Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Gusty wind + North hybrid kite = Kite Inversion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bandito

Since 07 May 2005
178 Posts

Photographer

PostSat Oct 07, 06 9:24 am    Gusty wind + North hybrid kite = Kite Inversion Reply with quote

I was out a Rufus on Friday afternoon and witnessed Ken Winner experiencing a kite inversion first hand. He was riding the North Hybrid in some gusty conditions when his kite surged forward in a gust and then immediately inverted in the following lull. The kite dropped to the water and then Ken immediately released the kite. No leash, he just let it go. The kite flew downwind a couple hundred yards and landed nose into the wind and just sat in the current in one spot, so Ken jumped in and started swimming after it. About fifty yards into the swim Ken started to turn back and head for shore. At this time the other guy that was out riding the North kites with Ken launched his kite only to have it go into a dozen or more death spirals dragging him off the beach and a couple hundred yards down wind before he activated the fifth line and the kite fell to the water. Both Ken and his friend swam back to shore and recovered both kites. All ended well without any physical injuries, but I'm sure both of them felt the beating their pride took.
Be careful with those North kites, those things look dangerous.
Bandito

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSat Oct 07, 06 10:08 am     Reply with quote

Come on, be nice. Shit happens. Kites invert.

I got yarded at secret spot this year when my Waroo went completely flat in the nuking wind, it recovered and then sent me dragging down the beach.

NateDogg

Since 05 Mar 2005
627 Posts
I caught your mom on
cineaptic.com

PostSat Oct 07, 06 11:19 am     Reply with quote

Quote:

Yeah they do...especially prototypes. Even if the kite looked production, I'm sure if it was in Ken's hands it had some sort of mod.

bamboo

Since 24 Jun 2005
165 Posts
da 'chung; taiwan
Stoked

PostSat Oct 07, 06 4:10 pm     Reply with quote

NateDogg wrote:
Quote:

Yeah they do...especially prototypes. Even if the kite looked production, I'm sure if it was in Ken's hands it had some sort of mod.

and that's why are sport keeps getting better! innovation at its best.

bandito

Since 07 May 2005
178 Posts

Photographer

PostSat Oct 07, 06 4:47 pm     Reply with quote

Just reporting the facts.

bfar

Since 03 Oct 2006
25 Posts
HR

PostSat Oct 07, 06 9:25 pm     Reply with quote

Dude, was it a Rebel or a proto........I had Waroos and talk about inverting. I'm thinking of a Link or Rebel any ideas? Do C's invert? I'm a ROOKIE at the TEABAG stage. Confused Confused Confused

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSat Oct 07, 06 9:54 pm     Reply with quote

ALL FLAT KITES INVERT, THEY ARE FLAT!!!!!!! if you are going to ride flat kites, then at this point, you are going to have to deal with inversions. A fully inflated kite will help prevent inversions so make sure to pump your flat kites up to around 9 psi.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostSat Oct 07, 06 10:07 pm     Reply with quote

you must learn to control the kite grasshopper. 5 line C kites dont do it as often but still every kite can invert. Sounds like if your still in the teabag stage getting some more practice will help the most.

Gorgo

Since 07 Oct 2006
1 Posts

PostSat Oct 07, 06 10:23 pm     Reply with quote

Inept_Fun wrote:
ALL FLAT KITES INVERT, THEY ARE FLAT!!!!!!! if you are going to ride flat kites, then at this point, you are going to have to deal with inversions. A fully inflated kite will help prevent inversions so make sure to pump your flat kites up to around 9 psi.

Sonics don't invert.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Oct 08, 06 6:50 am     Reply with quote

In strong winds all kites invert, including C kites, its just not easy to get them to do it.

When your kiting in 30+ winds you got to be ready for anything.

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostSun Oct 08, 06 6:56 am     Reply with quote

a rebel is not flat, more like c with cut tips. I posted months ago before they were in production that the kite he was flying at the coast inverted several times and sucked him down wind all day. Ken rips, his kites are holding him back. I hope they are some tweeked out protos but he should fly them where he won't get flagged. He used to impress , now like this post, you wonder if they norths even work. sorry ken.

in many years of kiting I have never had a c kite invert in high wind or low. Only flip if a wave molests it before relaunch.

If I was a newb I would buy someused fuels (three) for the price of a new kite c or hypbrid.

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostMon Oct 09, 06 9:55 am     Reply with quote

Also to the teabagger do not sheet all the way out if the back lines go totally slack you are asking for an inversion.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: