Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

current question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
jdk

Since 21 Dec 2005
333 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Aug 30, 06 7:47 am    current question Reply with quote

yes the windsurfer story freaks me out, i admit it Shocked

i haven't had problems getting to shore between jetty and sunset beach and i won't kite in offshore winds but what's the story with the rip up here verses down in newport or anywhere else? is there a current on the outside of the break up here between jetty and sunset? i've seen people swimming in from pretty far out (200 yards) while their kite was still in the air but depowered on the fifth line and it looked like they did fine but if someone has had other experiences please post. i've had to body drag in from maybe 150 yards out but have never dumped my kite and it would be nice to know what i'm in for when that happens

when i say 'depowered on the fifth line' i mean that it looked like they got lines twisted and then rolled up their lines partially but the kite stayed in the air even though its depowered. i'm sure this helped them to get to shore somewhat but not like a true self rescue.

i keep adding to this but i feel like i might not be explaining myself well or this is too broad of a question. i guess getting separated from kite and board inside the break _should_ not be a problem as waves i would think would push you into shore. but what happens if you have to cut loose from your kite outside the break, can you get back to shore in this scenario? any info would be great

Thanks

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostWed Aug 30, 06 8:23 am     Reply with quote

I've never had any problems out here but admittadly, my time on the coast has been limited. It seems to me that you can get out of most ocean rips by just swimming perpendicular to the flow. The columbia bar is extremely hazardous, you can thank the COE for dumping dredge material back in the day and making it even worse but there is an edge to the rip, and that is what your shooting for.

If things get nasty I would probably get in self rescue mode and stay with the kite at all costs. If you end up taking the cheap way to Japan and the wind is the wrong direction to SR back to shore, roll up your kite, get on top of it, huddle in a ball to conserve warmth, and wait for the coast guard.

A very good reason not to kite alone in the ocean.

Just my 2 cents.

jdk

Since 21 Dec 2005
333 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Aug 30, 06 9:19 am     Reply with quote

i guess i shouldn't worry too much, if i'm getting swept out to sea i'll probably just die of a heart attack anyway Crying or Very sad

Very Happy

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostWed Aug 30, 06 10:10 am     Reply with quote

Was surfing my waveski (kayak surfboard thingy you paddle) while my wife was body boarding in Port Orchard - she got caught in a nasty rip tide going straight offshore - she wasn't too happy till I towed her back

http://www.ripcurrents.noaa.gov/

First reaction is to freak out - never good.

Had another eye opener Shocked kayak fishing off florida - did a down current drift for the day from Lake Worth to Jupiter about 12 miles - paddled out a few miles to the edge of the gulfstream and drifted the 12 miles up the coast -grew up down there doing silly things like this - the fishing can be awesome. Caught a couple of blackfin tuna - supercool to hookup a big fish in the kayak - love it when a 50' sportfishing boat pulls by and you have the tuna strapped to the deck.

When I was ready to head in a mile or two off Jupiter - the current turned offshore at 2 - 3 knots. The kayak fortunately was long and fast enough to make ground against the current - barely - and current dropped off halfway in - thank god.

rip_signs042704-sm[1].jpg 

Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostWed Aug 30, 06 11:29 am     Reply with quote

That story freaks me out also. Don't know if I will be kiting the spit. I've got to say though that I've never noticed a strong rip in Newport at the jetty. Is it just if you get outside the jetty?

Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostWed Aug 30, 06 12:17 pm     Reply with quote

Often at jetty spots there'll be a strong current pulling out along the jetty, and like in Newport, up the beach towards the jetty from the south. This increases when the swell is bigger or when there's a lot of tide movement. I've had lines broken when I'm outside the tip of the jetty and self-rescued, ending up a half-mile or so down the beach by the time I got in. The important thing to remember is that if you're getting sucked out along the jetty, you can always ride it out to the outside and then drift back downwind to the beach.

Then there's the time my windsurf booms broke 2 miles offshore and I got a ride back in with a charter fishing boat. Could've paddled it in but opted for the quick ride instead.

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostWed Aug 30, 06 2:29 pm    reason Reply with quote

there is a reason it takes a couple miles for your gear to come back in ,or in the case of the Columbia I'm thinking days to get back in on a fast ebb and bigger swell,
Same in Florence don't think you can out swim it ,
The Bandon search and rescue wanted my pal Norm to assit with water rescue because of his expertise in the ocean. He declined because too dangerous.
The next year someone fell off the Bandon jetty and was swept quickly out, the local Fire dept showed up and 2 guys jumped in after him ,long sad ending was the guy went limp and was washed up on the beach (rocks) after the rest of the dept spent all thier time trying to rescue thier guys ,one drowned the other almost did ,very sad day in the small community ,just because of lack of knowledge of what the water is doing .

All is well when your kite is up and board is under you ,,however I dress for the crash not for the ride (just like motorcycles)

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Aug 30, 06 4:14 pm     Reply with quote

wow really sad story.

so a rescue swimmer drowned? those guys are pretty well outfitted for long cold swims.

oh i see you say "fire dept". so perhaps not so well prepared for this particlar type of rescue.

i've gotten the cold water hypo too. it's bad - hard to tell you got it until it's too late. i feel a little safer now that ive taken your advice and bundled up. our spot encourages deep tacks (unlike downwinders)

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostThu Aug 31, 06 6:28 am    yup Reply with quote

Those fireman had all the wrong shit ,lifejackets,drysuits, bulky shit all over them .
Just no way to get out of the foam YOU CANNOT BREATHE FOAM, if you are on the surface of big swell you will not make it,
you have to dive though it under the wave ,get a look at surfers REALLY.

When we went up to the Columbia jetty last week there were a couple of kiters without wetsuits (STOOOPID)so they should be as clean as it gets.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: