Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Wakeboarding + Kite = new invention?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Aug 22, 06 8:20 am    Wakeboarding + Kite = new invention? Reply with quote

My friend who lives on the Upper Willamette said he saw some guys out playing with this device he hadn't seen before. He described it as a normal wakeboarding setup, except attached to the handle was a 2 line kite that had an inflatable LE but no struts. There was a couple of big fins on top which seems to be there to keep it flying straight.

Apparently the wakeboarder was able to get huge air and glidey landings just by hitting the wake.

Anyone heard of this? is this some type of new invention being prototyped in the Willamette? or is it just some guys goofing around with an old 2 line?

NateDogg

Since 05 Mar 2005
627 Posts
I caught your mom on
cineaptic.com

PostTue Aug 22, 06 8:44 am     Reply with quote

I forget what they called it, but I have a friend at school who contributed to the business plan of the company that developed the whole setup. I think they're out of Lake O. When I first heard about it it seemed like just another way to kook out wakeboarding and kiteboarding at the same time...

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Aug 22, 06 8:55 am     Reply with quote

NateDogg wrote:
I forget what they called it, but I have a friend at school who contributed to the business plan of the company that developed the whole setup. I think they're out of Lake O. When I first heard about it it seemed like just another way to kook out wakeboarding and kiteboarding at the same time...

yeah it does sound a little goofy, he said the guy would look like an ape hanging on the bar when he jumped. I'd still be interested to try it though, if not just for a few laughs.

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Aug 22, 06 9:18 am     Reply with quote

http://www.wakekite.com/

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostTue Aug 22, 06 9:41 am     Reply with quote

Wow, that's neato! Amery did that! Wink

jbruxer

Since 24 Jul 2005
398 Posts
Beaverton, OR
Obsessed

PostTue Aug 22, 06 12:03 pm     Reply with quote

At first, I thought "what the hell are they thinking," Confused but after I saw the video it looked pretty cool! Surprised

Having said that, I would still like to be able to drive the boat at the same time! Very Happy

I wonder what the price will be? Here's what I figure:
$1000 - wake kite
$50000 - X Star
$1000 - gas for the summer

or

$1800 - 2 kite quiver
$200 - gas (depending on where you live)

hmm....decisions, decisions Rolling Eyes

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Aug 22, 06 12:35 pm     Reply with quote

jbruxer wrote:
$200 - gas (depending on where you live)

Damn you got some secret spot in Beaverton you ain't telling anyone about? $200 covers like a month of gas for me, even in the fairly fuel efficient subaru. Sad

Where did you find the video? I couldn't get anywhere on the site past the main menu (everything is coming soon...)

jbruxer

Since 24 Jul 2005
398 Posts
Beaverton, OR
Obsessed

PostTue Aug 22, 06 12:41 pm     Reply with quote

As sad as this is to say, $200 might even be a little high. I just have been to busy to do much riding. Crying or Very sad

Once the main into loads, click on the "Video" link under the main picture. I think they have an extremely slow server though. It took me forever to load.

Doing any kind of handle pass looks a little difficult since you would actually have to pass it over your head!

jbruxer

Since 24 Jul 2005
398 Posts
Beaverton, OR
Obsessed

PostTue Aug 22, 06 12:43 pm     Reply with quote

Lake Nike does have its windy days! Cool

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Aug 22, 06 1:02 pm     Reply with quote

man from the video it looks goofy... I think you guys are right its like the worst of both worlds... very complicated, very dangly, not much air. I thought they'd be going way bigger than that.

And was it just me or was that boat hauling ass? It looked like it was going faster than wakeboard speeds. Probably needs to go pretty fast to get a lot of height out of that (relatively) small kite.

Teague

Since 10 Jul 2005
114 Posts
Really Windy Places
Stoked

PostTue Aug 22, 06 3:09 pm     Reply with quote

Not very eventful from the vid. Doesn't look like they can do any tricks either but dangle at low altitude. It's obvious the inventors of that thing have never seen the footage of people towing kiteboarders up 70+ feet in the air with a jetski or snowkiters up even higher with snowmobiles. Shocked

kt

Since 16 Mar 2005
759 Posts
Portland, Or
Opinionated

PostTue Aug 22, 06 4:21 pm     Reply with quote

if i remember correctly, this thing was banned on lakes/resevoirs out in eastern oregon because someone was seriously hurt from them.

http://www.boatoregon.com/News/2006/KiteAccident.html

kt

borely

Since 05 Jul 2006
23 Posts
MN

PostTue Aug 22, 06 4:24 pm     Reply with quote

teague, there is only 1 snowkiter going 70ft+ AP.

Teague

Since 10 Jul 2005
114 Posts
Really Windy Places
Stoked

PostTue Aug 22, 06 8:19 pm     Reply with quote

borely wrote:
teague, there is only 1 snowkiter going 70ft+ AP.

I recall reading an article in one of the kite mags of a snowkiter being towed up that high behind a snowmobile. Must have been him. Scary!

Teague

Since 10 Jul 2005
114 Posts
Really Windy Places
Stoked

PostTue Aug 22, 06 8:23 pm     Reply with quote

kt wrote:
if i remember correctly, this thing was banned on lakes/resevoirs out in eastern oregon because someone was seriously hurt from them.

http://www.boatoregon.com/News/2006/KiteAccident.html

kt

This article is for a different sport. I think it is talking about those inflatable mattress-like tubes that riders lay on while being towed behind a boat. They are shapped like a kite so they fly up behind with the rider/s on top. Many accidents with these I have heard so they discontinued them I think.

crucifunkin

Since 31 Aug 2005
37 Posts

PostWed Aug 23, 06 5:52 pm     Reply with quote

If you had the ability to trim the kite it would make jumping way better. I'm sure most kiteboarders could make the necesarry modifications with old gear to make that thing go really big.

Sol-flyer

Since 21 Mar 2006
1280 Posts
Dude, where's my Bus?
Otto Mann

PostThu Aug 24, 06 9:52 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
This article is for a different sport. I think it is talking about those inflatable mattress-like tubes that riders lay on while being towed behind a boat. They are shapped like a kite so they fly up behind with the rider/s on top. Many accidents with these I have heard so they discontinued them I think.

Cool we've been hassled by the local fuzz, but its obviuos that kites and kite-tubes are not related.

IMG_1604.JPG 
   IMG_1629.JPG 
   IMG_1622.JPG 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: