my timing was off, slight bar input and you're gone. When boosting the quicker reaction lets you "play" with your landings like my RPM's but it's holding you longer and smoother like a Rally. My knees are thankful. Probably what surprised me the most was even though it constantly pulls there is minimal bar pressure. (I rigged 2nd attachment point from bottom) I was riding with one hand most of the time, but always felt in control. Upwind ability felt very good but with the conditions you could park it on the edge of the window and go straight upwind so still need more time with the kite in smaller conditions. I laughed out loud the entire session at how clean it flew and the range it was giving. It even reminded me of a Fuel at times so it's definitely a different mix of Slingshot DNA worthy of a demo.

My 2 cents is Bob's initial posting feedback is spot on and while every brand has some amazing kites in their line-up, for my riding preference (strapped, lit, fast, boosting) it seems like a good fit. Although what rider doesn't like instant response? Smile I'm just thankful I did not sell my mint RPM's in vain to acquire.

Lurk

Since 04 Apr 2009
355 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Sep 06, 15 5:06 pm     Reply with quote

Nice review Sella, and I totally agree with your assessment. I felt the same way the first time I flew the 10m.

ulx

Since 21 Nov 2008
16 Posts

PostMon Sep 07, 15 4:06 am     Reply with quote

toddjb wrote:
... My rational was that I think nothing beats an RPM in small sizes ...

The SST 6m might. I tried mine yesterday for the first time in around 30 knots with a Celeritas and it was sooo great! I really like my 10 and 8m SST a lot. And I liked my rpm 6m a lot. But I think the 6m SST is just amazing! I only ride strapless surfboards (and a foil). It turns soo smoothly. It has such a great ability to dump the power if you want to. It is so easy to handle. It turns on a dime but is never unpredictable. One of the greatest kites I rode, ever.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1806 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostMon Sep 07, 15 7:39 am     Reply with quote

^^^
That. The 6 is really something special. I enjoy the 8/10 also, but the 6....

Eric

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Sep 07, 15 7:53 am     Reply with quote

+1 rode the 6 for a couple of hours and when I got off the water I thought, have I been riding this kite for a couple of hours or a couple of years? fits so well, so predictable, it is always right where you want it, even depowered one handed. sweet kite...

zipperline

Since 02 Aug 2005
66 Posts
Hood River

PostMon Sep 07, 15 8:25 am     Reply with quote

No doubt the 6 SST is money. Better than the RPM. The 8 is also a great kite at the coast and the Gorge. If you are looking for high wind kites for the PNW do anything you can to ride one. Be prepared to buy them right after you get off the water.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: