Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Seattle and Vancouver, BC
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostWed Oct 04, 06 12:48 pm    Seattle and Vancouver, BC Reply with quote

Hey does anyone know what the kiteboarding scene is like in Seattle and/or Vancouver, BC?

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostWed Oct 04, 06 1:01 pm     Reply with quote

There is a link at the top next to Decals, called Seattle. It will link you with Seattle's forum, might find some good info there.

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostWed Oct 04, 06 2:06 pm     Reply with quote

BamBam posted some info on here somewhere about Squamish - up about 45 minutes North of Vancouver....one of the only consistant places to ride in that area.

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostWed Oct 04, 06 3:55 pm     Reply with quote

Cool thanks guys.

I may end up having to relocate for a job opportunity and would love to go somewhere where I can still Kite.

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostWed Oct 04, 06 4:02 pm     Reply with quote

Squamish is out for the near future as a result of the oilspill earlier this summer. I've talked to some Vancouver kiters, and it sounds like the area right around Vancouver is pretty heavily regulated and lots of beaches are off limits for kiting during the summer.

I've raced sailboats around Victoria, B.C. and there is a pretty good kite scene there right in town & Nitnat Inlet is suppossed to be pretty cool spot.

jcarlson

Since 10 Jun 2006
12 Posts
Seattle

PostWed Oct 04, 06 9:07 pm     Reply with quote

I live in Seattle, the seattle link on this forum is to the forum part of the SKA site. this link is to where some of the seattle spots are described on the same website.

http://www.seattlekitesurfing.org/index.php?title=Kite_launches

The Skypilot website is where you will find info on the greater Vancouver BC kiteboarding, and Seattle, perhaps more than the SKA site. For example, the SKA site used to have Richmond Beach, one of the main fall, windter, and spring south wind locations which is no longer described there, but is on Skypilot.

http://www.skypilotkiteboarding.com/

Squamish is mainly a summer spot. I have only kiteted there one time, two weekends back. I was told they are packing up the mats that they use to cover the rock jetty launch and there will be construction going on at some time to expand the launch for next season.

Jay

Great White

Since 09 Aug 2006
7 Posts
Canada, eh!
Kook

PostThu Oct 05, 06 9:14 am     Reply with quote

I've kiting in almost every major kite spot in North America and from what I've seen the Vancouver area is one of the few places in North America where you can kite all year and primarily use your 10m (or smaller).

I hope you like the cold though. Wink

Squamish - It's actually been re-opened after the spill for some time now. Summer spot. It blows steady wind 8m or 10m most-every day (definately more consistent than the gorge). This year the season is still hanging on a bit longer though - global warming I guess. Wink Yes, they will be closing it soon though for a $120,000 site-improvent over the winter.

Fall/Winter/Spring - Restrictions are ended as of Labour Day and you can kite right in the city (Jericho Beach/Spanish banks/Wreck Beach/Acadia Beach). Any day that the weather changes from shitty/rainy to sunny (semi-often in the fall & spring) it will be sunny and windy (nice long beaches for downwinders too). AWESOME at low or ebbing tide - waist deep and sandy.

There is also another spot that is good about 4 days/week all fall/winter/spring - Boundary Bay & the Tswassen Ferry terminal. Anything from 6m kites to 16m, usually somewhere in the middle. It blows most days that it's raining and gnarly in the city (often!) but it tends to create nice steady side-shore winds and a wierd little clearing of sun right out at the beach. It's about a 35 to 45 minute drive out of Vancouver-proper.

The Vancouver Island/Tofino/JordanRiver area gets some killer wave days often with strong winds (both side-on and side-off) and some SERIOUS swells (Check out the latest issue of Transworld Surf magazine). You have to take a ferry though, so it's more of a weekend-trip spot. For some reason, not many Vancouver kiters go over there. That is starting to change though. Tons of surfers do go very often though.

If you have a flexible schedule and a car, you can kite A LOT in the vancouver area. The only thing is that you need to be able to go when and where it happens for the day. Many times you have a pick of at least 2 spots though.

Check out www.skypilotkiteboarding.com for more info, photos and local forum.

Best local shop: www.airtimeboardsports.com

I hope that helps.
Kyle

Last edited by Great White on Thu Oct 05, 06 10:16 am; edited 2 times in total

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostThu Oct 05, 06 9:33 am     Reply with quote

Kyle...thanks for the info, it's helping more than a few people out!

I kept running into people saying that Squamish was the only place legal to kite...but I've seen pics of people off Jericho beach and never a sign saying not to do it...so much room to setup and seemed like plenty of wind, so this is good news for the future!

By the way and barely on topic, here's a funny shot of Vancouver's version of 'speed dating' at a restaurant in gastown.

CSO_0115.jpg 

dangerD

Since 27 Jun 2005
223 Posts
Bingen Heights
Stoked

PostThu Oct 05, 06 10:02 am    BC Warning Reply with quote

Hey, where'd ya get that pic?
I think thats outside the Midtown Cannibus Club, right?
In July, I woke up in the trunk of one of those SmartCars, no passport and no pants! (it didnt seem so smart at the time) I had to hike a trail to return to the US.(My backpack paid for the trip!)
Any similar experiences with the neighbors to the north?

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostThu Oct 05, 06 12:47 pm     Reply with quote

Kyle man - you just made my day!!! I absolutely love to kite and I love the outdoors. I may end up moving to Vancouver and from what I can tell Vancouver has pretty much everything I need to live and be happy in a city - all except the kiting. That was a big question mark. I wasn't sure what that was like - however, based on your post I'll still be able to get my fix of kiting. and in the winter I'll just board the whole time (I grew up in the desert and still have a hard time with extremely cold conditions - so I'll probably skip the winter kiting for now).

Thanks again!!!!

Teague

Since 10 Jul 2005
114 Posts
Really Windy Places
Stoked

PostThu Oct 05, 06 10:16 pm     Reply with quote

pacifichigh wrote:
Squamish is out for the near future as a result of the oilspill earlier this summer. I've talked to some Vancouver kiters, and it sounds like the area right around Vancouver is pretty heavily regulated and lots of beaches are off limits for kiting during the summer.

I've raced sailboats around Victoria, B.C. and there is a pretty good kite scene there right in town & Nitnat Inlet is suppossed to be pretty cool spot.

Squamish was only closed down for a few weeks after the spill. Its been opened back up for quite some time and been getting stellar winds this season. The inflows up there are nearing an end soon though. Most of the winter kiting for them is in and around Boundry Bay and Jericho. Check out www.skypilotkiteboarding.com for more info.

Seattle winter kiting rocks. Loads of places to kite in many different wind directions. www.seattlekitesurfing.org

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostThu Oct 19, 06 9:34 am    Kiting looked crappy so why not a BC roadtrip? Reply with quote

This last weekend I did a cannoball run through Central Washington into the Okanagan area and up as far as 100 mile House in BC, then down through Pemberton, Whistler, Squamish and Vancouver back to Portland...it was a ton of driving, but incredible scenery and I wanted to share a bit of it here in case you don't know what you are missing up North in the Fall. I've added some pictures from another road tripper that travelled up in the Canadian Rockies near Banff as well...

IMGP1248.jpg 
   IMGP1299.jpg 
   IMGP1442.jpg 
   IMGP1388.jpg 
   whyme.jpg 
   pumpkins2.jpg 
   north.jpg 
   lake2.jpg 

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostThu Oct 19, 06 1:04 pm     Reply with quote

Wow - Colby that first shot is a mind blower.

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostThu Oct 19, 06 1:18 pm     Reply with quote

thanks gman.... love taking credit, but the Nikon and the lake did most of the work...in love with this camera! Very Happy We're heading east of HR here pretty soon...pm me if you're game.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostThu Oct 19, 06 6:22 pm     Reply with quote

you mean the first one is not a photoshopped foo fooed image?
Very nice.

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostThu Oct 19, 06 6:41 pm     Reply with quote

No,.only sharpening in PS...that's the true color of the lake bottom...maybe some kind of volcanic silt? There was a beautiful little camp ground past the marsh in the picture...this is about 45 mins past Pemberton going North.

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostThu Oct 19, 06 9:22 pm     Reply with quote

Colby,

Nice work, those pictures are amazing Thumb's Up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: