Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Snow kite Mount St. Helens

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
splaterwin

Since 17 Nov 2005
165 Posts
Vancouver
Stoked

PostWed Dec 27, 06 9:31 pm    Snow kite Mount St. Helens Reply with quote

Thursday & Friday could be good snow kite days on St Helens. Friday looking best with forecast winds SE 15 to 25. I don't have a snowmobile but I have snow shoed up from Marble Mountain using trail 244. It's 1.5 miles before you’re above tree line and maybe another .5 to 1 mile to what looks like a good kite location. I've been up to tree line area twice, first time no wind second time in pretty much a whiteout. I have yet to kite this location but still looking to try again. Heading to Hood to do some downhill on Thursday and thinking St. Helens on Friday. My son would head up with me on Friday but he has to work so I’m looking for another person or two. Let me know if interested and maybe we can link up.

-pat

Resize of DSC04602.JPG 
   Resize of DSC04604.JPG 

kt

Since 16 Mar 2005
759 Posts
Portland, Or
Opinionated

PostThu Dec 28, 06 1:43 pm     Reply with quote

hey pat,

i would love to hook up with you sometime but, i work this friday. any weekends you go up, send me a PM and i will try and coordinate with you.

thanks
kt

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostThu Dec 28, 06 2:01 pm     Reply with quote

Is that the trail that goes up to worm flow? I kited up there a couple weeks ago, and there really isn't that much room. Plains of Abraham is the spot, but its way more of a slog.

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostThu Dec 28, 06 6:07 pm     Reply with quote

bring a twelver and 20 cash for gas and any throttle jockey in the lot will probably tow you in as far as you want, be prepared to walk out though and don't tell them which cars yours and leave no valueables behind.. I was towed out of crater lake yesterday hooked my kitelines to a 700cc combustion special and towed out like 7 miles. Talk about a leg burner, 3 feet of lite powder,untouched, probed 8 feet in spots next to the crater. miles of fresh turns to be had. The conditions on helen should be awesome as long as theres wind.

splaterwin

Since 17 Nov 2005
165 Posts
Vancouver
Stoked

PostThu Dec 28, 06 7:58 pm     Reply with quote

Strong wind on Mt Hood today. Ski bowl shut down upper lift because of gusting wind > 50 mph. Snow conditions were very good! Traffic on Hwy 26 very bad!

Don't know location of worm flow? Swift Ski Trail #244 starts at Marble Mountain snow park by the warming hut. Head due north from hut across parking lot. Access starts on West Fork snowmobile trail but quickly branches off to Swift Ski Trail 244. Trail is pretty well marked until you breakout of trees. I've heard the Lahar (Lava Canyon Viewpoint?) is the place to go, that must be close to Plains of Abraham. Little to far for me to do on snow shoes.

I like Registered idea, but that hike back may be a bit much!

You guys that got back to me thanks! I will try to hook up with you next weekend that looks doable.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostFri Dec 29, 06 1:12 am     Reply with quote

Meadows wasn't that bad tonight (wind wise) tonight, just cold as shit. Probably ~10-15kts at most, and 15 degrees! Surprised

luke

Since 06 Jul 2005
399 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Dec 29, 06 7:25 am     Reply with quote

I was thinking of heading to St. H today. Give me a call so we can rally. Yesterday afternoon was great. Smooth winds good snow.

541 490-6221

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: