Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Newport on South Wind?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostFri Sep 15, 06 10:29 am    Newport on South Wind? Reply with quote

Says its blowing 20 from the south with 8ft swell 10 sec period.

Sounds good - is it worth checking out from Ptown or is it super flukey on a south wind.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostFri Sep 15, 06 11:11 am     Reply with quote

South wind works. Definately not as stable as north, but still rideable. Just watch the tide, the rip is pretty strong on an outgoing tide near the jetty (and south doesn't help).

Looks pretty cloudy from the satellite, but there's not much rain out there... at least right now.

The wind is ramping up there like crazy!!!! Surprised

kt

Since 16 Mar 2005
759 Posts
Portland, Or
Opinionated

PostFri Sep 15, 06 1:03 pm     Reply with quote

going to cape disappointment this weekend to camp. how about kiting the north side of that jetty that is at the mouth of the columbia?

maybe a trip into ft. stevens lot D?

kt

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostFri Sep 15, 06 1:36 pm     Reply with quote

Damn, clouds cleared up a bit, no rain, and wind's holding fairly solid. Might be good out there today afterall!

Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostFri Sep 15, 06 1:51 pm     Reply with quote

Stay away from the south side of Jetties - i.e: South Beach. You can end up where you definitely don't want to. On southerlies we usually go to Nye Beach, Beverly, or down south (Lost Creek, south of Waldport, wherever). The bays are best, though, offering our only true flatwater kiting. Keep your eye on Siletz Bay on an incoming tide. The other bays are flukier and take years to figure out.

The best strategy is to have a plan B (some land-based activity) so you don't get burned, otherwise there's a 95% chance you will. The kiters that do best are the ones who rig fast, aren't phased by mauling surf and sweeping current, are light on their feet and not fussy about the conditions. That doesn't mean to forego judgement however; I've seen more than enough Coast Guard rescues.

I'll take a south wind session if its handed right to me, but usually they're not even worth chasing. And I live here!

Let me know if you get anything,

Steve

kt

Since 16 Mar 2005
759 Posts
Portland, Or
Opinionated

PostFri Sep 15, 06 3:22 pm     Reply with quote

Mocean wrote:
Stay away from the south side of Jetties - i.e: South Beach. You can end up where you definitely don't want to. On southerlies we usually go to Nye Beach, Beverly, or down south (Lost Creek, south of Waldport, wherever). The bays are best, though, offering our only true flatwater kiting. Keep your eye on Siletz Bay on an incoming tide. The other bays are flukier and take years to figure out.

The best strategy is to have a plan B (some land-based activity) so you don't get burned, otherwise there's a 95% chance you will. The kiters that do best are the ones who rig fast, aren't phased by mauling surf and sweeping current, are light on their feet and not fussy about the conditions. That doesn't mean to forego judgement however; I've seen more than enough Coast Guard rescues.

I'll take a south wind session if its handed right to me, but usually they're not even worth chasing. And I live here!

Let me know if you get anything,

Steve

hey steve,

thanks very much fot the advice. i will study very carefully before going out.

kt

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostSat Sep 16, 06 1:01 pm    goofy Reply with quote

if yur goofy you will love your chance to shine ,usually good for an hour or two if the storm is slow moving and 10 minutes if not.
just like any frontal weather ,be there ,be ready with the right kite ,it happens fast.
but with south swell and south wind and warm as can be (for here) has been some of my best riding (at Whiskey Run)ridable ,20 footers, Shocked yee haw

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: