Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

kiteboard/Wakeboard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
nesterg

Since 10 Sep 2006
23 Posts

PostSat Dec 09, 06 9:42 pm    kiteboard/Wakeboard Reply with quote

Why is it that kiteboards are much more expensive than wakeboards? I'm quessing it is just supply and demand but I was wondering, anyone have experience kiting on a wakeboard? Is there some reason why that is just a bad idea?

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Dec 10, 06 12:38 am     Reply with quote

Too much rocker is usually the problem with using wakeboards as kiteboards. Liquid Force makes both wakeboards and some similarly priced kiteboards. The Liquid Force kiteboards are a little heavier than most other boards, which maybe is a side affect of the wakeboard like construction.

wakeup

Since 11 Sep 2005
328 Posts
always
Obsessed

PostSun Dec 10, 06 10:53 am     Reply with quote

i use my wakeboard when i hit kickers and sliders--mainly because it has molded fins so i don't have to worry about breaking them. i like the feel of it too. feels more like a snowboard

it works, but with style of rocker (aggressive 3 stage) and the amount of rocker(3 1/4") the 'sweet spot' in the board is greatly reduced(you ride it with your weight more centered than back) making it more difficult to ride with a kite than a standard kiteboard which is usually a continuous rocker curve with anywhere from an inch to 2 1/2" inches.

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostMon Dec 11, 06 1:07 pm    Liquid Force boards.. Reply with quote

I started kiting on my wakeboards. Being form the Midwest thats all I had laying around when I started and didn't want to throw up the cash for a "kiteboard". Had a 132 Liquid Force Super Squirt that I used to start. Def. different rocker from the kiteboards, but coming from a wakeboard background I was so comfortable on it, especially downwind.....the main draw-back would be edging when driving upwind. you just have to work a little harder, but to be honest, I learned to ride upwind with a modified wakeboard. A 136 Liquid Force Super Squirt with 4-SS fins I drilled in...but now with all wakeboards haveing 4 fins, no need to drill. Now, I am on LF kiteboards and SS. I actually have a 120 MLF LF kiteboard and it is basically the same as the super squirts....triple-concave bottom, and huge deep rails.... So, not too sure on the price, but the construction is def. way close....

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostMon Dec 11, 06 1:07 pm     Reply with quote

Actually, look at the board in my pic....you can see the aggresive rocker...!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: