Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Saw my 1st shark yesterday. Dw'er sunset 2 seaside
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2062 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Aug 21, 13 10:27 am    Saw my 1st shark yesterday. Dw'er sunset 2 seaside Reply with quote

Ok, I got a late start out to Sunset beach/access yesterday (launched at 4:45pm) and missed riding with my posse--they were 45 minutes ahead of me as I experienced a rats nest w/my lines:-( Waves were really nice/head high at best. Super low tide w/the blue-full moon yesterday. Rigged my 9 meter kite like my two friends. Wind was strong at Sunset but slacked-off a bit about 1 mile into/downwind of the ride, so I choose to sail farther out, past most of the breaking waves. Probably 1/4 to 1/2 mile off shore, maybe more at times. Wind was strongest out there and I didn't have to combat with the wave surge and or currents--tide was ebbing. The water was super chocolatey colored w/a fair about of white sea foam on top. Not many birds out either. No one was in the water the entire downwinder except a few peeps knee high deep in the surf.

Ok, so I'm about 1/4 of a mile off shore where lots of lost crab pots collect and the buoys reside on top of the water (probably 5:45pm now); I'm about 1/3 of a mile North of the Murphy's huge iconic wooden, 1 log, 80' flagpole (yes, they're in the lumber biz) w/the large American flag and Irish flag below, on the North end of Gearhart (between Del Ray and 10th street beach accesses). I cruise out toe-side on my surfboard when I see this thing appear out of the water. It was 20-30 yards in front of me, just SW of me, and when I first saw it I said to myself that it was a 32 gallon glad garbage bag that somehow got caught/lifted up by the wind. Then, it was upright and it became quickly evident to me that it was a shark. A shark had surfaced and was heading out due West over the break of a sand bar. I could tell it was a fish by the classic elegant thrusting/wiggling motion of its body.

I was amazed (other words work here too), quickly turned back to shore into the breaking zone which slowed my speed dramatically. I did not want to slog in the water with aforementioned shark sighting, so I sailed down and past that site, about 100 yards, and then went right back out to sea as the wind was best and strongest out there; it often is with the direction of wind last night (pretty dead-on North).

That was a pretty cool moment for me yesterday--humbling for sure. I've been kiting on the Pacific Ocean primarily now for 8 years here in Oregon and started back in '03. I've seen, gray whales, seals, sea lions, porpoise, sun fish, lots of species of swimming birds, and heard and seen splashes that I couldn't explain, but have never seen a shark before.

So my question for you all today is, if that fin looked like half the size of a 32 gallon glad garbage bag, maybe a bit more, (the coloring looked dark green or black) from 20-30 yards away,
how big does that make the shark I saw? I saw only one fin and no tail fin or secondary dorsal fin. I have no doubt that it was Mr./Mrs. Whitey aka The Landlord.

Back at it again today once the winds come up today. Good winds to you all and go get some!

Sorry for any typo's extra, iPhones suck for long winded posts.

Last edited by Sasquatch on Tue Mar 08, 16 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostWed Aug 21, 13 10:34 am     Reply with quote

Always fun to see a shark. Sorry we missed you-- it was crackin' yesterday!
Was fine for me on the 7m. Had the best day of the season for sure.
Glad to know you're getting it again today! Cheers -Kdog.

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Aug 21, 13 11:23 am     Reply with quote

So, how many sightings are there amoung kiteboarders a year? I'm a complete chicken when it comes to sharks and for that reason have only ridden the coast twice.

I'm impressed that you went back out !! but then I'm a chicken Smile

jschenk

Since 08 Apr 2009
11 Posts

PostWed Aug 21, 13 11:35 am     Reply with quote

Someone had mentioned whale sitings north of you. Don't the killer whales follow the larger whales? Any chance it was a killer? I know there are pods that cruze that stretch this time of year.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2062 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Aug 21, 13 12:21 pm     Reply with quote

jschenk wrote:
Someone had mentioned whale sitings north of you. Don't the killer whales follow the larger whales? Any chance it was a killer? I know there are pods that cruze that stretch this time of year.

There is always a chance, but very doubtful. I've seen tons of killer whales and they hang out in pods and their fins are much bigger. I also didn't notice any spouts of water from their blow holes...

Last edited by Sasquatch on Fri Aug 23, 13 7:07 am; edited 1 time in total

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2062 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Aug 21, 13 12:26 pm     Reply with quote

jerp wrote:
So, how many sightings are there amoung kiteboarders a year? I'm a complete chicken when it comes to sharks and for that reason have only ridden the coast twice.

I'm impressed that you went back out !! but then I'm a chicken Smile

Like all animals, if you exude fear they are going to pickup upon it. Best not to think about sharks as I feel they will sense your nervous energy and that implies "prey" for them--IMHO.

Probably 240 days on the ocean in the last 8 year and no sightings. You do the math. Chances are low. Probably higher in tropical waters.

Last edited by Sasquatch on Fri Aug 23, 13 7:06 am; edited 2 times in total

Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostWed Aug 21, 13 1:40 pm     Reply with quote

Great story, I always wondered if I came across a white what i would do. I live in Bend now but moved from Big island and have come across tigers both under and on top of the water multiple times and I always find it rewarding. I would rather dive with them no doubt, maintain eye contact and you should have no problem. For some reason the white shark to me is a whole different story. I don't know probably due to Jaws. Thanks Spielberg

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostWed Aug 21, 13 1:49 pm     Reply with quote

For me - its the visibility thing. When I am kiting in Hawaii - I don't give sharks a second thought. For some reason, being able to see down into the water eases my mind. Here in Oregon where you can barely see 6 inches into the water, and all you see are shadows and shapes( 99% of the time just light playing tricks) and the mind starts to play tricks also. So for me - it is not the type of shark - it is the visibility issue. And it probably really makes no difference at all. If a shark wants to "investigate" you he will probably angle it so that he can blindside you anyway........

Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostWed Aug 21, 13 3:21 pm     Reply with quote

I hear ya, that has some to do with it but I feel the same in any clarity of water body dragging, get to the board.
This shark tried to sneak up on me a few times but soon as I made eye contact she would change course.

harbor.jpg 

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostWed Aug 21, 13 3:51 pm     Reply with quote

Hot damn, that's a big tiger shark there.

Great whites are scary, mmmmmkay?

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostWed Aug 21, 13 4:37 pm     Reply with quote

That is a big mofo tiger

Yes quatch big fin = big shark

In the age of gopro it only counts if u get the dorsal grab

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Aug 21, 13 8:33 pm     Reply with quote

Cool post. If a fin is 1/2 the size of a 32 gallon bag that makes the shark about 22 feet long. j/k but read below:

This one was estimated at 12-14 feet.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2170451/Kayaker-spots-dorsal-fin-shark-paddles-ocean-near-Cape-Cod.html

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostWed Aug 21, 13 9:56 pm     Reply with quote

My parents live and boat on Cape Cod, right where the sharks are. I used to surf there but its gotten way too sharky over the last couple years. Two years ago I hooked/snagged a 17' GWS while jigging for striped bass a couple miles offshore. I know it was 17' because it came up right next to the boat. Awesome indeed, but I was glad I was in the boat.

Cool story, but I think I would have high tailed it inshore.

Aeolus

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
Gold Beach, OR
OR-SoCo-Aficionado

PostWed Aug 21, 13 10:01 pm     Reply with quote

Very Cool man!

I haven't spotted whitey on a kite yet. In some ways that's fine!

I looked into the eyeball of a gray whale a month ago about 1/2 mile out. Got within 75 ft. Came up out of the blue. I shat myself. So many barnacles on its back you'd be a bloody mess just getting a touch and go.

They tracked a great white from Guadalupe Island around Port Orford a few years back:

http://www.fishtracker.org/fishtracker/Tracks/Entries/2010/12/10_Great_White_Shark_from_Guadalupe_Island.html

Click the adult swimming pattern on this page:
http://www.tiburonblanco.org/adult.html

Lots of cool shark data on that site.

airon^

Since 07 Aug 2013
289 Posts
Durango
Obsessed

PostWed Aug 21, 13 11:45 pm    Nice! Now come the mind games Reply with quote

I'm glad I didn't know about this before my downwinder from Ft Stevens to Shipwreck today. And there was some body dragging/struggling with my downed kite. I guess the clear water and sunshine (it was really nice today) actually helps, they tend to be deeper according to that Guadelupe site. Either way apparently they're coming up sometimes... I was laughing about wearing a zebra striped Volcom UV shirt over my all black Patagucci suit, saying to a fellow kiter it would keep away the sharks but really wearing it so my harness would rotate smoothly. Now I'm thinking I'll do that more often.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostThu Aug 22, 13 11:48 am     Reply with quote

that shot of capt oblivious kayaking with his pet is wicked
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2170451/Kayaker-spots-dorsal-fin-shark-paddles-ocean-near-Cape-Cod.html

I used to kayak fish off the Breakers Reef in Florida - had a large Tiger Shark come check out my Blackfin Tuna dinner that was strapped to my lap - my first thought was do i have a really really big hook (why yes i am completely retarded...)

In twelve years of kiting in OR only seen one big shark - right in front of SimPistol and Aeolus house Thumb's Up

kayak tuna.jpg 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

undertow

Since 15 Feb 2008
371 Posts
BeaversBurg
Obsessed

PostThu Aug 22, 13 1:50 pm     Reply with quote

I saw a great white a couple of years back. On a Downwinder from parking lot A to sunset. Was out past the breakers then turned around about 100 yds in the breakers a great white was biting and slashing around at something, saw the dorsal fin and the white belly. Dosen't look too big, but humbling. Needless to saw I stayed on the outside, and didn't see the shark again.
I also saw some a grey whale out at sunset tue.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: