Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Anyone heading to Gorge from P-town on Monday?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostSun Sep 17, 06 10:46 pm    Anyone heading to Gorge from P-town on Monday? Reply with quote

Seems like there's a chance for some wind tomorrow, especially further East. I'll be keeping an eye on it, and might head out to the Gorge if it pans out. Anyone interested in a ride share from Portland? Gotta catch whatever's offered at this point...let's hope it's something good Cool

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon Sep 18, 06 10:32 am     Reply with quote

Looks like the Event Site just ramped up, but too bad there's a think cloud layer super far east today. I want some SUN! Very Happy

Garret

Since 07 Sep 2006
254 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostMon Sep 18, 06 10:55 am     Reply with quote

I might go up tomorrow afternoon if there is any wind.

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostMon Sep 18, 06 10:58 am     Reply with quote

Yeah, I doubt there'll be too much sun today. We'll see though maybe the wind will come up some more later. If it does I might just book it out there. Even a bit of up and down riding could be pretty fun at this point. Haven't ridden in about a week Shocked

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostMon Sep 18, 06 11:11 am     Reply with quote

Confused

9.18 Gorge.jpg 

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon Sep 18, 06 12:50 pm     Reply with quote

Oh look, the central coast is pretty clear though... At this point, I'm just hoping for tomorrow!

Ugggggggggly
 Ugggggggggly  Oregon.jpg 

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostMon Sep 18, 06 1:10 pm     Reply with quote

Gorge picked up nicely though. Gusty as hell I'm sure, but at least some wind. Even saw a kite on the Hatchery cam. Might head out there.

mapperv2.jpg 

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostMon Sep 18, 06 1:15 pm     Reply with quote

OK, I'm doing it. Will report back after some sweet riding Smile.

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostMon Sep 18, 06 6:37 pm     Reply with quote

Janet and I got a couple of hours riding in over at Secret Spot. Janet keeps getting better every time out, she is super close to being able to stay upwind Smile

Today was good for me too. After an epic wipeout where I forgot to slow down before trying a backroll kiteloop Shocked I managed to land a couple of them Thumb's Up Janet got quite a nice show from all the wipeouts.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Sep 18, 06 6:44 pm     Reply with quote

Go Team JJ! Very Happy

Those "oops I went too quick into it" backroll kiteloops are more fun to watch than participate in I think.

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostMon Sep 18, 06 7:47 pm     Reply with quote

good to hear you two got out...are you on for tmrw afternoon if its windy?

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostMon Sep 18, 06 9:04 pm     Reply with quote

Nah. I am working a modified shift now, so I have off on Monday's. We are super busy at work, so I doubt I will be getting out at all this week.

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostMon Sep 18, 06 9:11 pm     Reply with quote

bummer...I'll keep the mondays in mind though.

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostMon Sep 18, 06 11:36 pm     Reply with quote

Crossing toll bridge in Hood River to scope out Lyle: 75 cents
Filling up the gas tank: $40
Kite gear: $2000
Smile on your face after sticking your first jibe: priceless

Here's my story from today.

Hood River was dead on the way out, so I checked out Lyle. There were several people out riding, but it looked like they were starting to work their 12s. In retrospect I probably should've stayed there, but I was worried the wind would die soon since I got there after 4pm. I kept cruising to Rufus since I figured the wind would've shifted there by now. There were some clouds overhead in Rufus, very striped wind on the water, and NO ONE around. I figured what the hell and rigged since I was committed to ride there at that point. After 5:40 or so the clouds moved out and the wind filled in a bit more. I self-launched and had a pretty gnarly, but fun session from 6-7:20pm until it started getting rather dark and the wind came down. The wind was really patchy across the river with spots ranging from mid teens to about 30mph. I made it work on my 12m Octane and 146cm Naish Alien mutant. Since it was too weird for jumping I decided to try jibing (figured it would be handy at the coast), and throughout my session managed to stick 3 jibes Very Happy The wind was really Northerly, and at some point I was riding parallel to the shore Cool. Probably could've made it close to Maryhill if I'd wanted to.

The trickiest part about jibing for me was moving the front foot back. I don't have a pad between the straps, which would've helped a lot, and my small mutant board gets really twitchy as you're moving the front foot back. At this point all your weight is on your new front foot, which is next to the front strap, and this caused my board to wabble if I wasn't really smooth in my foot switching. However, I did get really good at riding my board with both feet around the front strap going straight downwind. I managed to ride in that position over all sorts of chop and swell for over 100ft in preparation for the big switch. It's pretty fun actually, makes you feel like you're surfing on a longboard.

Anyway, just wanted to share some of the conditions since it seems like few people got out there today. It was weird having the river all to myself. Having the space was awesome, but it's always nice to have a few buddies out there riding with you.

I pasted the John Day Damn chart as a reference for the wind direction and gustiness.

Let's hope for more fun sessions this week Smile

Over and out.

newgraph.gif 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: