Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Naish Alien mutant review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostTue Aug 22, 06 10:40 pm    Naish Alien mutant review Reply with quote

Has anyone heard anything or had experience with the Naish Alien mutant board? I'm considering getting a mutant for wave riding so I can improve on my twintip, without completely giving up tricks. Any feedback is much appreciated.

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostWed Aug 23, 06 6:38 am     Reply with quote

I don't know about the naish. But at padre this spring dole had a mutant he said was goning into production. I never got a chance to ride it because everyone loved it and it was hard to get a hold of. It was supose to be a slingshot 07

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostWed Aug 23, 06 8:16 am     Reply with quote

Slingshot's Circuit board from '06 is somewhat of a mutant, but it seems more for boosting big airs on flat water than waves (at least from the shape/stance/fin setup). Are you perhaps referring to next year's version of that or was the board you saw pretty assymetrical for wave riding?

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostWed Aug 23, 06 8:59 am     Reply with quote

It is next years wich should be coming out soon. It was a wave board more like a small surfboard with surf fins on back(i think quad) and two wake style fins on the nose.

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Aug 23, 06 9:28 am     Reply with quote

i heard it was called the fuse, or maybe fusion, and that it was very very nice. but, you could just take a TT and surfboard, and rotate b/w them, leaving one of the beach. no compromises.

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostWed Aug 23, 06 10:22 am     Reply with quote

Yeah, it's called the Fuse. I remembered about it shortly after posting. From pictures of the Alien it also has a quad fin setup on back with surf like curved tail (for digging into those waves), and 2 fins on front with more blunt TT style nose. The Fuse I think is pointy on both sides. A Fuse would be nice to have, but I don't want to wait for it and have to pay $700, which is probably how much it'll cost. This year's gear is a lot cheaper and readily available at this point.

Gabe, I could go with an SRT, but I'd probably want straps on a kitesurfboard (at least for a while) so that I can jump, and it seems that jibing with that setup can be somewhat of a pain. Any thoughts?

Not sure if I'd want to leave a board on the beach and switch, but you could probably pick a surfstyle vs. TT depending on size of waves and wind.

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Aug 23, 06 11:13 am     Reply with quote

do not be embarrassed to fall into the water and manually switch the board on your feet. do long tacks.

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostWed Aug 23, 06 11:26 am     Reply with quote

I'm never embarassed to fall in the water...especially if it's a nice face plant which results in => Shocked

Thanks for the input.

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostWed Aug 23, 06 11:31 am     Reply with quote

The other tack on the coast is just to ride out toeside through the break... Actually if your doing a downwinder, coming at wave toeside makes it easy to rip your first top turn as a change of direction to get into the wave. I rarely jibe my directional on the coast, but it is a good skill to become an all around better rider. For me coming from the windsurfing side of things, jibing came naturally.

Gabe is right, why compromise in the waves with a mutant? The mutant design is quite old, and is in itself a compromise. Very few companies are making them anymore, and even fewer riders are on them. Blowhard has an interesting concept, and I finally got to watch him ride awhile back...ripping man, just ripping on that funny looking stick of his.

But in the end if you want the real deal feel in surf, you need the volume...

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostWed Aug 23, 06 1:33 pm     Reply with quote

There is a misfish on the classified section. I love mine and I hear they are tougher then srt.

tautologies

Since 24 Aug 2006
602 Posts
Oahu
Addicted

PostThu Aug 24, 06 12:44 am     Reply with quote

Hey, some of my friends have them and will not let them go. Upon hearing about Naish stopping to produce them they bought an extra one. To me that says a lot.

I talked to one of the guys in the shop, and they will get a container which they will sell for super cheap. I am first in line though. Give Naish Hawaii a call, and ask. Smile

Alex

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostThu Aug 24, 06 6:02 am    MR up wind Reply with quote

Hey,
the tranny assym twintip is not for slow wave riding ,,but it will do it ,And no worrys about spin-out down the line or holding your position.
It's just for Florence ,there's no reason to stay to windward most everywhere else .
But if you like to stay to windward ,I've never ridden anything easier
and I've made some big ass boards Embarassed
I just sold my first board to the least likely guy My longtime friend and mentor for wave-kiting Norman Bolduc of Bandon ,he wanted a light wind board but not the Wave Scooter so I built him one ,and then he tried the Wave-Scooter and now wants that even more

mikes

Since 13 Mar 2005
90 Posts
B'Ham

PostThu Aug 24, 06 7:57 am     Reply with quote

genek wrote:

Gabe, I could go with an SRT, but I'd probably want straps on a kitesurfboard (at least for a while) so that I can jump, and it seems that jibing with that setup can be somewhat of a pain. Any thoughts?

I've been on the SRT a few times, sweet ride. Jibing isn't that hard but takes practice, the bigger the board the easier. Also riding it strapless a few times to practice jibing would be a good idea, so your not tripping over straps and/or trying to get you feet in them.

Tips: bring the kite up so there's less weight on the board, keep your feet near the centerline, and be quick about switching your stance

Mike S

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostThu Aug 24, 06 8:24 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys. Glad to hear that people like the Aliens (that's what I heard as well). Waiting on mine in the mail...let's hope it gets here by the weekend and the wind and wave gods cooperate. I decided I wasn't ready to give up tricks completely so I went this route. I can always evolve to surf boards over time if necessary.

Let's hope the wind & wave gods cooperate this weekend. What's with this pattern of weird wind on the weekends with better flow during the week? Are they trying to oppress the working man Question

Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostThu Aug 24, 06 7:13 pm     Reply with quote

Jibing the SRT is actually really fun. Lately I've been practicing my escape turn to toeside headed back in. It feels wierd as I'm a regular foot surfer but I figure its gonna be a good skill to have on the bigger days. Tried one of those Sky tacks today but didn't come anywhere close.

Fall is in the air! If we're lucky some nice long period swells will hit before the N winds are over.

Hope to see some of you guys down here this weekend. Sounds like Seaside and the N Coast are gonna be a zoo with the Hood to Coast.

Steve

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostFri Aug 25, 06 7:18 am    the lucky winner is Reply with quote

Normy went old school and then new

norm.JPG 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: