Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Hood River Cable Park - "Official" Informational
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostWed Sep 21, 11 9:26 pm    Re: Cble park OMG Reply with quote

Damn, I wish I would have read this earlier and realized you were the same person in today's meeting so I could have properly educated you on the joys of this type of board riding. Open your mind and please stop being so arrogant and ignorant.

laurieb wrote:
AND I just looooove the dudes whipping up animosity between WS & KB. Hello lots of windsurfers kiteboard.........no comment on kiteboarders windsurfing..Smile))) I don't care about the hotel, but boyz & girlz can't you see you are being played like a violin ??????

Are KBers REALLY are a bunch of brain dead monkeys stoned out on adrenaline.............Say it isn't so...........PUHLEEZE

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostWed Sep 21, 11 10:38 pm    Re: Cable park OMG Reply with quote

laurieb wrote:
Dear Mr McElwee

The video of a dude in full kiteboarding paraphernalia being towed around by a cable is an insult to anyone who has ever taken on the wind and the waves available in the natural world. Please save us from this pathetic travesty.

Your mindset is eerily similar to the folks that opposed snow kiting a couple of winters ago. Closed minded, reactionary and uninformed.

Inept_Fun wrote:
Its called wakeboarding and its the reason kiteboarding even exists.

Really??

tonyb

Since 09 Oct 2006
973 Posts
Stevenson in the summer & SPI in the winter
Bolstad Clan

PostThu Sep 22, 11 5:25 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
Naito's cable 'park' is a truly lame idea totally at odds with the athleticism and outdoor challenges of the Gorge. It is an 'amusement park' type of 'ride' that belongs (if it 'belongs' anywhere) in an area where there is nothing to do and nothing to look at.

Laurieb you need to take a "ride" on the cable and see if you can hold out for more than ten minutes. Wakeboarding is a real sport, with real athletes, that takes real skill and it gives you very real tired sore muscles. It ain't no fairground "Wheel o' Death".

I guess you could argue it's a "ride" the same way taking the chairlift to the top of the mountain is a ride and then letting gravity pull you back down to the bottom. No effort or skill required there either! If you're saying that our sports should entirely reflect the environment we live in maybe we should only be hiking and fishing.

It's a shame that people who can't do something look at that sport or activity as lame or easy. Part of being a good athlete is making something look effortless. Even a well executed raley that has good extension, height and distance is a difficult skill to learn.

Cable parks provide an outlet for kids and adults to get outside, hang with friends, express themselves and push themselves to progress. Go try one and stop being a hater.

Progress and change are inexorable. People just need to work with it to steer things in a positive direction. If our parents and grandparents and their grandparents had always said no to everything we would still be spending 90% of our waking hours trying not to starve. I'm glad we have roads and water systems, and electricity and windmills, ski slopes, smartphones and kiteboarding. If you don't like this kind of stuff move to Afghanistan and enjoy the rocks.

Tony

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1804 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostThu Sep 22, 11 5:53 am     Reply with quote

<<Cable parks provide an outlet for kids and adults to get outside, hang with friends, express themselves and push themselves to progress.>>

Yep

Well said

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostThu Sep 22, 11 6:34 am     Reply with quote

[quote="tonyb"]
Quote:
I guess you could argue it's a "ride" the same way taking the chairlift to the top of the mountain is a ride and then letting gravity pull you back down to the bottom.
Tony

All excellent points, Tony.
This statement reminded me of a time 2 1/2 decades ago when I naively sat on the beach at the marina in awe of my new love of a sport that "didn't consume any fossil fuels". Powered by just the wind!!! Ooooh.
This was a few weeks before I purchased a F250 van and started burning $150 in gas for 12 weekends every summer racing down I-5.

tonyb

Since 09 Oct 2006
973 Posts
Stevenson in the summer & SPI in the winter
Bolstad Clan

PostThu Sep 22, 11 8:07 am     Reply with quote

I hear ya Wylie!

Yeah, our wind powered sport eats up a lot of resources. Kite materials, carbon fiber boards, neoprene, car/rv/truck/jetski support, chasing wind, shipping our gear from China, Malaysia, Europe, and North Bonneville. Checking the wind on ikitesurf and all the technology that is behind being able to do that.

We use a lot of resources. But for the 3 or 4 hours I'm on the water each session I'm not polluting. And then we do beach cleanups and raise money for cancer and kids, and save someones life, and make a difference on some wayward soul. And maybe we cut back on TV and electricity somewhere else, or don't eat steak for dinner anymore and buy organic.

Some people are hogs, some are kicking the can down the road, some are carbon neutral, some are making a real difference. Just don't call the kettle black because all of us are consumers of a finite amount of resources.

Sorry for the detour there...

Back to the cable park. We stopped at the Wake Ranch Cable Park in New Market Ontario last week on the our tour and spent all day riding with the crew there. They have a small two tower system that you ride for 8 minutes then switch off. The owner of the place says his electricity cost for running the cable for 8 hours non-stop was $20.00 per day. And that was buying from the wind farm and hydro, no fossil fuel usage. In the end the cable park may be more environmentally friendly than a summer of kiteboarding.

Tony

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu Sep 22, 11 9:16 am     Reply with quote

I gotta say, the Iwindsurf thread is pretty funny. Nothing wrong with having an opinion, but the majority of naysayers there seem to agree on two things:

1. They don't believe in power or cable driven sports, so a cable park is wrong. BUT, my guess is a good chunk of them ski. Of course chairlifts don't use power or cables. Rolling Eyes

2. They insist the cable park won't get any use and be a waste in this economy. BUT, they also insist the heavy useage will generate parking concerns. Rolling Eyes

Seriously, I think it boils down to "I won't use this so I don't like it." mentality for most of what I've read. Not to say there aren't valid concerns, certainly there are. But by and large I think this will be a great addition to the HR scene and cement HR's position as a sports minded destination.

The basin is already unattractive, and will possibly get worse due to reduced water flow when and if the sandbar seals off the entrance . I'm not saying that WILL happen, but it is certainly a possibility. IMHO, having a local business with a direct interest in keeping the basin clean and attractive will be beneficial economically, environmentally and aesthetically.

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostThu Sep 22, 11 10:46 am     Reply with quote

Maybe this Laurie B character is just a bitch?

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Sep 22, 11 3:52 pm    Re: Cable park OMG Reply with quote

Inept_Fun wrote:

SalmonSlayer wrote:

Really??

Really? You gotta give credit to the sports that came first and there is no doubt that wakeboarding helped influence kiteboarding from the very beginning.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DROCK999

Since 31 May 2007
852 Posts
Left Coast
Opinionated

PostThu Sep 22, 11 4:33 pm    Re: Cable park OMG Reply with quote

Inept_Fun wrote:
Inept_Fun wrote:

SalmonSlayer wrote:

Really??

Really? You gotta give credit to the sports that came first and there is no doubt that wakeboarding helped influence kiteboarding from the very beginning.

Yup, what do you think Shannon Best was doing before he started up Best, or what Liquid Force was making before kites?

BigR

Since 05 Jul 2005
372 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostFri Sep 23, 11 2:26 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
Yup, what do you think Shannon Best was doing before he started up Best

He was a washed up ex athlete with no future in professional wakeboarding who saw another rapidly growing sport and hitched a ride onto its coat tails.

BigR

Since 05 Jul 2005
372 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostFri Sep 23, 11 2:30 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
Inept_Fun wrote:

We were kiting on directional surfboards long long before anyone married a kite to a wakeboard. Thats why they called it kitesurfing way before kiteboarding...........

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Sep 23, 11 8:05 am     Reply with quote

Keep on topic plz

Uglykiter

Since 15 Jun 2007
26 Posts

PostFri Sep 23, 11 1:40 pm     Reply with quote

FWIW, the vocal opposition on the iWindsurf board certainly does not represent the windsurfing community as a whole.

Neither do I, for that matter, but I can say that myself and more than a few other windsurfers are completely in support of a cable park project in the boat basin. Can't wait.

tonyc

Since 18 May 2010
63 Posts
Hood River

PostFri Sep 23, 11 11:47 pm    Re: Cable park OMG Reply with quote

Inept_Fun wrote:
Inept_Fun wrote:

SalmonSlayer wrote:

Really??

agreed ian

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostSat Sep 24, 11 6:14 pm     Reply with quote

and the reason wakeboarding exists is from us skurfing years before twin tip was a word!!!!!

DROCK999

Since 31 May 2007
852 Posts
Left Coast
Opinionated

PostSat Sep 24, 11 8:14 pm     Reply with quote

Getting this thread back on subject. After going to the port meeting last wednesday I think that this is a really cool idea to help improve the waterfront. One of the best ways to let the port know that there is support for the cable, people are always more vocal to hate on something. Stole this from the iwindsurf thread: "You can always submit public comment to the Port office, at porthr@gorge.net. Be sure to include something that says you want your comments included in the public record. The Port Director, Michael McElwee, can be reached at mmcelwee@portofhoodriver.com."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 8 of 12

Jump to: