Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Any Kiteboarders/Windsurfers in City of St. Helens, OR?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
mylogan

Since 31 Jul 2014
5 Posts
United States
Kook

PostThu Jul 31, 14 12:13 pm    Any Kiteboarders/Windsurfers in City of St. Helens, OR? Reply with quote

Has anyone ever gone to St. Helens, OR for wind and waves? If not, why not? Have you heard of anyone going there. It's only 30 minutes from Portland and its always looked like good wind and waves there, and they've got that great sand-island with the good sandbar there...

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jul 31, 14 7:35 pm     Reply with quote

Sort-of... We kite in Columbia city (2miles west of st helens proper) but the launch is definitely expert only. Lots of beach people, very little room, with a wind shadow AND a house on pillars that sits above the area where u must launch. Not good and can be freightening at times. Landing isnt a piece of cake either. Not much room, beach goers and the wind is crappy near the launch.

There is often a small sandbar just above sand island that requires a motorized water vehicle to reach. Launches there are easy.

You could try to launch from sand island in St helens....not too sure about it though. Some of the other peeps who kite here may know more.

Yes, it is windy often. Blows in the mornings most summer days but once the tide switches, watch out.

Amy

Rico

Since 13 Mar 2005
1219 Posts
Vancouver
Photographer

PostFri Aug 01, 14 8:59 am     Reply with quote

We kite right across from Sand Island on the WA. side. If you find a launch on the OR side upwind of Sand Island you should be good to go. Although if you are in portland Sauvies is closer.

278958_4506401902411_2036093713_o by HenryRico.com, on Flickr

340647_507734939254351_2032055054_o by HenryRico.com, on Flickr

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostMon Aug 04, 14 7:50 am     Reply with quote

pollywog wrote:
Sort-of... We kite in Columbia city (2miles west of st helens proper) but the launch is definitely expert only. Lots of beach people, very little room, with a wind shadow AND a house on pillars that sits above the area where u must launch. Not good and can be freightening at times. Landing isnt a piece of cake either. Not much room, beach goers and the wind is crappy near the launch.

Amy

Is Pixie Park the launch in CC? Took a look Saturday on way past. I know people sometimes self launch there - what method have you found works best?

I used to kite quite often from the launch on the Woodland site almost immediately opposite but now i've moved to North Portland CC is much closer.

thanks - Paul

KCM

Since 30 Jun 2013
53 Posts
Woodland WA.

PostFri Aug 08, 14 8:40 am     Reply with quote

Rico,
Do you live in Woodland? Do you Kite across from Sand Island a lot?
(I live in Woodland and would like to find some locals to Kite with)
Thanks,
Kevin

Spider Monkey

Since 15 Jul 2007
36 Posts
Columbia City

PostFri Aug 08, 14 1:10 pm     Reply with quote

Mylogan, I have been kiteboarding in Columbia City/St. Helens for 6 years or so now. Kiteboarding from the Oregon side/Sand Island is extremely dangerous for the following reasons:
1. The ship channel is 20' off the beach in Columbia City.
2. There is no beach on the Oregon side to launch a kite, kiters must drift launch around a bunch of beach goers.
3. There is no where to launch a kite in St. Helens, other than Sand Island and you need a boat to get there. If you have a boat, there's a million better places to go.
4. The wind normally blows NW which is slightly offshore making it very difficult to get back to the Oregon side and the wind is almost always gusty or none existent near the Oregon side.
5. I know you've seen us kiting around the docks in St. Helens but that too is obviously dangerous as well. Kiting around fixed objects is a big no-no, discussed several times on this website, and the wind there is terrible. The only reason we kite there is to show off and normally the wind sucks and we look kind of stupid. The wind and tides have to be just right to kite between Sand Island and St. Helens.

The local Columbia City kiteboarders make this spot (PIXIE PARK) work because it's close to home and we have too. You might drive by and see one kiter out on the water and think he's all alone but there are several other kiteboarders in the city watching him. If I get in trouble, someone always makes a call to someone with a boat and I'm normally rescued before I have time to swim back. There's a great group of a half dozen kiters in Columbia City and we have to really watch each other's backs due to the hazards I listed. And we, like most kiters, are very friendly and really enjoy meeting new kiters. But I get nervous when we see people showing up because of what we've seen in the past. People crashing into homes or getting drug across the beach toward other beach goers. This is an advanced spot, please just ask one of us for some pointers on the area. If the wind is good, almost always one of us will be out there. I don't want to get the only spot to launch from closed, I'm almost certain it would be if the city knew how dangerous it is.

The Washington side has several good beaches to launch a kite. The wind often blows side on shore making getting back a breeze and the ship channel is on the other side of the river. The buddy system is a must, at the very least it's nice to have someone around to grab your board if you loose it.

Also Mylogan, it's my understanding you are with the City of St. Helens tourism department and trying to promote the Wind and Water Event Labor Day weekend. I think this is great! I think a shuttle to Sand Island and having boat support is a must for this event to work. I may be able to help with this. People could launch from the Woodland side, but launching from the Woodland side would defeat the purpose of promoting St. Helens tourism. Anyhow, it's also pretty unlikely it will be windy enough that particular weekend but if it is I'm sure the 6 or of us Columbia City kiteboarders will show up.

A few of us kiters are currently working with Columbia City to make a legitimate kite launch and landing spot. This is expensive and time consuming but any help would be more than appreciated. One of the better spots to launch from Trestle Beach, owned by the Port of St. Helens, now has a No Trespassing sign at the entrance. It would be great if we could get more support from Columbia County and the cities to develop kite friendly parks.

Anyhow, thanks for reading my long post, hope to see some of you out on the water soon.

St. Helens.JPG 

KCM

Since 30 Jun 2013
53 Posts
Woodland WA.

PostSat Aug 09, 14 9:57 am     Reply with quote

Great post Spider!
The boys from CC are definitely in the know and also a very friendly and accommodating group. Again, great post, full of great info!

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostSat Aug 09, 14 11:30 am     Reply with quote

This image show the wind line today at pixie park. The wind is great off shore about 100 yards but it back eddies with wind shadow. Pretty messy launches sometimes. but launching from the beach on the washington side is easy as pie today as it is most summer days.

PicsArt_1407612306719.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  PicsArt_1407612306719.jpg
 Filesize:  1009.83 KB
 Downloaded:  357 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostSun Aug 10, 14 7:57 am     Reply with quote

FYI it's rippin today. don't trust the sensors. 6_8 meter wind and tide is good til 2:30pm

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Aug 10, 14 5:38 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah, it was good until 4 and kept blowing until 5ish! One person, occupied columbia, kited from about 11 to 4! He's the real deal... Tomorrow will probably produce more too.

mylogan

Since 31 Jul 2014
5 Posts
United States
Kook

PostTue Aug 12, 14 4:49 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies, everyone!

Here's the current update:

Looking for 5-10 windsurfers or kiteboarders to be sponsored to participate in the Wind and Waves Festival on Labor Day weekend. Here's what you get:

1) NEW SPONSOR: Crater Lake Vodka will give you a Hoodie to wear at the event (value $22) and a Bottle of Vodka to take home. Not a bad deal for showing up and riding.
2) Your gas money, comp'd
3) Restaurant Vouchers
4) The City of St. Helens will charter a boat to Sand Island and back.
5) You get announced on the PA.

Send me a PM if you're interested. I need nothing more than your commitment to showing up and riding (if the weather permits!)

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostWed Aug 13, 14 11:47 am    pm sent Reply with quote

The shuttle will make the difference.

Rico

Since 13 Mar 2005
1219 Posts
Vancouver
Photographer

PostMon Aug 18, 14 8:21 am     Reply with quote

Web Cam

http://www.wunderground.com/webcams/billalison/1/show.html

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostMon Aug 18, 14 9:12 am     Reply with quote

Cool... didn't know that camera was there.
Best spot for Kite boarding on sand island is just to the left of that camera view... the north tip of sand island has some flat water and the west side has good launching areas.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: