Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Tilmann sets new record speed: 46.58 knots (max 50.8!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Dec 11, 06 4:47 pm    Tilmann sets new record speed: 46.58 knots (max 50.8!) Reply with quote

December 7th 2006 Tilmann Heinig does 46.58 knots over 500m, 49.6 over 100m, 50.8 knots for 2 seconds!

http://50knots.xs4all.nl/gps-kitesurfing/gps.asp?mnu=user&val=52&uid=4

Quote:
What a smooth ride –what a great feeling !
When I arrived in Westerhever in the morning I immediately hurried into the public toilet where I had forgotten my contact lenses two days before. They were still there ! In that moment I knew, Westerhever loves me and this will be a good day.
I was much too early – no water at all. But the wind was good, steady 7 Beaufort with gusts of 40 knots or a bit more. The steady light rain was a good sign for steady wind. A little bit cold, 7 degrees, but still ok.
When the water came it was too narrow for longer runs but here I already reached 46 knots
which showed me that my new board was a good one.
It was almost two hours cruising and waiting for the water. The water came much later than two days before. But suddenly it was perfect: A glassy layer of ankle deep fluid covered the dead flat beach – liquid ice. GO ! Suddenly I saw grass looking through the water surface. But the run was too good to interrupt it. So I burst through that part and tremendous gusts accelerated me more and more. A really great feeling ! At the end I looked at the display:
50.8 knots ! I screamed at least five minutes long for what other people would immediately have been put into mental home.
After I had calmed down I made some more runs to increase my average and then I thought: Better dont ride 100 km/h because nobody would believe itJ
So I stopped the session for the day.
I think the main reason for my huge increase in speed is my new halfmoon board. Its stiffer and 5 cm wider than the old one ( for you don’t have control problems in dead flat water) and it has a halfmoon outline. That means the toe side is round like a waveboard and the heelside almost straight. Its because on full speed you hardly edge your board. So its more like a windsurfboard where you need a clean outline without corners and cut outs. The board lays stable in the water and is the most comfortable to ride ever. And it’s the first board which is really looking good in my eyes.
tilmann

Its unofficial but still big news for the sport, someday maybe we'll be holding 50 knots over 500m, which no other wind powered water craft can do.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Dec 11, 06 4:59 pm     Reply with quote

Another way to put this in perspective (look at the top 10):

http://www.gps-speedsurfing.com/gps.asp?mnu=news

http://50knots.xs4all.nl/gps-kitesurfing/gps.asp

Very Happy

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Dec 11, 06 5:02 pm     Reply with quote

Official records:

http://www.sailspeedrecords.com/500.html

So he is still 2 knots off the outright speed record for any wind powered craft... but that ain't bad considering how our sport is still pretty much an infant compared to windsurfing or sailing.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostMon Dec 11, 06 6:27 pm     Reply with quote

46.6 = 53.6 mph

peaked at over 58mph - that dude was speeding.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Dec 11, 06 9:37 pm     Reply with quote

yeah almost 60 mph in ankle deep water.... nuts!

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostMon Dec 11, 06 10:00 pm     Reply with quote

all he needs now is some spicy mexican food to give him that extra methane afterburner.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: