Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

New Launch sites in Gorge
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostMon Oct 09, 06 8:06 am     Reply with quote

are the monthly meetings of the cgka mebership meetings or are they board meetings. Email notification of up coming events would be great. I joined a few months ago but have not heard of any events in time to join in.

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostMon Oct 09, 06 9:28 am     Reply with quote

The monthly CGKA meetings are for the board, but as a non-profit our meetings are always open to the public. We always have at least 30 minutes in the begining of the meeting where the floor is open to eveyone. Come on down, we would be stoked get ideas from all of you.

cgw2

Since 12 Oct 2006
18 Posts

PostThu Oct 12, 06 12:39 pm    CGKA & CGWA Reply with quote

CGKA & CGWA worked together recently over a couple of safety issues. I think together we helped to smooth out those issues.

A few years ago CGWA met with a large group of kiteboarders over safety. The kiteboarders at that meeting decided to print some safe sailing ideas and posted them at HR shops. CGWA printed a brochure many years ago that we continue send out today to new members and post at shops. It was so old (the gear had changed) that we had to update one paragraph dealing with self-rescue and paste it on the old brochures.

What I'm pointing out here is safety for all. Both of our groups can work together to improve safe sailing. CGWA is always open to suggestions.

Access - Whenever CGWA works on maintaining and improving access we always take into consideration the needs of other same site users...that includes swimmers, fishermen, kayakers, paragliders and kiteboarders.

Insurance - Just to give you an idea of what CGWA has been up against...
we had to remove a beautiful photo from our website of kiteboarders during a Blowout a few years ago. Our insurance company saw it.

The CGWA boards over the years have discussed the two sports joining together into one organization. The kiting groups have formed and re-formed over the last few years, but I think now are stronger than ever.

In my opinion, two clubs speaking out for improved access or whatever the topic would be stonger than one.

Just found out about this forum today and joined to help maintain good relations with the kiteboarding community. Many of our members are also kiteboarders.

Diane

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostThu Oct 12, 06 3:27 pm     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
Schweet, I'm signed up and paid.

Just post the meeting info here using the CGKA account... then you have meeting minutes + discussion. Very Happy

Word.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostThu Oct 12, 06 3:40 pm     Reply with quote

Hey Diane,
Glad to see that you joined the forum. I personally think its very important for the two groups to get along. In my limited experience of "crashing" popular windsurf spots, the response has been mixed, but for the most part, positive.

It seems to me that people are just people and sometimes they need to be reminded that all these places are public lands and we are all out there because we want to have a good time. If someone wants to dwell on the fact that my kite lines are stretched across the beach for 10 minutes or they have to wait 3 minutes while I launch and land, well, they are just wrecking their own day. They can shoot me all the looks they want but bottom line is, I'm having fun out there and they should be content to be ignored by me.

I do think it is important for boarders to be on their "best behavior" when launching and landing from these sites though. Props to the windsurfers though, you guys have done awesome things to help both sports. I would like to send flowers to whoever spurred all the work you guys accomplished at Roosevelt.
Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: