Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

consensus of link sizing vs fuel, plus 5 line vs bridled

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
endoshred

Since 22 May 2006
232 Posts
HR
Stoked

PostThu Dec 14, 06 8:48 pm    consensus of link sizing vs fuel, plus 5 line vs bridled Reply with quote

anyone know what size fuel the 7m link compares to?
also what is the consensus so far for the link going 5 vs 4 line?

shymac

Since 20 Jul 2005
919 Posts
Home Valley, Wa.
Bigfoot

PostFri Dec 15, 06 10:04 am     Reply with quote

Sales pitch...

The Link is the best in class hybrid style kite that offers incredible stability, range and instantaneous de-power without sacrificing any of the top-end response and feel characteristics more advance riders demand.

My thoughts...

The 7 Link compares to a Fuel 9 in low end but with the extra high end and depower of a Fuel 5. Links are package with the new powerstroke bar which gives you tons of throw that adds to the range of the kite and aids in complete depower.

Ride the Link 4 line bridled for simplicity, most de-power and bow style performance.
Ride the Link 5 line for 5th line safety, 5th line re-launch, and traditional C performance.

The Link has been issued a new 4 line bridle coded named "RED BRIDLE" which will replace all older black bridles. There was to many bugs in the older black bridle so anyone owning a Link will have there 4 line black bridle replace for free. You can contact me at schey@sskites.com to get yours. FYI we are all out of stock but there will be a shipment in mid January so I will be taking names and shipping address to ship out as they arrive.

We have had great 3rd party reviews regarding the new 4 line RED BRIDLE. Wink

The new RED BRIDLE will aid in added Stabililty "no jelly fishing", added preformance "low and High end", and will aid in relanching your link with ease.

If you have any questions regarding the Link please feel free to e-mail or call anytime Monday thru Friday 8-5. Or post your questions here and I will respond to them the best I can.

509 427 4950 x28 - schey@sskiteboarding.com

Thanks

Red Bridle Package
 Red Bridle Package  Red Bridle.jpg 

endoshred

Since 22 May 2006
232 Posts
HR
Stoked

PostFri Dec 15, 06 7:41 pm     Reply with quote

right now i have 13m and 9m 2006 fuels and a new 7m link. do you think the 7 link could replace the 9 fuel if i wanted to take just 2 kites to ventana? does the 7 link have the same low end to the 9 fuel? last year i took the 13 and 9 and loved it. never was wanting smaller. now with the new 07 bar, it seems the range of the 9 fuel will increase with the moveable stopper ball. i actually thought of taking two kites, my 127 misfit and a new 07 sx 137 to try to cover all conditions

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostFri Dec 15, 06 10:28 pm     Reply with quote

idk the way the link flies you could deffinitly ride in the same wind as the fuel but you wont have as consistant power. where i really love my links is when the wind gets strong and gusty because of they have great handling through weird winds, and the depower on tap is really nice for the gusts. if i were you i think i would stick to the 9 if it was perfect last year, the 7 will be sick though when it really gets windy in the gorge.

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostMon Dec 18, 06 4:34 pm    fuel and link Reply with quote

another question:

I currently have a 7 -11- 15 fuel quiver and am thinking of replacing my 15 with a 15 LINK.

Will the gap between a 15 link and a 11 fuel to big?

Does the 15 link have a greater low end than a 15 fuel?

shymac

Since 20 Jul 2005
919 Posts
Home Valley, Wa.
Bigfoot

PostTue Dec 19, 06 2:31 pm     Reply with quote

You could make it work. But that is a pretty large gap between a 11 and 15 to fill in which a nice 13M 07 fuel would fit nicely.

But here are my two bits.

For High end use the 15M Link in 5 line mode and for better low end comparable to a FUEL 17M use it 4 line "Red Bridle".

Combine it with a Glide or any larger board and you will have a good light wind setup. Wink

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostTue Dec 19, 06 4:44 pm    7-11-15 Reply with quote

7-11-15 '06 Fuels is what I have too (also took them to Ventana and used the 15 once or twice and the 11 was really all I used). I love the splits and was considering a 13 too while I was shopping. I'm soooo glad I didn't. The '06 Fuels have tremendous range. I have never wanted a 9 or a 13. The 7 is not a great kite IMO; not bad but not great - that is another story tho. I agree w/Shymac that you could get away with at 15 or so with a Glide or surfboard. I'm 170 though too and being light matters. If I keep my '06 Fuels this year, I'm definitely getting rid of the 7 and getting a hybrid for my high wind kite. I also have a 20.5 Machine so I'm never stuck!!!! LOL Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil YABBA DABBA DOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil BIG KITES RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...anyway got a great sesh in the Lagoons today - 11m was perfect! Wish y'all were there, seriously. Smile This guy made it and he's been there a few days seems a little roughed up from the storm.

sealion-061219.jpg 

shymac

Since 20 Jul 2005
919 Posts
Home Valley, Wa.
Bigfoot

PostTue Dec 19, 06 4:56 pm     Reply with quote

Barefly

If you get a chance try to demo the 07 7M Fuel and 07 7M Link. Both killer high wind kites.

They might blow your mind. Shocked

Like it did mine...! Twisted Evil
3mile + 30-35KNots + BUS swells = good sleep.

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostTue Dec 19, 06 5:05 pm     Reply with quote

interesting, have the 06 7m fuel and love it. its my favorite kite for the gorge by far. way more range than my 11m.

I am thinking of the 15m Link VS the 15m fuel mostly to increase my low end and kite speed when the wind is lite....at the coast.

i have a SRT that i use and only weigh 145 so i am looking to get on the water when its blowing 10-12 and still clean.

I think i will have to get on a 15 link and ride one myself. i havent yet.

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostSat Dec 30, 06 5:54 am     Reply with quote

Yah, Barfly’s got it right for kite and board size in La Ventana. Just take a big board or kite if you don’t want to get skunked on the light wind days. Advice on LINK wind range sounds about right as well.

As for the LINK, I had the opportunity to test ride the 9m & 12m in a variety of high and gusty wind conditions in Maui a couple weeks ago (I’m 210 lbs on a 137cm SX). I rode each kite 6-7 times. Both kites were set up on four-line mode with the updated “code-red” bridles.

I was really impressed with the LINK! The kite has a very large wind range (good low end and high end on both kites). Kites were extremely stable in gusty and variable wind conditions. Has moderate bar pressure, which was perfect for me. Less pressure than ‘C’ kites, but a little bit more than the than SLEs with pulleys on the bar.

Jumping was excellent. Take off was more vertical than traditional SLEs (more like ‘C’ kite) without losing the long glide path SLEs are know for.

Overall thumbs up for me and my wife! Great kite!! Thanks to Amery for the Demo. I just ordered 7m and 10.5m LINKs.

Waiting to fly the ’07 Fuel to decide what to do with my bigger kites. ~Dano Cool

PS Barfly did you forget about the 20.5m day in LV?? Wink

12m LINK
 12m LINK  D.surfin.2.JPG 
20.5m Machine & Banana Board
 20.5m Machine & Banana Board  20.5 & TC.JPG 

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostSat Dec 30, 06 8:33 am     Reply with quote

Onad Rednaxela wrote:
did you forget about the 20.5m day in LV?? Wink

Hell no. That things a skunk killer! Neva leave home w/o. Closer to the local launches, I have admittedly used it less while opting for a surfboard and a 15m but as Slither argues, a big board maybe gets you an extra meter or 2 only.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: