Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Different fins for SRT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostFri Aug 18, 06 9:20 pm    Different fins for SRT Reply with quote

I'm interested in trying some different sized fins on my 5-11 SRT. Anyone know of a source of fins with some size and shape choices that will fit?

The stock fins almost seem too big like they have more bite than needed. Thinking about how a smaller center fin would feel, or side fins with less chord width. Time to experiment!

STeve

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostSat Aug 19, 06 11:51 am     Reply with quote

Hi Steve :

Drop by 2nd Wind Sports next time you are in Hood River.

We have a dozen or so Curtis and Orca kite surf fins available for sale, both Assym and Symmetrical styles.

These are new fins for sale in the $10-15 price range (singlebolt through-hole style fin mount).

Thanks
Pepi

www.Purestokesports.com

Sol-flyer

Since 21 Mar 2006
1280 Posts
Dude, where's my Bus?
Otto Mann

PostSat Aug 19, 06 8:15 pm     Reply with quote

try
http://www.dovetechaquasport.com/

there cheap, and turn around time is pretty quick...

mikes

Since 13 Mar 2005
90 Posts
B'Ham

PostSun Aug 20, 06 10:16 am     Reply with quote

Pepi

Do they make any with enough rake to shed weeds? Jon and I may be needing some mini-tuttle fins this fall when the eel grass fills B'Ham Bay

Thanks
Mike

Pepi wrote:
Hi Steve :

Drop by 2nd Wind Sports next time you are in Hood River.

We have a dozen or so Curtis and Orca kite surf fins available for sale, both Assym and Symmetrical styles.

These are new fins for sale in the $10-15 price range (singlebolt through-hole style fin mount).

Thanks
Pepi

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostSun Aug 20, 06 8:50 pm     Reply with quote

Oh man, leave it up to you B'ham boys to have to bring up a question like that.

I just looked over the fins stock and we currently have a fin size range from 3" to 6.5" of symmetrical fins and a miscellaneous mix of assymetrical fins in the 1" to 5" size range.
I can't guarantee that we'll have much inventory come this Fall, fins have been moving fairly fast off the shelf this lately.

Give me (or, Mike or Matt) a shout at the shop when you get a chance and we'll do our best to get you set up.
(541)386-4464

Thanks
Pepi

www.Purestokesports.com

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostMon Aug 21, 06 3:44 pm     Reply with quote

Steve,

I'm curious what you would be trying to achieve by changing your fin configuration/size. It seems 20+ years of surfboard development would suggest the thruster configuration works well (of course the quad is coming back). Im just curious what about the SRT's performance you would like to improve on.

I notice a lot of drag when not on a wave. I can feel it in my quads after a good long day on the srt compared to my TT. different fins might change that.

I got out for 1.5 or 2 hours sunday at Newport S. Jetty on my 15 for some super clean wave riding. Down in front of the day use area there were some nice head high plus sets coming through.

let us know what you find in your experimentation

Ryan

Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostMon Aug 21, 06 7:43 pm     Reply with quote

Mainly, I'd like the board to be a little looser on the cutback and not feel quite so "tracky". Reduce drag but still have enough fin to point and not cavitate on hard bottom turns. So I'm thinking of trying smaller fins on the sides or the middle fin.

Really, you kited yesterday at South Beach? I had a music gig up in Gleneden Beach, and it was glassy up there all day. From the jetty anemometer graph it looks like it peaked at about 11 knots - man that's light - sure you're not talkin about Saturday? By the time I got to South Beach Saturday the wind had died, so we went north to the "Witching Post" instead. The 9 Fuel worked good there with the SRT.

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostMon Aug 21, 06 7:59 pm     Reply with quote

yup sunday, Iwindsurf graph shows about 16 at 1 pm. Im 140 lbs...145 wet so it doesnt take much on an SRT.

let us know what you find to make the SRT a bit looser. I have my strap in the last set up inserts to get all the way back on the board i think that helps to keep the board loose. If you dont have it set up that way you might try it. taking the center fin out would make it super loose i think.

I drove down to S. beach sat through the 'witching post' Lincoln City and Tillamook. it was windy all the way down then when i got to S Beach my brother had just got back from the water...he was on a 13 when it just died. guess it stayed windy up north all afternoon. i just couldnt get back in the car and drive more.

Ryan

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostSat Aug 26, 06 9:21 am    HEY Reply with quote

Steve ,
come on down we also have locale out of the fog and in the surf where there is a peeler ,I 'll let you take a scooter for a spin ,
John

Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostSat Aug 26, 06 6:48 pm     Reply with quote

I need to make a trip down to Flo's at least once this season. I'll let you know when I'm headin down. Any good sun holes down there today? We were riding in and out of the fog till later in the day when it backed off nicely. A little bigger windswell today. MaƱana?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: