Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kiteloops... rough on the knees?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Aug 15, 06 2:03 pm    Kiteloops... rough on the knees? Reply with quote

My knees have been pretty sore the day after kiting the last week or so. I was thinking it might have something to do with doing more kiteloops lately... anyone else notice this? is it worth getting worried about or should I just take it easy for awhile?

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostTue Aug 15, 06 2:07 pm     Reply with quote

Phil,

Were you watching Shannon throw down some of the real deal kiteloops last night. Holy "Girl Going Huge" Batman, and she was throwing them solidly both directions... Sorry man, don't think your kiteloops are inducing much pain... Don't get me wrong, they look great, but your average height is about four feet!!!

Hold the BOTG tomorrow and Shannon beats most of the guys as well... Good thing she has young knees as I saw her hit HARD a few times.

Jon

jdk

Since 21 Dec 2005
333 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Aug 15, 06 2:13 pm     Reply with quote

Go BIG Dude!!! you can always get them replaced down the line Wink

jdk

Since 21 Dec 2005
333 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Aug 15, 06 2:17 pm     Reply with quote

what is 'BIG' these days anyway? i mean like in feet off the water or whatever, maybe distance...

seems like lots of sports have basically gotten to the point where if you aren't risking extreme bodily harm and/or death, you aren't winnng contests. i'm glad i don't even think about that anymore, i'm a cruiser

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Aug 15, 06 2:28 pm     Reply with quote

The height may not be great but some of the landings are pretty tough... I don't know I just noticed the soreness and the loops seem to coincide. I have never had any trouble with my knees ever, and I have heard bad stories about them. Just wanted to know if there are any warning signs are things I should do or avoid.

Shannon's loops are nuts, I think on one hand they look cool, but they are also a little too crazy. That much height and power can't be healthy. (Though it does look sick.) Maybe I am just jealous. Very Happy

Last edited by pkh on Tue Aug 15, 06 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

jdk

Since 21 Dec 2005
333 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Aug 15, 06 2:28 pm     Reply with quote

They do look Badass though and I can image its quite the rush getting yanked like that and then riding away clean...

shannon

Since 15 Aug 2006
126 Posts

Bolstad Clan

PostTue Aug 15, 06 2:40 pm     Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the props on the kiteloops. I'm still learning but I know that will look really sick when I can smoothly land them.

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostTue Aug 15, 06 2:41 pm     Reply with quote

Hey Phil,

From what it sounds like I'm no Shannon, but I have been doing some kiteloops (of low to medium height) and occasionally I'll come down a bit too hard and fast and feel the pain in whatever part of the body hits (usually legs and butt). Despite my body getting sore my knees have luckily seemed fine so far. I bet a lot of it depends on your specifics, board, stance, how you land your jumps/ride. Maybe you already do this, but if I'm coming in too hard and fast I try to land far back on my tail to absorb the shock and not hit flat water really hard. Sometimes this causes me to hit hard with my butt, but I'd rather have a sore butt than injured ankle or knee. Otherwise I guess you can try to look for something in your riding/setup that might make your knees tweak a bit. Loose straps seem like they might increase stress on legs during hard landings (any one-footed or board-off landings lately? Wink ) Or better yet you should request a professional ergonomic evaluation of your setup Smile...which gives me an idea for a 4-6 hours/day job.

Hope your knees feel better so you can continue ripping.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostTue Aug 15, 06 2:42 pm     Reply with quote

I can probably think of a couple reasons why your knees hurt, but they have nothing to do with kiteboarding.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 15, 06 3:47 pm     Reply with quote

That one that broke my leash at the BOG, definately took a tole on my knee, it was sore for a couple days after, but its good now. Time to go kite.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Aug 15, 06 3:52 pm     Reply with quote

pdxmonkeyboy wrote:
I can probably think of a couple reasons why your knees hurt, but they have nothing to do with kiteboarding.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Gee, thanks.

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Aug 15, 06 4:13 pm     Reply with quote

overuse injuries of almost any kind are bad. i think you will almost always regret pushing it, when you could have let it heal instead of becoming chronic. i have learned, or failed to learn, this lesson many times.

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostTue Aug 15, 06 5:09 pm    Loopies Reply with quote

Kiteloops hurt the knees, I have bumps on top of both of my kneecaps from hard landings. The only thing you really need to worry about is having too strong a board, then your knee will break like mine did last year. You only live once, however, so I would recommend going as big as possible no matter the consequence. TIMMY!!!!!!!!

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostTue Aug 15, 06 7:45 pm     Reply with quote

That's what Orthopedic Surgeons are for! Thumb's Up

NateDogg

Since 05 Mar 2005
627 Posts
I caught your mom on
cineaptic.com

PostTue Aug 15, 06 10:56 pm     Reply with quote

From what I've seen shorter lines seem to help with the total freefall/oh shit/knee breaker landings when you're seriosuly powered on a kiteloop. The shorter your lines the less hight you need to get before doing the loop to swing under the kite on the landing and get a little cusion from the lift of the kite overhead. The move will be more violent and powered, but the landing should be a bit softer. Kind of a tradeoff there. Still gonna come in hot as hell, but you wont get that dropping sensation. Thats why you only see Lenten on 20 meter lines.

Shit Ian, I thought you died on that kiteloop. You were a ways on the outside too yeah?

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Aug 16, 06 7:29 am     Reply with quote

Here's some good info on knees:

http://www.apta.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home&TEMPLATE=/CM/HTMLDisplay.cfm&CONTENTID=20443

Knee is still sore this morning... hmm take another day off or just go and worry about getting it fixed in the offseason.... Confused

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 16, 06 8:11 am     Reply with quote

Yeah I cheat death all the time... Rolling Eyes

Yea I was a little ways out, ended up being a lot farther out after I just drifted for awhile. I was really surprised once I floated up to the surface and my kite was gone, I never thought that I could break a leash when it was connected to my 5th. But shit happens, maybe I will have better luck next year.

Anyone see the one kiteloop I landed tho?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: