Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Newport

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Aug 25, 06 7:37 pm    Newport Reply with quote

Well the forecast said "abundant sun" but aparently that was just for downtown Newport, because the jetty was socked in.

No matter! There was plenty of wind for the 9m Wa-poo, and the super smooth water up against the jetty was silky soft. The swell was extra small, maybe 2.5 feet max. But even those waves were fun, especially on the skim. The jetty makes the waves very smooth and predictable. All in all, awesome spot, and the drive wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Didn't see any locals, where were you guys?! I had to tear up all that water myself... Very Happy

Foggy, but windy!
 Foggy, but windy!  Newport-Fog.jpg 

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostSat Aug 26, 06 7:17 am     Reply with quote

North coast was flirting with the fog too.
But did clear late for a nice long session.
I was on my bagged out '05 9m Fuel and
the trusty Rusty. Nice waves with a few
bigger sets.

I had some fun at the end of my run by
sitting on my board in a deeper tide pool
and looping the kite to go directly down
wind. Sit kite surfing, Unhooked of course.

I was thinking that some of those guys who
play sports in wheelchairs could do
something like that. They have strong
arms and no fear. Hell, just a body drag
through the surf would be a rush for
those guys. Anybody know someone
who would want to be a test subject?
Maybe I could figure out how to make
some kind of board for them.

-Hein

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostSat Aug 26, 06 7:57 am    hein Reply with quote

sounds very cool ,would love to see some more folks get into it ,we found some sun and tons of wind too much for the 7.0 but still had fun. An older woman approached us to get some lessons ,she watched Corinne the other day and was convinced she wants to give it a whirl .
I used to snomobile with a World class flat tracker who was paralyzed from the waist down and would he ever look cool climbing the steepest hills with legs flailing out the back and a huge grin on his face

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostMon Aug 28, 06 10:02 am     Reply with quote

Hein...

Yeah, bunch of us also scored the north coast... Area B to shipwrecks a couple of time on Sunday on 12m Torches... So bummed that I don't have my trusty 5'5" Kitewave anymore, and not sure what I am going to do with the Naish/Northsports split!

A few of us did kite on Friday night at Manzi... Personally that place is just too onshore for my taste... I have not kited there in years, and will most likely continue to steer clear of it... Anyway, a fun coast trip and we scored nice afternoon flatwater riding at Jones on Sunday on the way home. Also sounds like spots further south cleared out for some good riding.

Kite on, Jon

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Aug 28, 06 11:06 am     Reply with quote

sure global warming might displace millions of people. but more importantly, it brings more foggy days at the coast!

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Aug 28, 06 2:31 pm     Reply with quote

are you sure you didn't mean saturday? if you got more than one run in sunday i am impressed.
bambam wrote:

Area B to shipwrecks a couple of time on Sunday on 12m Torches...

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostMon Aug 28, 06 2:57 pm     Reply with quote

Whooops, yeah it was Saturday! Rumor has it that you were also seen somewhere in the vicinity... Sunday we caught Jones perfect...

I went out early on my 16m and 9'2" Hammersurf and had the farside over by the alley all to my lonesome... Hour later came in for the twinny and went back into the alley for two hours of perfection... Only counted a maximum of 15 kites actually on the water, and most of them stayed over on the Oregon side... Dang good two days of kiting.

B-Rad Jensen was k-killin it on his 7'10" surfboard...

Jon

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Aug 28, 06 3:06 pm     Reply with quote

so are you saying jones was light? what does one do with an 8ft surfboard in flat water?

are people not kiting much on weekends this summer? the gorge has been flat on many weekends, barely anyone goes to the coast, and apparently not many go to jones either. i wonder if this is considered a bad summer by most people? keep it coming.

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostMon Aug 28, 06 3:20 pm     Reply with quote

Gabe,

It was light to start, but definitely filled in nicely... Flat water is super fun to play around with a surfboard in. Jensen was ripping downwind making fully laid out surf style turns and doing some super cool spinny hop tacks... El Bradio is one of the better riders you Seattites have and rules the coast with a great backside attack that is pretty impressive to watch. I could have been on a 12m at the end, but was lazy and just stayed out super juiced on the 16m. Brad stayed on his surfboard and wanted to see how much was too much as well.

I was out early on my longboard also dialing in the upwind hop tack thing, hanging five, doing some fun tail sink jibes where I almost put the nose of the board back through my lines, and riding it on the nose with the fins in the air. Kiting does not always have to be agro down the line wave style to be fun. Dinking around in light winds and hanging with friends also has its place.

I do agree that the crowds have not been all that bad anywhere this summer. Stevensvilleburg has been going off mid week, yet there have only been maybe 12-15 kites out on any given night....weird!

Jon

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Aug 28, 06 3:29 pm     Reply with quote

check the finless longboard spinning action in the middle of the video on the bottom of this page:

http://surfingwithkites.com/

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostMon Aug 28, 06 5:38 pm     Reply with quote

So glad to see that kiting is a board sport.
My next project is a lightweight wakeskate.
Swell Piggy is almost done.

I'm a strapless junkie!

My foot still hurts but I think it's from trying
to land ollies.

-Hein

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Aug 28, 06 6:11 pm     Reply with quote

strapless ollie info attached

part2.JPG 
   Picture1.jpg 

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostTue Aug 29, 06 8:10 pm    Re: Newport Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
Well the forecast said "abundant sun" but aparently that was just for downtown Newport, because the jetty was socked in.

No matter! There was plenty of wind for the 9m Wa-poo, and the super smooth water up against the jetty was silky soft. The swell was extra small, maybe 2.5 feet max. But even those waves were fun, especially on the skim. The jetty makes the waves very smooth and predictable. All in all, awesome spot, and the drive wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Didn't see any locals, where were you guys?! I had to tear up all that water myself... Very Happy

Oh man was it! My family and I went to Beverly Beach and camped over the weekend. Super nice camp spot AND kite spot. We showed up late Sat and the fog cleared. Fun 15m sesh out in front of the campground. Sunday I tried the jetty at Newport. There wasn't enough viz to see your nwkite.com sticker... I had to walk down to the waterline to see if anyone was out. Once in awhile someone would appear right near shore and I could vaguely see that they had 16's/15's etc. so I rigged. It was a lonely and blind session. Didn't see any kiters on the water and ended up south of South Beach somewhere lost in the fog. I haven't seen the Newport break for years and was feeling sketched out on the outside as heaving swells macked me. Fun and adventurous but I returned to Bev Beach for a sunny post-sesh sesh. BTW Neptunes was outrageous! Huge rollers in the sun w/o any wind to please the surfinging sensibilities (I didn't go but wanted to check it out because there were many spots up and down the coast that were really nice and sunny).

Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostTue Aug 29, 06 8:28 pm     Reply with quote

Hey Barfly, which kite were you on? We were out there for multiple sessions both at the bridge and the Witching Post (further downwind).

Steve

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostWed Aug 30, 06 6:02 am     Reply with quote

I was riding a 15m SS Fuel, orange and black. Over the weekend, I saw a red/blue Boxer and a couple of campers with Fuels. Sunday, there were some people out on bright yellow and white kites.

Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostWed Aug 30, 06 7:12 am     Reply with quote

On sunday we were on the blue 9M fuels, right before the couple came out on the yellow and white kites. We weren't camping though just day-using.

Quite the crowd of camping tourists under the bridge in front of Beverly Beach campground. And when you're launching they'll come at you like zombies, standing just downwind of your kite. For that reason, I usually walk upwind away from the hordes when launching or landing. This is a spot where we need to be really careful about avoiding people. A couple incidents would be all that it would take.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: