Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Siletz Bay...beginner friendly?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
ezryder111

Since 24 Dec 2012
131 Posts
SE Portland
Stoked

PostMon Jul 15, 13 8:09 pm    Siletz Bay...beginner friendly? Reply with quote

Information is tough to come by but this spot seems to have potential for us noobs; steady winds off the ocean, no waves and (I'm guessing) a current that's not too strong.

My main concerns are easy launch/landing areas and hopefully enough beach to walk back upwind as I'm still not 100% proficient with that yet.

Any info is appreciated, thanks!

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostMon Jul 15, 13 8:18 pm     Reply with quote

It is fairly beginner friendly. You just need to make sure the tide is not out too far. If the tide is out - there is hardly any water to kite. Most of it is pretty shallow - so that is good for a beginner. There is usually plenty of beach to walk if you have trouble staying upwind. Watch out for the greenish mud - it is super slippery. If you are standing on that mud when you launch your kite - get ready get your first experience "mud kiting." Don't kite too close to Mo's restaurant on a NW wind - the wind gets really flukey. Best place to set up and launch is Josephine Young Memorial Park. If there are lots of boats in the bay - then it is no longer beginner friendly.......

ezryder111

Since 24 Dec 2012
131 Posts
SE Portland
Stoked

PostMon Jul 15, 13 8:29 pm     Reply with quote

Cool, thanks. Might be giving it a try later this week. Hopefully there will be a few others out there.

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostMon Jul 15, 13 8:35 pm     Reply with quote

Have fun! You don't want too many others there. There is normally only room for a few kiters...........

BeerKite

Since 29 Mar 2011
471 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jul 15, 13 9:02 pm     Reply with quote

Bill pretty much nailed it. I only kited there once and the tide was out pretty far. The further upwind you go, the weirder the wind gets. It's a pretty fun spot though.

frindly

Since 12 Aug 2008
21 Posts
Portland

PostWed Jul 17, 13 2:20 pm     Reply with quote

If you can time it when the tide is mostly in, but going against the wind, its one of the best beginner spots i've seen. lots of flat water, super smooth winds, plenty of launching beach and you can go downwind (either direction depending on how its blowing) quite a way and walk back.

Also, generally not to busy.

trailboss

Since 08 Aug 2006
95 Posts
HR

PostWed Jul 17, 13 4:30 pm     Reply with quote

One other warning, when the tide is going out it can rip pretty fast and it's easy to lose a board out to sea.

Reaper356

Since 10 Dec 2006
781 Posts
Salem / LC Oregon
Opinionated

PostWed Jul 17, 13 7:49 pm     Reply with quote

It's ALL about tides at Siletz - if the tide is with the wind don't bother, you're going to be walking at best (swimming at worst).

Bring a helmet - there's a lot of wood in there.

I haven't seen any sharks there, just a ton of fish and seals!!! Smile

If you can time it so you're there when the tide is fully in you get a lot of flatwater!

Good luck!

ezryder111

Since 24 Dec 2012
131 Posts
SE Portland
Stoked

PostFri Jul 19, 13 11:28 am     Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for all the info, lots to consider! Tide should be more favorable after this weekend so I'll make the drive and give it a go next week.

The shark possibility was on my mind too...doesn't lots of fish and seals = sharks? Shocked I'll keep the swimming to a minimum!

Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostFri Jul 19, 13 1:22 pm     Reply with quote

I wouldn't waste your time worrying about sharks. If there are seals about acting normally there probably isn't one around. Anyways, kiting is far more dangerous.

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostFri Jul 19, 13 7:24 pm     Reply with quote

I kite there. When the tide is up, it is a flat water place. In the shallower areas there are water covered rocks. Check out the area first at lower tide. I have see plenty of head plants!

ezryder111

Since 24 Dec 2012
131 Posts
SE Portland
Stoked

PostSat Jul 27, 13 12:11 pm     Reply with quote

Finally got to try Silitz and found that Blazeheliski wasn't kidding about that mud, it is super slippery! Major warning to anyone else who's trying that place for the first time. I slid pretty far and almost had a disaster...no injuries, luckily.

I can see the potential for sure but I'll stick to Jones Beach for now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: