Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Martins Bar, Woodland WA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
quenyaistar

Since 21 Oct 2011
416 Posts
Cougar, WA
Obsessed

PostFri Nov 25, 11 3:21 pm    Martins Bar, Woodland WA Reply with quote

I have been scouting kite spots, and Woodland WA. is the closest Columbia River access to me. I found a spot called Martins Bar, it is a park and one mile long sandy beach on a nice wide piece of the Columbia River where you can drive right onto the beach.

Anybody ever kite here?

sirmichaelo

Since 26 Mar 2010
353 Posts
Maui
Obsessed

PostFri Nov 25, 11 4:59 pm     Reply with quote

Woodland gets good wind in the summer.

Just be careful of all those leftover fish ladder logs of death. Woodland is covered in them. Extremely dangerous. Kalama is much safer.

Life is too short for second chances, although we do get many of them.

quenyaistar

Since 21 Oct 2011
416 Posts
Cougar, WA
Obsessed

PostFri Nov 25, 11 5:39 pm     Reply with quote

What is a fish ladder log?

sirmichaelo

Since 26 Mar 2010
353 Posts
Maui
Obsessed

PostFri Nov 25, 11 7:18 pm     Reply with quote

Well, we've always called 'em fish ladders (which is technically incorrect because a fish ladder is a totally different thing) but they're the remains of the canneries which used to use conveyor belts to haul the salmon through the factory.

Now they're nature's barbed wire for kiters.

If you are EVER getting pulled towards these things eject, eject, eject. Woodland has a ton of 'em.

Seacrest out.

pilings.jpg 
   cannery2.jpg 

Life is too short for second chances, although we do get many of them.

quenyaistar

Since 21 Oct 2011
416 Posts
Cougar, WA
Obsessed

PostFri Nov 25, 11 7:33 pm     Reply with quote

I thought that was what you were talking about. I saw one that didnt stick out of the water much, nothing like any of your pictures. Maybe their is more on the Oregon side I could not see.

I think I will see Martins Bar a lot this summer. I can park close to the water and hook my dog to the car, so she can watch.

What is the name of the place you speak of at Kalama? Google map?

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostFri Nov 25, 11 7:58 pm     Reply with quote

383 Tidewater Dr
Kalama, WA 98625

I don't know how to link specific spots on google maps. That address is about right. There is a park along the water. Launch can be tricky and I haven't mastered reading the forecasts for it, but it can be good in afternoons of the August-September timeframe, or morning sessions on glass in late June - Aug. I work up in Kalama, so I don't really need to forecast things in the summer. I just put my stuff in the car and go to work. The wind will be coming from Kelso/Longview.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Nov 28, 11 12:14 pm     Reply with quote

quenyaistar wrote:

I think I will see Martins Bar a lot this summer. I can park close to the water and hook my dog to the car, so she can watch.

Better yet, downwinders from Kalama-Ramma to Woodland (exit 22).

Spider Monkey

Since 15 Jul 2007
36 Posts
Columbia City

PostWed Nov 30, 11 1:37 pm     Reply with quote

Last edited by Spider Monkey on Wed Dec 21, 11 4:20 pm; edited 3 times in total

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostWed Nov 30, 11 1:46 pm     Reply with quote

Booted! Thumb's Up

J_Matic

Since 14 Oct 2011
158 Posts
InDaHo
Stoked

PostWed Nov 30, 11 2:27 pm     Reply with quote

Mother lovin' shaky ass footage....get a tripod if you're gonna post it on da Webz!

Laughing

quenyaistar

Since 21 Oct 2011
416 Posts
Cougar, WA
Obsessed

PostTue Dec 20, 11 4:37 pm     Reply with quote

So I went and checked out Kalama and I thought it looked turible compared to Martins Bar. Skinny beach with no place to launch. Five fish catchers in a row at the down river end of the skinny beach. 6 barges anchored at the island across from Kalama, and a barge at the up river beginning of the skinny beach. Plus the river just isnt as wide at Kalama as it is at Martins Bar.

I could not figure out why somebody would think this is better than Martins Bar, until I stumbled onto Austin Point 2-3 miles up river from Martins Bar where the Lewis River enters the Columbia. This is what the Kalama boosters must have thought I was talking about. It has a nice big sandy area for launching but their are fish catchers all over the place and the channel is narrow.

So if you have been disappointed with Austin Point try Martins Bar it looks way better than Kalama.

Has anyone ever down winded from Kalama or Woodland to Frenchmans Bar or Sauvies Island? How was it? It would be about 15 miles is that to long? To sketchy because the wind could change?

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Dec 20, 11 5:37 pm     Reply with quote

With boat support it could be done... Without a boat you have two problems. Really no way of knowing if you'll have wind in between and no good way to hitch-hike to your start or destination. Second, that's a damned long drive--in your car--from Woodland to Sauvie.

quenyaistar

Since 21 Oct 2011
416 Posts
Cougar, WA
Obsessed

PostTue Dec 20, 11 5:44 pm     Reply with quote

My daughter lives in Vancouver and can pick up at Frenchmans Bar. Getting somebody to follow in a boat, maybe?

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Dec 20, 11 5:51 pm     Reply with quote

quenyaistar wrote:
My daughter lives in Vancouver and can pick up at Frenchmans Bar. Getting somebody to follow in a boat, maybe?

As you move upriver from Sauvie, the wind get's really iffy. A lot of times you sit at Sauvie waiting for the wind to get there from downriver. It's possible to make it to Frenchman's, but I'd be real hesitant to try it without boat or jetski support. Maybe on the right day.

The thing about Gorge downwinders is there's usually a way to the road and people are a lot more likely to pick you up and not murder you than they are on I-5.

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostTue Dec 20, 11 6:41 pm     Reply with quote

[quote="Dern"]383 Tidewater Dr
Kalama, WA 98625

That address looks like a shady spot. I thought the launch was up closer to town with the bigger sandy beach. Someone will just have to meet me there next year so I can see where they are kiting from!!!

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Dec 21, 11 11:15 am     Reply with quote

quenyaistar wrote:
So I went and checked out Kalama and I thought it looked turible compared to Martins Bar. Skinny beach with no place to launch. Five fish catchers in a row at the down river end of the skinny beach. 6 barges anchored at the island across from Kalama, and a barge at the up river beginning of the skinny beach. Plus the river just isnt as wide at Kalama as it is at Martins Bar.

I could not figure out why somebody would think this is better than Martins Bar, until I stumbled onto Austin Point 2-3 miles up river from Martins Bar where the Lewis River enters the Columbia. This is what the Kalama boosters must have thought I was talking about. It has a nice big sandy area for launching but their are fish catchers all over the place and the channel is narrow.

So if you have been disappointed with Austin Point try Martins Bar it looks way better than Kalama.

Has anyone ever down winded from Kalama or Woodland to Frenchmans Bar or Sauvies Island? How was it? It would be about 15 miles is that to long? To sketchy because the wind could change?

Did you see my quote from above? Yes, downwinders are done from Kalama to Woodland (exit 22, drive south like a mile and there is the beach and river). Lots of flat water to be had in-between. Kalama is better than Woodland because it is cleaner, less logs, closer to the hwy, and there are less meth-heads lurking around, waiting for you to go kiting so they can hit up your car.

As far as fishermen go. . .there are a lot at Sauvies, Woodland and Kalama; especially in Spring when the first N/NW winds are starting to appear. I believe the fishermen are there for the prized Spring Chinook/King Salmon. I believe the fishermen are looking for a particular effect/situation in the Columbia waters. First of all, the river is affected by ocean tidal flux all the way to the first/lowest dam on the Columbia (Bonneville). So at low tides at the ocean, the river flow runs a bit faster--there is a delayed affect and a chart for this; Sauvies is like 5 hrs later than the posted tides for the mouth of the Columbia. This effect affects the salmon migrating traveling upstream. I believe the salmon don't travel as much upstream when they have more force to swim against. When the tide changes, you'll see less fishermen on the banks.

Unfortunately, kiteboarders also like opposing currents at the above mentioned sites because it increases apparent wind speed. Sometimes this opposing current is the difference between kiting at Sauvies, Kalama or Woodland, or just sitting on the beach, drinking beer and wondering why you drove 30/45 minutes for a skunk session. Another note, tidal influence is less in the Spring vs mid/late summer as there is more water running. This however, does not affect the # of fishermen on the limited banks during Spring (more water flowing = less river bank).

Nak was spot on with regards to the winds from Sauvies down to Frenchmen's Bar. Downwinders can be had from Kalama to SI, but you would want a boat and one would need to move around to different areas of the river as the wind becomes shaddowed on the Washington side as the river bends at St Helens (wind direction also affects this). With regards to long downwinders, I've often found that more distance is less quality. For me, 7 miles seems to be the magical #/limit with logistics, time, wind quality etc etc. (river or ocean, here in the NW; not Brazil with hired tazi drivers...) Yes, longer downwinders can be had, but they seem offer themselves up less. But when they happen and you snag one it makes for a good story and you tend to remember those ones more than the shorter ones.

Last edited by Sasquatch on Wed Aug 09, 17 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

quenyaistar

Since 21 Oct 2011
416 Posts
Cougar, WA
Obsessed

PostWed Dec 21, 11 5:59 pm     Reply with quote

Gotdamn their is a lot to factor in with this kiting business, I love it Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: