Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

old spot (new to some)
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostSat Aug 26, 06 7:39 pm    old spot (new to some) Reply with quote

and it shall be called woodland
its convieniently located 20 mins away from vancouver and about 35 min. from portland. its windier than sauvies island with flatter water and just as much space. however watch out for drunk angry hicks on dirtbikes broken glass and mike hawk

to get there take I-5 north like your going to jones beach then turn off at the woodland cougar exit. turn left and pass back under the highway, take a left on lakeshore dr. keep on that road untill it meets s. perkin where you take a right, then take a left onto whalen. keep on whalen untill you hit dike road. take a left and keep driving untill you see a heavy equipment training area. just past this is a small turnoff with a sign warning against atvs. take this turnoff (the road is pretty sandy&bumpy having awd is very good) you can park anywhere along this road. and setup right by your car. if its crowded with hicks in a certain area you can just drive a bit further and there is nobody.

hah it has been claimed
 hah it has been claimed  webDsc03710.jpg 
   webDsc03664.jpg 
   webDsc03698.jpg 
   webDsc03687.jpg 
lots of room
 lots of room  webDsc03731.jpg 
soo much butter
 soo much butter  webDsc03661.jpg 
butter
 butter  webDsc03712.jpg 

Last edited by kiteboard117 on Mon Aug 28, 06 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Aug 26, 06 8:41 pm    Re: new spot Reply with quote

some of us have been riding it for years...

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSat Aug 26, 06 10:02 pm     Reply with quote

I'm going to Tucker's beach tomorrow. Very Happy

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSun Aug 27, 06 9:41 am     Reply with quote

Good stuff, Tucker! Are you awake yet..? Cool

bdc8622

Since 31 May 2005
74 Posts
PDX

PostSun Aug 27, 06 1:40 pm    Downwinder Reply with quote

We did a 6.75 mile downwinder on Friday going in at Kalama and pulling out right there at the beach you are mentioning. It was awesome until the end when the wind died. We were on a 12 and a 15. Great little areas to ride all along the I-5 side with lots of wind on the North side and very little on the South side.

stevegriffith22

Since 14 May 2006
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Aug 27, 06 9:36 pm     Reply with quote

old news....

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Aug 27, 06 9:45 pm     Reply with quote

Checked out Tuck's spot, then opted for another spot a bit north of there today. Wind was light but we made it work on the glides. The spot we hit had easier access (no 4x4 truck required) and was a little less crowded with fishing boats and beach goers. Although it didn't have the wing dam creating the super butter, the water was still very flat.

There are tons of beaches up and down that road, and lots of those wing dams for flat water goodness. I'll have to go back on a day with some more wind. Very Happy

Also looks like there must be a Oregon launch on the other side (somebody said it was "Columbia City.")

Hey all you baggers saying "old news" and "oh we've been there for years" ... well hey, least Tuck cared enough to share.

jahmbi

Since 28 Jul 2005
622 Posts
MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN
River Troll

PostSun Aug 27, 06 9:53 pm     Reply with quote

[quote="pkh"]Checked out Tuck's spot, then opted for another spot a bit north of there today. Wind was light but we made it work on the glides. The spot we hit had easier access (no 4x4 truck required) and was a little less crowded with fishing boats and beach goers. Although it didn't have the wing dam creating the super butter, the water was still very flat.

There are tons of beaches up and down that road, and lots of those wing dams for flat water goodness. I'll have to go back on a day with some more wind. Very Happy

Also looks like there must be a Oregon launch on the other side (somebody said it was "Columbia City.")

Hey all you baggers saying "old news" and "oh we've been there for years" ... well hey, least Tuck cared enough.....

Last edited by jahmbi on Mon Aug 28, 06 2:45 am; edited 1 time in total

jahmbi

Since 28 Jul 2005
622 Posts
MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN
River Troll

PostSun Aug 27, 06 10:17 pm     Reply with quote

[quote="jahmbi"]
pkh wrote:
Checked out Tuck's spot, then opted for another spot a bit north of there today. Wind was light but we made it work on the glides. The spot we hit had easier access (no 4x4 truck required) and was a little less crowded with fishing boats and beach goers. Although it didn't have the wing dam creating the super butter, the water was still very flat.

Hey all you baggers saying "old news" and "oh we've been there for years" ... well hey, least Tuck cared enough to share.

Last edited by jahmbi on Mon Aug 28, 06 2:38 am; edited 1 time in total

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostSun Aug 27, 06 11:44 pm     Reply with quote

just thought i would post my new discovery, i was kidding with the tucker's beach deal. i dont doubt others have kited there before me and kept it secret but there is plenty of space to ride. i wont say its the best spot in oregon, there is an unhealthily large population of hicks and its no beginer spot with the peirs and logs just downwind. but if your looking for butter flat water nearby its sick. i have a good time there and i hope by posting it up some other people will have a good time there.

stevegriffith22

Since 14 May 2006
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Aug 28, 06 8:24 am     Reply with quote

Its really not so much the hicks that make it crazy, but some of the un-ruly sailboaters that have anti kiting crap at the marinas and "warnings" ect placed at some of the marinas......Tuckers right though, that whole area is littered with glass and rusty fish hooks. There also is barbed wire rusting in and out fo the sand. All in all though.....if its the only place blowing on the river then...........

ps, sincere apologies for the blanket comment earlier, I wrote before I thought. I'm sorry for being rude and will wish beer thoughts to all.....two to tucker. Embarassed

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Aug 28, 06 9:40 am     Reply with quote

the beaches north are worth checking out (follow tuckers directions but take a right on dike road.)

We found a clean beach, plenty of room, nice folk, and still had some flat water.

Or ideally you drive to the end of Dike Rd. and do a downwinder from their to Tucker's beach... Probably about 2-3 miles or so. Hit every wing dam on the way down. Very Happy

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Aug 28, 06 9:59 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up Tucker! I'm looking forward to checking this place out. When I'm on call I've been limited to Kalama, this will be one more spot I can go. Very Happy

Good Winds,
Nak

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Aug 28, 06 10:01 am     Reply with quote

'course now we have to figure out how to predict the winds here. Maybe average Kelso and Sauvies? Any wisdom out there?

Nak

Boost

Since 09 Mar 2006
30 Posts
Pacific North Wet

PostMon Aug 28, 06 10:37 am     Reply with quote

For the last few weeks I have been Jetting around Sauvies Island and when Kite Beach is SKUNKED, woodland is always CRANKING.

I too was at Woodland this Sunday, and while it wasn’t Perfect it makes for a nice alternative to the Sauvie Wind Dance.

Earlier in the day at Woodland I was able to creep up wind on a 10 meter LEI before the wind shifted, and eventually died......

Great spot....

Cheers,

J-dizzle

Since 25 Apr 2006
34 Posts
kALAMA, WA

PostMon Aug 28, 06 11:16 am    kalama Reply with quote

I live in kalama, and kite there when ever there is a north wind, but i have never ventured down past the parking lot, a down winder sounds like a blast is their any dead spots along the way are was it prity consistent along the way?

bdc8622

Since 31 May 2005
74 Posts
PDX

PostMon Aug 28, 06 11:20 am    downwinder Reply with quote

We had very consistent wind on Friday until we got down to the beach prior to the parking lot. The river bends back West there and you could see the sheet along the water. Otherwise it was awesome.

Would be nice to be able to do a shorter one that 7 miles but don't know of any other places to go in below Kalama. BC

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: