Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Hood River Cable Park - "Official" Informational
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostFri Aug 19, 11 2:17 pm     Reply with quote

SalmonSlayer wrote:
pdxmonkeyboy wrote:
Are people so excited about their little cable toy thing that they are forgetting that they are building an 80+ room hotel on the waterfront? Big hotel, plenty of parking, improved water access. You think the sand bar is a zoo now? Is there anyway we can manage to build a factory outlet strip mall as well?

In some respects is is inevitable. But its hard not to think that constructing a hotel down there won't change the waterfront forever. It was always kind of nice to get out of town, go down to the waterfront and leave some of the summertime circus behind.

as far as oxygenating the water.. don't fall over patting yourselves on the back about entraining o2 in the water. lack of riparian veg, storm water impacts, and scaring the hell out of any fish that may backwater in that area far outweigh any benefit from increased o2....

Just my 2 cents. I don't live in HR so I don't feel its correct for me to comment at public hearing. Its not my home, but I do work there and spend allot of time there.

I was reading this these posts and waiting for someone to call a spade a spade. I think the cable park is a great addition. However, trying to boast about a relatively minor environmental benefit without balancing it against the negative environmental impacts is a bit disingenuous in my opinion. Does anyone really thunk there wont be a negative environmental impact from this project? Just admit that it will have a negative impact, but, suits your need so you dont care. I will admit that I dont care anymore than I care about burning fossil fuels driving around to get some wind.

Also, how many of you would be jumping up and down about this project if it did not include a cable park? I am guessing about zero. I hope you remember your pro development stance when another development project comes along that fits someones need other than your own, but, I doubt you will.

i look forward to giving this park a try and getting my kids riding it too. Mostly I think it will be a fun venue to watch the skilled wakestyle riders show off their skills while I am sitting down with a cold beer in my hand.

THANK YOU!

I think the point I was trying to get across was that there are soo many people jizzing themselves over a cable park that they don't realize or thought of the full ramifications of the development. That is all. Funny how all you people were sooo oppposed to the big development on the other side of the river at an even more contaminated site but now..with a cable park. Hell YES!

Just saying careful what you wish for that is all. I'm sure there are several families that will enjoy the cable park. There will also be several families that own small hotels and guest houses in HR that will see there business dwindle. Don't believe me? ..go take a drive to the HR wall mart and count how many cars are in the parking lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvAw2VFR4Y&feature=PlayList&p=FB7233C37686AC79&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=34

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostFri Aug 19, 11 2:21 pm     Reply with quote

Dude, you're just an extremist who likes to generalize. It gets old.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostFri Aug 19, 11 2:41 pm     Reply with quote

Sorry for voicing concern over the fate of your waterfront or giving a fuck about your natural resources. I don't have any knowledge, skills, or experience in any of these matters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvAw2VFR4Y&feature=PlayList&p=FB7233C37686AC79&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=34

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostFri Aug 19, 11 2:42 pm     Reply with quote

Apology accepted! Razz

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostFri Aug 19, 11 2:48 pm     Reply with quote

Now go masturbate to pictures of cable parks Smile

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostFri Aug 19, 11 6:28 pm     Reply with quote

Here are some photos of cable parks. Wish I had better shots, but here is a better website that you can view for more realistic images of what a professional cablepark looks like.
Ski Rixen and OWC are some of the more popular parks in the US, but there are so many more (around 2-300 more) in Germany alone that represent a much better way to create and manage a park for not only the riders, but other recreational users and families.
In my previous occupation years ago, I managed international sales for a wakeboard manufacturer and frequented Germany, France, and the UK, visiting many different cableparks. They are balls out a big time deal in all other places around the world.
Here is an example of a very successful business that runs many different parks arond Germany.
See :[url] http://www.wasserski-langenfeld.de/photogalleries_en.html[/url]

Here are some photos of other successful cableparks, and even a special one for Monkeyboy to use.

Start_wakeboard_cable.jpg 
   cable park tower.jpg 
   langenfeld 1.JPG 
   cable park overview.jpg 
   cable park overview 2.jpg 
   brazil cablepark.jpg 
and lastly, something for monkeyboy to get excited about.
 and lastly, something for monkeyboy to get excited about.  something for monkey boy to do at the cablepark.jpg 

www.Purestokesports.com

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Aug 19, 11 7:49 pm     Reply with quote

Monkeyboy is for surely taking it all back now, look at that kneesome!!!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
scooter

Since 23 Apr 2005
99 Posts
hood River

PostFri Aug 19, 11 8:13 pm     Reply with quote

im with monkey boy. The environmental impact should at least be discussed. I don't think we should be developing this area any more than it has been already. lots of people enjoy that bay for kayaking and SUP'ing and should not be designated for only cable park use. I don't think this will be as easy a sell as ya'll think it will.

I'm not trying to pee in your cheerios but there are other opinions that need to be considered.

Is this the Gorge or Disneyland cracked out on redbull. I guess well find out.

C Johnson

Since 17 Apr 2009
853 Posts
Seattle
Opinionated

PostFri Aug 19, 11 10:07 pm     Reply with quote

Hope the whole project becomes a reality.

As an out of towner. Im frustrated with the lack of available rooms without reservations. And a cable park eliminates the skunk factor after a 4.5hr drive. Currently none of the hotels are in walking distance from downtown or the event site either. Sounds like a great way to solve 3 serious problems for potential tourists.

Are we really that concerned with the pollution factor of a hotel!?! Are we forgetting what is already up stream?!?

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostFri Aug 19, 11 10:10 pm     Reply with quote

scooter wrote:
im with monkey boy. The environmental impact should at least be discussed. I don't think we should be developing this area any more than it has been already. lots of people enjoy that bay for kayaking and SUP'ing and should not be designated for only cable park use. I don't think this will be as easy a sell as ya'll think it will.

I'm not trying to pee in your cheerios but there are other opinions that need to be considered.

Just to clear the air on this, the developers have representatives researching the environmental and socio/economic impact of this proposal.
They do not have plans to come to a small town and push their agenda onto the local community. They have been spending a great deal of time working with both the City of Hood River and the Port of Hood River in determining the best course of action in regards to how they can best utilize the development of their property and the future of the surrounding properties.

Considering that the majority of the Port of Hood River waterfront properties are specifically/primarily designated for commercial or light industrial economic development, it also means that the main intention for these properties is to be developed with the specific intention of bringing in business or factory tenants or landowners.

Would you rather have a hotel with a restaurant and bar, designed around the parameters of a sports/recreational waterfront program, or would you rather see large white industrial/office buildings all along the boat basin waterfront?

The rest of the Port properties are eventually going to be built up around the basis of industrial and corporate tenants, so if anything the Naito development would at least save/protect some of the property (most specifically the boat basin) for locals to continue to use for recreational purposes. (yes, you can still use the water for paddling when the cable is not in use).

I'd like to see at least one of the Port properties developed and managed with a specific sports/recreation focus that the local community could use.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and that is the beauty of this forum. Let's not knock someone for being stoked about something like this. With the passion and education of our local recreational, economic and environmental organizations I am sure that all of the necessary environmental and economic details will be very thoroughly and professionally researched.

www.Purestokesports.com

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostSat Aug 20, 11 8:30 am     Reply with quote

There are so many places where people can engage in the other activities like kayaking and SUPing. If we had a cable park somewhere else then yeah this might be overkill, but this will be the only cable park on the west coast north of San Diego (if they build theirs). I can't believe all the environmental discussions about this even though studies are being done when hardly anyone cared to go to the meeting about the nuclear plant upstream.

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSat Aug 20, 11 8:56 am     Reply with quote

scooter wrote:

YES PLEASE DONT TAKE AWAY THE ONLY SPOT IN THE ENTIRE RIVER WHERE ONE CAN SUP AND KAYAK IN SHIT WATER. oh no. Disneyland cracked out on redbull?? I think your referring to magic mountain.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DROCK999

Since 31 May 2007
852 Posts
Left Coast
Opinionated

PostSat Aug 20, 11 10:59 am     Reply with quote

Inept_Fun wrote:
scooter wrote:

YES PLEASE DONT TAKE AWAY THE ONLY SPOT IN THE ENTIRE RIVER WHERE ONE CAN SUP AND KAYAK IN SHIT WATER. oh no. Disneyland cracked out on redbull?? I think your referring to magic mountain.

Seriously, go SUP or kayak around the hook/wells, much better spot. Working in a shop any day the wind goes away (like today) visitors go into full panic mode thinking there's nothing to do (which they're completely wrong) but this is just one more activity that can draw more dollars into the local economy. ALSO a new hotel would be nice since vacant rooms can be hard to come by during the summer.

kitezilla

Since 22 Jun 2006
453 Posts
gorge
Obsessed

PostSun Aug 21, 11 7:24 am     Reply with quote

I wonder if they have considered diverting a a few CFS of water from the Hood River, through a culvert pipe into the basin, to keep the water in the basin fresh?

wakeup

Since 11 Sep 2005
328 Posts
always
Obsessed

PostSun Aug 21, 11 7:59 am     Reply with quote

there is already flow through there from under the sandbar road

sirmichaelo

Since 26 Mar 2010
353 Posts
Maui
Obsessed

PostSun Aug 21, 11 6:49 pm     Reply with quote

Two thumbs up just for catering to our surf junkie brains. I have to agree with monkey boy though - if this was JUST a hotel being built, everyone would be up in arms about it. But throw in a oooooohhh cable park and we're lining up to volunteer with a shovel.

But c'mon, it's a cable park. Friggin awesome. No time to be a water-hugger on this one. Or a concerned adult. It's time to go surf.

Now that we got this project moving along, it's time to take a serious look at the project we all really really want:

The double overhead wave machine.

Or maybe something that would send a mini tsunami down the Columbia every 5 minutes. That would work too.

I'll bring my screwdriver and bench saw. Who's in it with me??

Life is too short for second chances, although we do get many of them.

Last edited by sirmichaelo on Sun Aug 21, 11 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

consumer

Since 28 Nov 2010
406 Posts
banned
Obsessed

PostSun Aug 21, 11 8:44 pm     Reply with quote

Do buildings situated on the waterfront dump directly into the river?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 4 of 12

Jump to: