Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

CGKA - Blackberry Beach BBQ/Kite Party - SAT Oct 6
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4204 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu Oct 04, 12 8:58 pm     Reply with quote

user12464 wrote:
How kiteable is this location for a relative beginner with questionable upwind abilities? Are there any east wind gorge locations that are more forgiving if you get blown downwind?

Rooster, if the wind isn't nuking and you hike upwind before you launch.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1473 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Oct 05, 12 7:14 am     Reply with quote

user12464 wrote:
How kiteable is this location for a relative beginner with questionable upwind abilities? Are there any east wind gorge locations that are more forgiving if you get blown downwind?

Blackberry beach is an advanced launch.
1. It's a small space.
2. If anything happens and you drift downwind - no exit.
3. It's hard to stay upwind in easterlies unless you have good technique.
4. Beach is not user friendly for self landing or launching.

Go to Rooster.

K2

Since 30 Apr 2009
274 Posts
Hood River, OR
Obsessed

PostFri Oct 05, 12 8:41 am     Reply with quote

Last time I kited at this spot there was no more room for cars and people had to turn around. There was barely any room for you to pump up and run out your lines. Are we supposed to park east of the launch and walk down that skinny eroding road? This needs to be addressed for sure because it will become a shit show if people are intending on kiting from the spot during the BBQ/Party. There is room for about 8 cars max if I remember correctly.

I don't think this is a beginner spot either. Easterlies make it really hard to stay upwind in the Gorge. I agree with people saying Rooster is a good spot to learn on an easterly, or the downwinder with friends option.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostFri Oct 05, 12 9:00 am     Reply with quote

Yes, you park east of the beach, no cars will be allowed to drive down the road as it's literally falling apart and cars will accelerate the erosion.

Lots more room now, but obviously it's no Sandbar.

If you kite just upwind of the launch, close to the Oregon shore, there is no current to push you downwind.

K2 wrote:
Last time I kited at this spot there was no more room for cars and people had to turn around. There was barely any room for you to pump up and run out your lines. Are we supposed to park east of the launch and walk down that skinny eroding road? This needs to be addressed for sure because it will become a shit show if people are intending on kiting from the spot during the BBQ/Party. There is room for about 8 cars max if I remember correctly.

I don't think this is a beginner spot either. Easterlies make it really hard to stay upwind in the Gorge. I agree with people saying Rooster is a good spot to learn on an easterly, or the downwinder with friends option.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostFri Oct 05, 12 9:03 am     Reply with quote

BTW, Saturday is "Take a Kid Mountain Biking Day" and NW Trails Alliance is hosting an event right next to the beach, so bring your family and mountain bikes as well!

http://nw-trail.org/event/2012/10/3323

Since 22 May 2008
145 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

CGKA Member

PostFri Oct 05, 12 9:10 am     Reply with quote

The parking area has room for about 30 cars, if parked properly. Beyond that, there's parking for several thousand a few hundred yards away. The walk down the jetty to the launch area is within 200 yards, and it is a very easy walk. It's not a bunch of big boulders to negotiate or anything like that.
As for the launch area itself, there is now plenty of room to set up, lay out lines and launch, and the entire area is covered in finely crushed rock, which will pack pretty firm and stay in place once it gets wet.
Like Stevenson, landing and launching will have to be coordinated and only one person will be able to come/go at a time. A BIG difference with Blackberry Beach is the gentle slope and small rocks going into the water. A kiter can walk out quite a ways on pretty mellow little stones before it's waist deep, which makes for a much safer launch/land than Stevenson. There's also a cove directly downwind, which is added safety zone if a launch doesn't go as planned. Another advantage over Stevenson is the current is much slower on that far side of the river, and a HUGE bonus is that there is a big flatwater section about 1/4 mile upwind from the launch.

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostFri Oct 05, 12 11:35 am     Reply with quote

How does the wind blow there. Is it the same as Stevenson since its close to being just across or is it lighter or more gusty there??

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostFri Oct 05, 12 1:01 pm     Reply with quote

I've landed at Cascade Locks on Easterlies and riding just East of the landing was good. Wind similar to Stevenson with probably a bit less chop. Should be good I imagine at the new launch.

Rollo Tomasi

Since 17 Mar 2005
983 Posts

Attractive

PostSun Oct 07, 12 6:04 am    CGKA Blackberry Beach Event Photos Reply with quote

Good winds - Great Day - People flowed in and out from 10am-dusk
Kite, BBQ, Beer, Music, Demo's

Micah

Adam Lapierre

Last edited by Rollo Tomasi on Tue Oct 09, 12 7:22 am; edited 4 times in total

BeerKite

Since 29 Mar 2011
471 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Oct 07, 12 8:20 am     Reply with quote

Blackberry beach is awesome! The guy in that second pic sure is handsome. I think you got my best side. super cool spot with little ponds around that the family could SUP or play around in, out of the wind. Huge props to the CGKA and all the individuals that made this happen.

And thanks to Rollo for the great pics!

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostSun Oct 07, 12 10:47 am     Reply with quote

Great pics Rollo. Micah's shot is money. So much fun yesterday seeing old friends and meeting new friends with good grub and brews....in October. Blackberry is legit and a ton of fun in a cool setting.

Thanks CGKA staff and a shout out to Adam Lapierre for putting in the time to make the spot a reality. Thumb's Up

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostSun Oct 07, 12 1:39 pm     Reply with quote

Technically we call this launch "Blackberry Beach" because the CGWA and Port of Cascade Locks had already named it this years ago, but I think that via the CGKA we'll always think of this as being "LaPierre Landing" because of all the work that Adam invested via first discovering this opportunity and then having the perseverance to make it a reality via the CGKA Board of Directors.

Thanks Adam!

www.Purestokesports.com

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostSun Oct 07, 12 6:20 pm     Reply with quote

Looks like a wonderful launch on an east wind but how about on a west wind. Any place ro throw a piece of webbing and room for a self launch anchor.? Thanks for all o everyone's work on what looks like a sweet new launch:-)!!

BeerKite

Since 29 Mar 2011
471 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Oct 07, 12 7:52 pm     Reply with quote

Pepi wrote:
Technically we call this launch "Blackberry Beach" because the CGWA and Port of Cascade Locks had already named it this years ago, but I think that via the CGKA we'll always think of this as being "LaPierre Landing" because of all the work that Adam invested via first discovering this opportunity and then having the perseverance to make it a reality via the CGKA Board of Directors.

Thanks Adam!

Alright, so Blackberry beach for the Windsurf crew and LL for the Kite crew. Sounds good. West winds look a little tricky depending on the exact direction. I think there may be plans for future tree removal, which would help a lot but I'm only speculating.

$ociopath

Since 28 Nov 2007
523 Posts
Twilight Zone
Addicted

PostTue Oct 09, 12 5:59 pm     Reply with quote

Damn. First time I read this. Sweet! This just put a geometric gas money cash return on the few years of cgka membership! Thanks cgka! Looks epic.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: