Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

06 Slingshot 17.5 Machine-Lightwind Boards
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostWed Oct 25, 06 6:54 am    06 Slingshot 17.5 Machine-Lightwind Boards Reply with quote

Any thoughts...?
So I'm in the market for a big kite.
I know some guys who fly the machine...They really like those kites. I never flown one before. I was offered an 06 17.5 machine (kite,bag,5th line bar/lines), perfect like new condition and used less than 6 times, for 500 bucks...
Awesome deal - Good deal - Average deal -bad deal - shittty deal...your smoke'n crack don't buy it deal....
Any takes on this...
Is this a good kite or a crappy kite...?
I need some thought before I call the guy back and fork out the casholas.

Thanks everyone...

Last edited by Tony on Thu Oct 26, 06 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostWed Oct 25, 06 7:02 am     Reply with quote

sounds like a good deal I just sold an 05 for $475. It is a good light wind kite but they are huge take for ever to blow up and don't pack down well. I went to a waroo 14 and light wind boards.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostWed Oct 25, 06 10:44 am     Reply with quote

I would go for it. Sounds like a good deal and would make a great Sauvie kite. But it also begs the question, wouldn't your money be better spent buying a pimpin' 9 or 12 meter kite for stevenson, coast, rooster, etc? I'm thinking CB or an 07 waroo.

Then you could buy (or make) a surfboard for sauvie light winds.

Just trying to make it more complicated for ya but I know that old fuel you have can be a mean little bastard in gusty conditions.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Oct 25, 06 10:51 am     Reply with quote

What's your current big kite?

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostWed Oct 25, 06 11:11 am     Reply with quote

Don't you already have an Naish 18m? I don't know- but a 17.5 might not be a whole bunch better. I would side w/monkey boy. Sounds like a fair price though...

Sol-flyer

Since 21 Mar 2006
1280 Posts
Dude, where's my Bus?
Otto Mann

PostWed Oct 25, 06 11:25 am    PISH POSH!!! Reply with quote

what you need is a 28m!,...next to the 19m fuel

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostWed Oct 25, 06 11:59 am     Reply with quote

I don't know, Tony... I'd probably look for something more along the lines of this... 30m Naish.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed Oct 25, 06 12:00 pm     Reply with quote

good lord...what is the wind range of a 30m kite?

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Oct 25, 06 12:07 pm     Reply with quote

FlyinElvis wrote:
good lord...what is the wind range of a 30m kite?

9mph-9.5mph Wink

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostWed Oct 25, 06 12:14 pm     Reply with quote

Finally a Sauvie skunk killer! Laughing

www.naishkites.com

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostWed Oct 25, 06 12:49 pm     Reply with quote

Well currently I got a crap load of bills and a tight budget. And I figure, if I spend anymore than 500 on a kite, my girlfriend will most likely kill me...I'm suppose to already buy heating oil but it's going to have to be put on the back burner for at least another month...Anyways, It's not that cold yet. As you can see, I got my priorities on backwards-oh well...What can I say, kiting is a true addiction...
I have an 18meter naish...Med aspect...Good kite, especially for a beginner...But it turns so so slowwwww Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad ...My level of "holly shit, dude can fly" is getting a little better...I really want a big kite that can respond faster, especially at freak'n Sauvies...
And Yes, I love slingshot kites...Too many reasons...
And I am staying away from the bow kites...Bow kites are slick and practically fly themselves, but I'm not ready to turn to the dark side...
C-Kites baby....

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostWed Oct 25, 06 12:54 pm     Reply with quote

pdxmonkeyboy wrote:
I would go for it. Sounds like a good deal and would make a great Sauvie kite. But it also begs the question, wouldn't your money be better spent buying a pimpin' 9 or 12 meter kite for stevenson, coast, rooster, etc? I'm thinking CB or an 07 waroo.

Then you could buy (or make) a surfboard for sauvie light winds.

Just trying to make it more complicated for ya but I know that old fuel you have can be a mean little bastard in gusty conditions.

PDXMonkey - Dude, last time I was on a Pimp'n 09 CB was at Rowena...Remember, good cause it was your crossbow that almost killed me... Shocked
I never been tea-bagged like that in a while....holy crap batman...If it wasn't for the nice session at Stevenson (after Rowena), I would have been scared shit faced to be out in the water again...

Last edited by Tony on Wed Oct 25, 06 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostWed Oct 25, 06 12:59 pm     Reply with quote

Kataku2k3 wrote:
I don't know, Tony... I'd probably look for something more along the lines of this... 30m Naish.

I don't know Adam, that 30 meter looks huge...That naish is probably being packed around in one of them deer carts with wheels....
As far as big kites, I weigh a wopp'n 190 pounds. I admit, some muscle and some fat...call it what you want, Jenny Craig is gonna help me shedd some weight for next summer...It might kill me but I'm going to take Jasons approach and cut down on the beer...Holy crap, did I just say that... Shocked Shocked ...Well maybe a little less beer...

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Oct 25, 06 1:05 pm     Reply with quote

The Machine turns much faster than the average big kite, but its still a big kite and is going to turn slow.

Go to Home Depot, get some 3/8" baltic birch cut to 149x46cm, get some t-nuts, then go get some old foot straps and pads sitting in the bargin bin at a kite shop.

total cost = $50-$60

now your medium sized kite just became your lightwind kite, and unless its circa 2001 probably turns faster than a 17.5m machine ... plus you'll be on the water going upwind before anyone on a machine and a banana rocker board will.

now you can pay your heating bill and your girlfriend won't kill you. Very Happy

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostWed Oct 25, 06 1:22 pm     Reply with quote

Well, the truth is...the 18m Naish I got is a good kite, but I'm starting to have valve problems. It tends to have slow leaks around the valve-patch. First it was on the main - leading edge bladder - I fixed it and seems to be holding.
But now I'm getting leaks on on the stut-bladders (valves)...Same exact spots....Crap...!
I heard that leaks like these are caused by leaving your kites in your rocket box for a long time, on a very warm day. The longest I left them in there has been 4 hours. Not sure if it's true...Maybe the glue is melting with the heat...
For the most part, these are very slow leaks. I don't mind fixing the leaks but the thought of pumping your kite on a killer day and finding out you might have a leak - makes me stress...
Plus, I'm fly'n it with an '04 23" 4-line bar...That sucks...
The machine I'm getting has been used less than 6 times and comes with a 5th line bar...
I figure, what it boils down to is, "out with the old and in with the new..."

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostWed Oct 25, 06 1:44 pm     Reply with quote

haha Tony... I forgot to put the Wink face at the end... incase you weren't sure if I was jokin' or not! haha.

Anyways, we need to get Onad on here. I know he loves his Machine!

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Oct 25, 06 1:47 pm     Reply with quote

So is that 18m the only kite you have? I guess if Sauvies is your primary destination and you don't have a medium sized kite or you don't have one you like very much, then maybe a big new kite is the ticket.
Last edited by pkh on Wed Oct 25, 06 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: