Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

as long as we're talking about new spots

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 30, 06 6:31 am    as long as we're talking about new spots Reply with quote

I was in Pacific City last weekend and happened to take my kites. Friday evening, the wind was up in 10/12 territory. I was too far north on the beach (up by the big sand hill), and the wind kept changing directions. Once I went downwind a bit, the wind got awesome. I would forget and go back upwind, and my kite would drop out of the sky.

Saturday, I walked down about 1/2 mile down the beach. There is a public entry there (it is a continuation of the road you take over the river to get to the main road in pacific city). There weren't a lot of people that far down the beach either. I was teaching a few people how to fly the kite up until about 3 (the winds were just under 12 territory, a 14 probably would have been fine), I went and had lunch and went back out at 5. At first, I had to work the 12 a little, but by 7, the wind was smooth, steady, and I was lit. I stayed out there until my legs were shaking. As I came back in each time, I kept telling myself, "ok, just one more out and in and then you're done", but I was having so much fun, I just kept on saying that. The tide was going out. There was a nice smooth pool to put my board on, and then I headed into the 'inside' break. Small waves that closed out immediately. I went out past them and found 4-5 foot swells that would break perfectly and had a nice left hand roll. What a great time!!!! I would go out past, then come back and roll over the top, then shut down the power on the waroo and ride.... wahooo

I should also say, I'm really glad the post about waves was here. I still consider myself a noob, and reading through that stuff helped me through the breakers. I only got pulled off my board one time.

The beach is huge, and I was out there alone. When I came back in, I was treated like a rock star. There were 3-4 photographers out snapping shots of me. One guy stayed the entire time I rode. All kinds of other people came up and were talking to me. Pretty fun. My day to be Amery. Wink

anyway... I claim it as another kite beach!

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostWed Aug 30, 06 6:50 am    sounds like Reply with quote

some KODAK moments !!!

Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostWed Aug 30, 06 7:04 am     Reply with quote

You were out at "Turnarounds" - good surf spot on smaller swells, and really about as far upwind as you want to go to avoid the lee of the headland. Never kited it but windsurfed it in the old days. One day I saw it epic when I was working and didn't have my kite gear - perfect wind and a reeling right hand sand bar with a huge channel. It can get real good.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: