Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Looking for a quality high volume (tall) kite pump
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Youkai

Since 08 Feb 2010
553 Posts
Beaverton
Addicted

PostSat May 12, 12 2:46 pm    Looking for a quality high volume (tall) kite pump Reply with quote

I did some looking in Portland and wasn't able to find a good tall kite pump. The one I have now is a 12 inch pump and that's just not going to do it for another season.

Does anybody have any recommendations for pumps that can be found online that are tall/high volume? I'd be very happy if I could find a 24 inch pump. I've heard in the past that you can't really get the larger diameter pumps because you can't pressurize your kite with them.

Also I heard a guy talking at SI one day about some machined pump that he got that was fairly expensive but super easy to pump. Anybody know what those are?

Anyway links to pumps online or a place where you know for sure that larger pumps are available around Portland would be awesome. Thanks.

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostSat May 12, 12 3:38 pm     Reply with quote

we always used Carlson pumps for rafting etc. they are tall and could pump our kites up in about 30 seconds without having max flow!!! They are expensive!!!

undertow

Since 15 Feb 2008
371 Posts
BeaversBurg
Obsessed

PostSat May 12, 12 5:15 pm     Reply with quote

Good luck on dat one!

Youkai

Since 08 Feb 2010
553 Posts
Beaverton
Addicted

PostSat May 12, 12 10:12 pm     Reply with quote

Is this the pump you are talking about KMG? http://www.riversports.com/product_detail/376/Carlson-Barrel-Pumps.html

It's a bit expensive and I can't really tell from the picture if it has the ability for me to put the nozzle I would need on it. I like that that's a 24 inch pump but I'd need a no questions asked money back guarantee if I was going to fork out that kind of money for a pump I can't test before buying.

Hopefully some other people have good ideas.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun May 13, 12 7:16 am     Reply with quote

If you get something like that, make sure and get the 4" diameter, not the 6"

4"-Force required to pump to 10psi: about 120 pounds

6"-Force required to pump to 10psi: about 280 pounds

That's assuming the piston itself is 4" and 6". If they're really 3.5" and 5.5" (as seems likely), then you get roughly 96 pounds and 240 pounds. Also, that doesn't take into account friction or the effort to push the air through the hose.

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostSun May 13, 12 8:13 am     Reply with quote

That is a similar pump. Try Andy and bax ? They are in Portland next to next adventure. I believe they are a local raft retailer and they should have some in stock. The Carlson is the bread and butter rafting pump!

Youkai

Since 08 Feb 2010
553 Posts
Beaverton
Addicted

PostSun May 13, 12 8:50 am     Reply with quote

I went to Andy and Bax in their basement. All I saw that resembled a normal pump were 12 inch pumps. They had some other sort of weird tall pump without a traditional handle on it but the nozzle didn't look like something a hose could connect to.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun May 13, 12 8:54 am     Reply with quote

There's a raft/kayak shop on Hayden island. Maybe they carry them? Sorry, I don't remember the name. It's not in the shopping center; it's further east.

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostSun May 13, 12 9:44 am    seyvlor Reply with quote

$13. this is all i've used for a while now.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1024&bih=515&q=sevylor+pump&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=6492567244741443135&sa=X&ei=hvKvT532PInViAKAlYDdAw&ved=0CMkBEPMCMAM

Youkai

Since 08 Feb 2010
553 Posts
Beaverton
Addicted

PostSun May 13, 12 10:33 am     Reply with quote

That one is 18 inches chrissmack. Mine is only 12 inches so for $13 that is a definite possibility. I'd really like to find a 24 inch one if I can but I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun May 13, 12 10:42 am     Reply with quote

Yeah, that's the same as the tall kite pumps, but I believe it has a plastic shaft instead of a metal one.

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostSun May 13, 12 10:58 am     Reply with quote

i've never had a problem with the plastic shaft on pumps. i'd say that is only a problem if your pump becomes a community pump for the day?

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostSun May 13, 12 1:01 pm     Reply with quote

chrissmack wrote:
i'd say that is only a problem if your pump becomes a community pump for the day?
That's what she said.

Youkai.....what's your biggest kite size?? As long as you're pump is dual-action I don't see the need but if you want to spend $250 on a 24" rafting pump I see you becoming a two time winner for kook of the year.

its_kite:30

Since 29 May 2009
108 Posts
White Salmon/ Beaverton
Stoked

PostSun May 13, 12 1:19 pm    Is it a bad pump? Reply with quote

I had a laboring pump, that gave me hell pumping up a 12m. I bought a coleman battery operated pump for an air mattress. It got the volume filled and then I just finished it off with the jacked up pump.
Now I just have a properly working pump and no longer have to be the annoying guy with the loud electric pump.

Youkai

Since 08 Feb 2010
553 Posts
Beaverton
Addicted

PostSun May 13, 12 1:46 pm     Reply with quote

My current pump is 12 inches Sella. I almost always fly my 11m which takes a long time to pump up on a 12 inch pump. Also I'm fairly tall so I have to bend over excessively to pump on a 12 inch pump. After two seasons using the pump it still gets the job done but I think it might be starting to fatigue a little. I don't think I need a $200 pump but I was really hoping to find a 24 inch pump for a reasonable amount. I think I'm going to try that 18 inch pump chrissmack posted earlier in the thread.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostSun May 13, 12 2:38 pm     Reply with quote

12m?
I've got the last 6 days on my 14m park.
Not sure if you could make it up here in Seattle.
Anyhow consider modifying your current kite pump if you are tired of bending over

http://www.thekiteboarder.com/2010/02/workbench-the-ultimate-kite-pump/

rkat45

Since 02 Feb 2012
58 Posts
Wisco

PostSun May 13, 12 3:15 pm     Reply with quote

Guys are always pumping up 12m kites where i kite and they dont complain. Just think of it as a warm up before your session!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: