Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Crescent or Odell Lake?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
beefcake

Since 11 Jul 2007
140 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Jul 28, 11 10:23 am    Crescent or Odell Lake? Reply with quote

Has anyone kited these lakes in OR recently? Headed to Cascade Lakes area for some camping. Interested in where a good accessibel launch is. I know there is some kiting at Wickiup but looks like Odell may have the more consistent wind. Any beta would be appeciated on launches and yes I used the search tool.

Ringorama

Since 01 May 2006
64 Posts
Wilsonville

PostSun Jul 31, 11 1:44 pm    Cresent vs Odell Reply with quote

Ive kited both (been a few years). Odell is preferred, as the wind comes like clockwork in the afternoon. But the launch is REALLY tricky (water launch off the boat ramp dock on the north shore midway. Cresent winds are real inconsistant, but kitable if your experienced. Both take a back seat to the coast or the gorge. However, the scenery is excellant and the water feels super clean. Good luck, boost over a couple of fishing boats, and let us know how it goes.

Stagecoach

Since 07 May 2009
79 Posts

PostMon Aug 01, 11 12:39 am     Reply with quote

I had a buddy that tried to kite on crescent and it was a boat launch and super gusty. I'd bring the fishing gear instead.

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Aug 02, 11 8:45 am     Reply with quote

I' ve kited crescent on a south wind- awesome day from the north beach with onshore wind. Best kiting is on wickiup's southern beaches with nw winds- 14m everytime. Odell has the best wind- drift or boat launch needed on west winds. Odell can nuke. Waldo lake also really blows but haven't bagged that one yet. In general, success at the cascade lakes require backup plans because you can get skunked more than I care to admit. I always plan a backup bike ride or hike.

If you really need a kiting day, it's usually better to drive to the gorge or weekend at the coast.

Cheers

beefcake

Since 11 Jul 2007
140 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Aug 13, 11 9:00 am    Odell Lake Reply with quote

Ended up camping at Odell Lake, by far the most consistent and strongest wind of the lakes in that region IMO. As the others have stated, lake is sorrounded by trees making it difficult to find an accessible launch. Boat launch or a drift launch from Odell Creek camground or Paradise campground boat ramp are probably the best choices. The wind picks up like clockwork around 4pm and blows till about 8pm. I would say it was blowing 15-20 mph both days I was there, perfect for a 12-14m. I did see two windsurfers and a kiter out on the water (I think he launched from Princess boat ramp). Although I did not get to kite (rented a boat and went fishing instead), I did scope out the launches and attached some photos for others to see. On the west side of the lake near Odell Lake Resort there is nice camping at Odell Creek campground. Wind is onshore here as wind is coming from the NW-W typically. Water in front of camp is only a few feet deep, perfect spot for a drift launch. I was about to attempt this but opted to just chill and drink beer instead. When I go back to this lake, this is where I will try and launch from. See first two photos. The other launch is boat ramp at Princess on the North side of lake midway, see last two photos. Water in front of boat ramp is about 4-5 feet deep, you could drift launch or have buddy hold your kite on end of ramp and launch. When I was there it seemed this area had a wind shadow maybe it was the wind direction. Doable. Next time back, I will kite this lake. Cheers!

Odell creek campground - drift launch
 Odell creek campground - drift launch  IMG_0193.jpg 
looking west from campground - white caps
 looking west from campground - white caps  IMG_0194.jpg 
princess boat ramp launch
 princess boat ramp launch  IMG_0206.jpg 
looking east from boatramp
 looking east from boatramp  IMG_0213.jpg 

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostThu Aug 25, 11 9:48 am     Reply with quote

Stayed at Odell Lake Resort for a couple of nights earlier this week. Dead calm in the morning then plenty of wind for fully powered 9-11m kite mid to late afternoon. It was easy to self launch off a little river rock bar right in front of the resort lodge. The wind was pretty steady, water was choppy but i was kiting right in the lee shore corner of the lake and didn't bother searching for flat spots.

Definitely worth bringing kites if you go up there

DrewB

Since 16 Aug 2006
381 Posts
PDX
Obsessed

PostThu Aug 25, 11 12:20 pm     Reply with quote

I drove past Odell a few weeks back and it was capped out coast to coast!

If it wasn't hour 10 of a 12 hour haul back from Lake Tahoe with my wife and two aggro kids, I would have totally stopped for a session.

Thanks for posting the good launch locations.
I'll keep this spot in mind for a kite/fish trip next summer.

beefcake

Since 11 Jul 2007
140 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Aug 25, 11 2:32 pm     Reply with quote

Way to get after it, yeah that river rock bar is definetly a good spot to launch, really anwhere on that east corner near Odell resort and campground is pretty shallow for self launch. No pics?

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostFri Aug 26, 11 8:40 am     Reply with quote

beefcake wrote:
No pics?

No pics of my dangling, how about a couple of sunsets..........Smile

beefcake

Since 11 Jul 2007
140 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Aug 26, 11 2:34 pm     Reply with quote

Fair enough, that second photo is schweet!

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Aug 26, 11 5:04 pm     Reply with quote

I've windsurfed Odell a couple times and been lit doing it. I've bailed on the kiting due to sketch launches. I'll have to give it another chance when there's an opportunity. Is the launch on the eastern side of the lake straight onshore? It sounds like you can probably go out a ways from the tree line. Sounds sweet. Thanks for the beta.

Cheers

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostTue Aug 30, 11 8:06 am     Reply with quote

caps wrote:
Is the launch on the eastern side of the lake straight onshore? It sounds like you can probably go out a ways from the tree line.
Cheers

Yes, it is the south eastern end of the lake and dead onshore. The stream flowing out of the lake makes a break in the trees so you can get a kite into the air. You need to be powered enough to start going upwind on the first tack so you get some room. Easy to self land back into the same spot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: