Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Lessons in the ponds/ shallows.....
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
mitchl3000

Since 19 Jul 2010
67 Posts

PostSun May 25, 14 6:04 pm    Lessons in the ponds/ shallows..... Reply with quote

I hate to be the one to bring it up, but its getting ridiculous! Every time I kite the ponds in Hood here is a lesson or 6 happening in the shallows. First of all its a Terrible place to teach because of the dangers... Rocks( tons on em) stumps, logs, inch deep water. Not to mention it doesn't prepare you for what youll encounter once you leave the shallows... The water ain't that smooth out in the channel. I saw a girl get a lesson kite slammed on her head as she rode by and I almost got nailed a few times. Plus you lessons take up a lot of PRIME realestate in he best flattest sections. I think,like it was when I learned, lessons should always take place upwind of the sandbar and shredders ride downwind of the sandbar. Who's down to put up some signs?? No lessons in the ponds!!!

lloyd

Since 16 Aug 2007
108 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostSun May 25, 14 7:26 pm     Reply with quote

There are lots of angles to look at this from.

1. The shallows area is only around early season and late season. During the Summer when the water level drops, there are no shallows and thus no problem with too many people in the pool. The problem also only exists from May to August on windy days during the weekend when the crowds are here. In reality, it's not too many days in the Calendar year when this is even an issue.

2. To expect anything other than complete chaos and insanity during holiday weekends, ie. Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, is having unrealistic expectations.

3. You as the better rider, despite right of way rules, have the responsibility to stay out of the way of beginner riders and to give them the space they need, even at your own expense of missing out on some prime real estate or the perfect wave. Give respect to get respect.

4. You can't expect people to not do lessons in the shallows. Everyone has the same rights to be out there regardless of ability. If where you're at is too crowded, then go some place else. Rather than spread hate, move on and leave people alone. You were a beginner once and people stayed out of your way and allowed you to learn. Now it's your turn to pay it back.

5. Oregon water rights basically says, " first come, first serve." If a fisherman is there before you, he wins. If a kid playing is there before you, he wins. If a boat is anchored there, he wins. If some one is doing lessons before you get there, they win. If they're there first, stay out of their way.

My suggestion is to quit complaining about the stuff that can not be changed. Weekends are busy. They always will be. You can't change that. You can however change how you react to the situation. Expect for it to be busy, expect for there to be people everywhere, expect for kites to come crashing to the ground and plan for it. If you don't like the crowds, then go some place else or kite during the week when there are fewer people around. Take responsibility for yourself and quit blaming the less experienced kiters.

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostSun May 25, 14 7:36 pm     Reply with quote

maybe stay away from the event site during one of the busiest weekends of the year. you gots to be shittin me that the only place you could find to kite when you knew everyone and their grandmamma would be out there. Who is the beginner here???

mitchl3000

Since 19 Jul 2010
67 Posts

PostSun May 25, 14 7:48 pm     Reply with quote

Dude people are gonna get fucked up on some rocks. You instructors teaching beginners that its ok to kite in ankle deep water surrounded by rocks are teaching your students to be idiots! Don't kite he shallows till your good and ready te best place to learn is upwind of the sandbar in waist to neck deep water.

mxwllms

Since 26 Jul 2006
110 Posts
Boring, Or
Stoked

PostSun May 25, 14 7:59 pm     Reply with quote

It sounds like you are calling it unsafe just to get your way. pretty sad. This has been going on for years and hasnt changed. Its up to the instructors judgement if the ponds are a safe option for the student and its not your place to tell them they should leave because you feel it to be a bad idea (or you just want the spot)... go kite in one of the half dozen other great flatwater spots in the gorge instead of complaining

mitchl3000

Since 19 Jul 2010
67 Posts

PostSun May 25, 14 8:30 pm     Reply with quote

I'm not trying to be a dick and I really don't care all that much, but does anyone that responded actually kite the ponds a lot? I'm curious to here from the regulars

mxwllms

Since 26 Jul 2006
110 Posts
Boring, Or
Stoked

PostSun May 25, 14 8:52 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah I've been kiting at the sandbar 3 to 5 days a week for years up until this year and it has always been a battle for the ponds when they are there on busy weekends. It can be frustrating but it's everyone's water and it's a bad idea to fight with the schools. We know how to ride and we can go anywhere. If you are REALLY concerned for the safety of students you should talk with them while it's happening. Don't go straight to the forum and think we are going to sign a petition and post signs saying that they aren't welcome in the area due to inexperience Wink
Added: Even tho this subject has been beaten to death over the years, It's still fun to argue over haha. Show up early and take the ponds for yourself if you really want to kite there

C.Lee

Since 02 Apr 2012
44 Posts
Southern Idaho/The Gorge

PostSun May 25, 14 9:22 pm     Reply with quote

Mxwllms wrote:
It sounds like you are calling it unsafe just to get your way. pretty sad. This has been going on for years and hasnt changed. Its up to the instructors judgement if the ponds are a safe option for the student and its not your place to tell them they should leave because you feel it to be a bad idea (or you just want the spot)... go kite in one of the half dozen other great flatwater spots in the gorge instead of complaining

Where are these other spots? Until the features are set up right I'm down to go anywhere.

mxwllms

Since 26 Jul 2006
110 Posts
Boring, Or
Stoked

PostSun May 25, 14 9:57 pm     Reply with quote

sorry buds! its too secret i guess
Last edited by mxwllms on Tue May 27, 14 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sol-flyer

Since 21 Mar 2006
1280 Posts
Dude, where's my Bus?
Otto Mann

PostMon May 26, 14 8:14 am     Reply with quote

The way I see it, there is a lot of riding area downwind of the sandbar that is flat and fun. If your gonna complain because someone is learning where they can touch, easily recover, and not get swept away by current, then why not show all the schools who have successfully taught on the sandbar for over a decade how its done?

Not to be rude, But how hard is it to stay away from people learning and go ride downwind? Can you not kite down by the sliders or even further down by the marina? Maybe find flat water and not need to be so dependant on hugging the sandbar (where there is rocks, wood debris, respect other kiters etc.)

Again, Not trying to be rude but give the schools and instructors a break. Go kite downwind or at least away from someone who obviously needs some extra space. Or if you are a local...come back on a weekday or in the mornings.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostMon May 26, 14 11:35 am     Reply with quote

Matt and Lloyd make some very clear and accurate points on this subject.

The sandbar is DSL (Dept of State Lands)Property, so it is first come first serve (ever look at the Gorge Cam to see some of the crack-o-dawn hardcores enjoying the kiddie pool the smart way).
The schools should be teaching in safe enough for both a student to feel comfortable, yet not hit bottom.

This is one of the toughest issues we work on each year at the Sandbar (or as some of us call it "The Pigpile") where everyone wants to be seen or have a hard time driving the 15-25min to any of the other 5-7 other kite locations.

I'm one of those "pigpile" contributors, but I know that I cannot win a battle over 40-70 other random beginner to advanced kiters, so I launch and head straight out to another better,happy place to kite whether it be for flat water or for swell, I'll ride downwind to the bridge (sometimes even under it Wink or I'll even crank it upwind to the Tunnels hunting the unicorn waves.

Safety, respect, sharing and most important finding your own personal fun is what kiting is all about in Hood River.

Sol-flyer wrote:
The way I see it, there is a lot of riding area downwind of the sandbar that is flat and fun. If your gonna complain because someone is learning where they can touch, easily recover, and not get swept away by current, then why not show all the schools who have successfully taught on the sandbar for over a decade how its done?

Not to be rude, But how hard is it to stay away from people learning and go ride downwind? Can you not kite down by the sliders or even further down by the marina? Maybe find flat water and not need to be so dependant on hugging the sandbar (where there is rocks, wood debris, respect other kiters etc.)

Again, Not trying to be rude but give the schools and instructors a break. Go kite downwind or at least away from someone who obviously needs some extra space. Or if you are a local...come back on a weekday or in the mornings.

www.Purestokesports.com

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostMon May 26, 14 11:36 am     Reply with quote

Actually, this is wrong. The schools are concessionaires who are granted a license by the Port of Hood River, to operate on land owned by Port of Hood River. The land north of the kite killer is public land, not Port of Hood River land. It's illegal for the Port's concessionaires to block the public's use of public land below the highwater mark. Simple as that. All the school owners know this, and need to make sure their instructors know this. Take your issue to the Port, they'll remember getting investigated by the Department of State Lands, the issue will remedy itself.

Map: http://www.ormap.net/map.cfm?mapID=176300 <- Port owns everything south of G.L.O Meander Line.

Port of Hood River:
Phone: (541) 386-1645
Michael McElwee, Executive Director
porthr@gorge.net

lloyd wrote:
5. Oregon water rights basically says, " first come, first serve." If a fisherman is there before you, he wins. If a kid playing is there before you, he wins. If a boat is anchored there, he wins. If some one is doing lessons before you get there, they win. If they're there first, stay out of their way.

lloyd

Since 16 Aug 2007
108 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostMon May 26, 14 6:35 pm     Reply with quote

I believe this thread to be more about informal lessons going on in the ponds area rather than formal lessons given by kite schools. I was down at the Waterfront with the family over the weekend and saw all kinds of people teaching friends and family members. From my experience, the kite schools operate legitimately and follow the rules set forth for them. Agreed that if you are operating a business you fall under a different set of rules, but I don't believe the kite schools are who we're talking about here.

I stand by my original statements, paraphrasing Oregon's water use rules regarding public areas, when it comes to recreational purposes, who gets there first gets to stay. In my book, informal lessons fall under recreational use and therefore, they get the spot if they're there before you. Just simply respect other people while out on the water and everything will be fine.

Because we're talking about informal lessons and not the formal kite schools, the Port has no jurisdiction and shouldn't even offer an opinion.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2060 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon May 26, 14 8:14 pm     Reply with quote

Dog Patrol wrote:
maybe stay away from the event site during one of the busiest weekends of the year. you gots to be shittin me that the only place you could find to kite when you knew everyone and their grandmamma would be out there. Who is the beginner here???

Ha! I totally agree on this one. Who is the beginner?! Should of headed east.

kenja

Since 19 Jun 2008
179 Posts

Stoked

PostMon May 26, 14 8:22 pm     Reply with quote

I suppose it is all a matter of perspective. Not being a pond skimmer myself, I wish all the noobs would stick to the ponds to make it easier for people like me to get off the bar without navigating through the noob circus. The reality is that noobs are part of the scene for everyone. We all need to come to grips with that. In the end it's healthy for the sport.

mitchl3000

Since 19 Jul 2010
67 Posts

PostTue May 27, 14 12:35 am     Reply with quote

Yeah most of the pond lessons do look unofficial. And yeah there's always gonna be people learning... I'm over it! Lets just shred..

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostTue May 27, 14 9:09 am     Reply with quote

Excellent words to live by.
Drop by the shop anytime if you want any beta on other launches to do some exploring.

mitchl3000 wrote:
Yeah most of the pond lessons do look unofficial. And yeah there's always gonna be people learning... I'm over it! Lets just shred..

www.Purestokesports.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: